General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would it take to polish scratches out of chrome??

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 03:03 PM
JUS 1 MO
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Scratches on chrome don't polish out. I have tried it all at one time or other. Sterling silver polish worked best of everything I tried but the scratch is still there. If you find anything other than re-chrome, patient it...

Old 02-06-2012, 07:33 PM
QehQeh
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by arcticharleyman
The first and most important way to make those barely noticeable scratches even less noticeable is to get all your riding gear on, sit on the bike, start it up and get out there and ride.

If you do anything with your bike (besides sit and stare at it in the garage) it's going to get those fine scratches. You'll stop noticing them sooner or later. Avoid using abrasive cleaners and use clean microfiber cloths for washing and polishing.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:51 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

I suggest you get some chrome polish at the auto parts store, follow the directions and give it a try. Chrome polish loads, fills and smooths the surface of the chrome and those tiny little imperfections that give the chrome surface a crappy look, basically vanish. If your talking about heavy scratches like some one keyed your car, then we are not talking about the same thing. I assume your talking about the tiny hairline crazing that comes from washing, drying, road dust and wiping the bike down. The ones that look awful in the sunlight and under florescent lights. If thats the case, yes.... you absolutely CAN get rid of those with chrome polish.

Last edited by bikerlaw; 02-06-2012 at 10:00 PM.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:45 PM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts

Like I said earlier, I have polished light scratches out of chrome many times. The key is you have to use a buffing wheel. You cannot do this by hand. You need the high RPM's which produces the heat to slightly melt the block. I get most of my polishing compounds from the Eastwood Company.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:16 PM
xwhyz1959
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 1,756 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
I suggest you get some chrome polish at the auto parts store, follow the directions and give it a try. Chrome polish loads, fills and smooths the surface of the chrome and those tiny little imperfections that give the chrome surface a crappy look, basically vanish. If your talking about heavy scratches like some one keyed your car, then we are not talking about the same thing. I assume your talking about the tiny hairline crazing that comes from washing, drying, road dust and wiping the bike down. The ones that look awful in the sunlight and under florescent lights. If thats the case, yes.... you absolutely CAN get rid of those with chrome polish.
Yeah, those are the ones I'm talking about. Like I said, your the only one who knows they're there. Your eyes seem drawn to them everytime you walk past your bike in the garage. No deep scratches on the bike, just the really slight one that I know come with time. I got over 40,000 miles on the bike, and just want to keep trying to keep it looking as good as I can, for as long as I can.