General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet. Which do you prefer?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 11:02 AM
Benway
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

My experience is that a 1/2 and no windshield will damn near rip your head off at highway speeds. 3/4 less so, but then either of these without a windshield... you should wear a face shield of some sort. A pebble or large bug in the face at highway speeds can ruin your whole day. If you're doing highways, you really need to gear accordingly.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:21 PM
Ockam
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wore just the harley half helmet for awhile...took off the visor to prevent lift and blow back.

Then, this year I got a headset for my birthday, picked up a Fulmer 3/4 helmet to mount it...holy crap, I am ditching the 1/2 helmet this year and just going with a 3/4 from now on.

The Fulmer's run a size small.
I want to try the Bell 500 for my everyday riding and keep the Fulmer for my long trips to communicate with the mounted headset.

Old 02-07-2012, 03:56 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

I believe I've finally found the reason for the head shakes caused by buffering.

I bought a new helmets for the wife and I in 07 when I bought the the bike new.
We don't have to wear helmets here in IND. So we seldom do.

Anyway, Mine fit me or so I though it did, trouble was it felt good while trying it on, but it always shook my head really bad while riding.

I bought a LG and got the wife a SM back in 07, but Last summer I tried on the wife's small for the heck of it, which was tight, but after I wore it for a couple days it stretch out and didn't give me any hot spots.

I decided to wear it on the 5 day bike trip I took with my son last summer.

Amazingly I didn't mind it at all. But the biggest thing I noticed was I didn't have any buffering at all... NONE. at any speed during the 1800 mile vacation I took on the bike..

So cutting down the Windshshied (twice) didn't help.

All the time I just needed the Helmet to be SNUG.

I've since then measured my head and I should wear a med. but the JVC small fits fine.

That being said I do like the BELL custom 500 look cause it dont give the Mushroom look, Just saying get one that's snug so U don't get the buffering from a too loose Helmet.

Old 02-07-2012, 04:50 PM
mike5380
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wear a Shoei RJ Platnum, and it's not the cheapest helmet out there. It's a 3/4 face and I do not use a shield, just glasses. No sore neck even on day trips. I live in a helmet state, but even if I lived in a no-helmet state, I'd still have a DOT helmet. It only takes one crash to make the point about protecting your head. I won't even consider a novelty helmet.

Mike

Old 02-07-2012, 05:12 PM
RedNose44
Extreme HDF Member

Received 7,084 Likes on 2,601 Posts

I have 3 DOT and 2 non DOT 1/2 helmets. All my DOT helmets suck at speed (I don't run a fairing or shield on either bike). I would think the 3/4 helmet would be better, but I hate DOT 1/2's.

Old 02-07-2012, 05:13 PM
4 inch pistons
Road Master
Received 142 Likes on 82 Posts

We have a law here..........what can I say. I have a HD half helmet (made by HJC) in black chrome which is my first choice. I switch with a Scorpion half-- 400 I think. I also have the 3/4 Scorpion and I also have a leather covered orange and black half helmet. All DOT approved---- but not "wife approved". Wife has a 3/4 pinkish with flowers and designs as it blocks the wind.

I like the half helmet because of the "open effect" if nothing else. FWIT--years ago I did a mountain trip with a full face and it was about the same as riding in a car with no radio.

Anyway.... JMHO which ain't worth much

Last edited by 4 inch pistons; 02-07-2012 at 05:15 PM.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:15 PM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Looked at a few more Bell 500 style helmets today.

Check out the Z1R Jimmy (cheapest one at about $55) or Jimmy Retro for about $75.

Also, the Fulmer V2 - they even have a nice looking Captain America helmet called the "Easy Rider."

Old 02-07-2012, 05:16 PM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Benway
My experience is that a 1/2 and no windshield will damn near rip your head off at highway speeds.
I'm guessing you're used to a windshield. When I ride with a half on the highway at 70-80, with no windshield, it's no problem.

Old 02-07-2012, 05:19 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

I have cut my helmets down to 2 that I wear on my FLHX, a carbon weave novelty helmet and a Shoei RJ Platinum 3/4. I don't like the Dot 1/2 helmets, they move around on me too much. Yes I know how to fit a helmet. My head is shaped like the creature on alien.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:23 PM
dynawideglider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oct1949
I believe I've finally found the reason for the head shakes caused by buffering.

I bought a new helmets for the wife and I in 07 when I bought the the bike new.
We don't have to wear helmets here in IND. So we seldom do.

Anyway, Mine fit me or so I though it did, trouble was it felt good while trying it on, but it always shook my head really bad while riding.

I bought a LG and got the wife a SM back in 07, but Last summer I tried on the wife's small for the heck of it, which was tight, but after I wore it for a couple days it stretch out and didn't give me any hot spots.

I decided to wear it on the 5 day bike trip I took with my son last summer.

Amazingly I didn't mind it at all. But the biggest thing I noticed was I didn't have any buffering at all... NONE. at any speed during the 1800 mile vacation I took on the bike..

So cutting down the Windshshied (twice) didn't help.

All the time I just needed the Helmet to be SNUG.

I've since then measured my head and I should wear a med. but the JVC small fits fine.

That being said I do like the BELL custom 500 look cause it dont give the Mushroom look, Just saying get one that's snug so U don't get the buffering from a too loose Helmet.
Interesting theory, I may have to try this.

I have 2 HD Hybrid Helmets, a spoiler half and 3/4. I never use the 3/4. I get buffeting from the little hurricane that, seemingly unique to an SG, comes in at knee level and runs up your body.

Without that wind effect the spoiler would seem to be a very wind efficient helmet, but others may know more about this.

Quick Reply: Helmet. Which do you prefer?