General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Torque Wrench

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 08:05 PM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Which Torque Wrench

I want to get a quality 1/2" drive torque wrench. I already have a 1/4" and 3/8" Craftsman click type and they work but are not the most accurate ones out there. Which one should I be looking at? I was thinking Snap On? If I go in that direction, which one?

Old 02-04-2012, 08:15 PM
SIDECAR BOB
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

how do you know they arnt accurate? all torque wrenches need calibrated to be proven accurate. and never heard anything about craftsman not being accurate out of the box, but then again harbor freight torque wrenches test consistantly very high in the accuracy department.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:33 PM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member

i sure as hell wouldn't buy a Snap-On torque wrench..and i'm a mechanic. i haven't bought any snap on tools in a few yrs now. they are rediculous in price and our tool guy is a tool himself.. don't fall into the digi tech bells and whistles with torque wrenches. look for a cornwell dealer and buy a decent one from them. Blue Point brand comes to mind.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:37 PM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by FroggyFatBoy
our tool guy is a tool himself..

I just spit beer on my keyboard! I will look in to the Blue point stuff. Back in my past life, I installed stereos for a living. The Snap On guy sold BP stuff too. I remember it being really good quality.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:44 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by SIDECAR BOB
how do you know they arnt accurate? all torque wrenches need calibrated to be proven accurate.
Just had my two Craftsmans and a Proto calibrated.They got the stickers so I guess there good.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:46 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

No problems w/my Craftsman & Kobalt torque wrenches...unless you plan on being a mech-head - why go overboard???

Old 02-04-2012, 08:46 PM
SIDECAR BOB
Road Master

Originally Posted by 1flhtk4me
Just had my two Craftsmans and a Proto calibrated.They got the stickers so I guess there good.
mine too, never had anyone complain about the accuracy on em before either

Old 02-04-2012, 08:54 PM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by themouth!!!
I just spit beer on my keyboard! I will look in to the Blue point stuff. Back in my past life, I installed stereos for a living. The Snap On guy sold BP stuff too. I remember it being really good quality.

case in point.. mechanic A bought new tool box, Mech B bought A's trade in. Snap on guy charged B a $400 handling fee.. and never touched the box.. This happened before i started working there. when i found out about it and the story was confirmed, i paid my bill off and haven't bought anything from him since. Unfortunately mech B was a young kid and no one ever told him how things are supposed to work and what to watch for in tool guy deals.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:04 PM
Ed_Just_Ed
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Father in law is a Snap On seller/distributor/whatever. Anyway, the Bluepoint line of tools is the same stuff as the Snap On with just a different label. They did it so they could expand their market and sell to people unable/unwilling to pay for the Snap On name. Kinda like Ralph Lauren sells Chap brand clothes slightly cheaper.

Good to hear about the Harbor Freight torque wrenches testing well. I need to get one myself.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:35 PM
Ultra-Rick
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

One home method of calibrating clicker torque wrenches is to connect it to an old fashioned beam type torque wrench, via combinations of socket and bolts or a lot of times just using the right size 12 point socket. I keep one beam type torque wrench just for this purpose.

A reasonable quality bean wrench (as long as it's cared for and not banged around) should be accurate for life - no calibrating required. Beam torque wrenches have "built in" accuracy - unless you severely over stress one to the point of changing the physical properties of the steel. You may need to zero the scale (make sure the pointer is on the zero point of the scale).

Set your clicker to the desired torque level, and slowly, gradually, apply torque while keeping a close eye on the pointer of the beam wrench. Note the value on the scale just before/as the clicker "clicks". Compare the actual value (from the beam wrench) to the set value (on the clicker), and you have an idea of the accuracy. Do this at various settings. Then either adjust your clicker wrench for accuracy (and test again), or make a calibration chart for future usage.

Remember to "back off" (or otherwise zero) the setting on the clicker to unload the spring, and it should remain accurate for a long time.

I have a couple of the cheap Harbor Freight clickers and test them using this method and they all test well throughout their range and hold their calibration good.

Quick Reply: Which Torque Wrench