General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sturgis 2012

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 04:28 PM
Lunch Meat
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sturgis 2012

I was planning a June trip thru the Black Hills with the wife, but she wants to check out Sturgis. What the hell, why not. I haven't been there for years and she wants to check it out. Figure we would just take our tent and camp somewhere out there. Would it be a problem finding a place to camp once we are out there or should we reserve something somewhere? I didn't know how full things got. I'm not sure if we would stay in the same place for more than one night, that's why I am thinking about not reserving anything. Just wondering what everyone's thoughts were. Thanks in advance.

Old 02-04-2012, 04:34 PM
BUZZARD II
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The whole answer depends on, Sturgis in June or Sturgis in August?

Old 02-04-2012, 05:03 PM
Lunch Meat
Tourer

August. Sorry, we are going to the rally.

Old 02-04-2012, 05:13 PM
paulpa
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lunch Meat
I was planning a June trip thru the Black Hills with the wife, but she wants to check out Sturgis. What the hell, why not. I haven't been there for years and she wants to check it out. Figure we would just take our tent and camp somewhere out there. Would it be a problem finding a place to camp once we are out there or should we reserve something somewhere? I didn't know how full things got. I'm not sure if we would stay in the same place for more than one night, that's why I am thinking about not reserving anything. Just wondering what everyone's thoughts were. Thanks in advance.
i've been a few times with no reservations,,,,there is always some campground that has room for one more tent,,,,just remember the earlier you get there the better choices and more chance for shade and a level spot,,,,

Old 02-04-2012, 07:52 PM
Bricklayer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,822 Likes on 1,467 Posts

Originally Posted by paulpa
i've been a few times with no reservations,,,,there is always some campground that has room for one more tent,,,,just remember the earlier you get there the better choices and more chance for shade and a level spot,,,,
What he said. Lamphere or Creekside CG always have room.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:06 PM
davidwruth
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 100 Posts

That's why I reserved my hotel just after last years rally. Fortunately for me I am using points so I get to stay for free

Old 02-04-2012, 11:52 PM
DinoVelvet
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Lunch Meat
if you go to www.shadevalley.com you'll love it there and you won't need a reservation...they have shitloads of room and are very accomodating.

Old 02-05-2012, 04:09 AM
cdemarse
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DinoVelvet
if you go to www.shadevalley.com you'll love it there and you won't need a reservation...they have shitloads of room and are very accomodating.
I agree. Stayed there last year and will be returning again this year. Nice people. VERY clean and always had hot water.

Old 02-05-2012, 06:41 AM
leachman
Road Captain
Received 92 Likes on 70 Posts

check out spurcampground.com this is where we are staying. $15 per person a night for camping or $95 for the rally per person. Tracy and her husband are really awesome people. Good luck.

Old 02-05-2012, 06:58 AM
Riich
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You won't have any problems finding camping space whatsoever. And if it is like last year, when the numbers were way down, campgrounds are even more freed up.

Go and enjoy, you will have a great time.

Quick Reply: Sturgis 2012