General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Welcome to West Virginia!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012 | 06:33 PM
firefighter616
Club Member

Originally Posted by harleydavis
I was born and raised in Parkersburg and in the early 70's rode my Sportster all over the state. Moved in 1975 and haven't had my bike with me when I visit family, but certainly plan on renting a bike the next time I'm there and "rediscover" my home state!
My mother was born here in Parkersburg
I moved here after my parents died
It's changed a lot, but still a nice place

Very Clannish outside of Wood Co, I like it
Great riding, hunting and beautiful

Old 01-31-2012 | 06:42 PM
krwould
Club Member
Veteran: Air Force

Found a lot of good riding in WV... most people I have met have been friendly.

Old 01-31-2012 | 07:38 PM
SamStone
Outstanding HDF Member

Beautiful country and roads. It sucks to cross back over the border into Ohio.

Old 01-31-2012 | 07:48 PM
g money
Account Retired

A little south of Seneca rocks, the road up to the highest point in WVa is my favorite.

Old 01-31-2012 | 08:15 PM
firefighter616
Club Member

Originally Posted by SamStone
Beautiful country and roads. It sucks to cross back over the border into Ohio.
Ohio has some nice roads too, don't sell yourself short

Old 01-31-2012 | 09:23 PM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Village Idiot™
I once met up with a group of riders inbetween Baltimore and DC back when I owned an RC51 to do a nice long ride out to the Eastern Shore. One of the guys asked me WTF I would ride all the way out there when I lived in WV. I didn't know what he was talking about until after the ride.

The rest of the country can suck it. We have the best roads in the US.
I would rate WV's roads maybe in the top 15 out of 48 states, maybe top 12 if riding a dual sport/ adventure bike because so many of them are in ill-repair. What WV has going for it is almost all roads include curves and hills, traffic on the little fun to ride roads is usually light.
Negatively, the above mentioned ill-repair, pot holes, grit and gravel on many corners kicked up by trucks cutting corners too tight, and the usual congestion in populated areas.
Overall I'm happy to ride WV.

Old 01-31-2012 | 09:23 PM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by firefighter616
Ohio has some nice roads too, don't sell yourself short
Ohio has some GREAT roads!

Old 01-31-2012 | 09:25 PM
jwright302
Tourer

Fairmont WV here, just south of Morgantown. I ride a lot of RT50, mostly on the western side of Romney though. Its hard to beat WV when it comes to mountain roads that are usually kept up good and never any heavy traffic outside of town.

If you are heading west on 50 past Romney through the little piece of MD, back into WV heading over the mountain (IMO the best part of that stretch of 50) , you'll cross a iron bridge that they just painted last summer. A few miles past that bridge right before you hit RT 72 (right takes you to Rowlesburg) theres a bar on the right called "The Riverview", awesome little place that has ice cold beer and a screened in back deck where you can kick back and watch the river. Thats my favorite beer joint ever. The people there are typical wvians, super nice. If you ever stop there you'll never be able to pass it up again.

I end up at black water falls a few times a summer, my girlfriend loves that place. Seneca Rocks is a must visit like others have said also.

Another favorite ride of mine is RT 4 from Sutton WV to Clendenin WV just north of Charleston WV, really twisty, follows the Elk river and always has light traffic because it basically parallels I79. My parents live in Clendenin so I make that a weekend trip a few times a summer. Seems like a lesser known route, sure beats the interstate, but its a heck of a lot slower route.

A couple years ago a buddy and I took off on a 4 day ride west on RT50 from Clarksburg WV and ended up in ILL, then circled back down through KY and ended up coming back up the Ohio river back to Parkerburg WV. RT50 is great because its scenic but also has stretches of 4 lane so you can still make decent time.

Originally Posted by Village Idiot™
Anyone ever ride here? I'm in the Eastern part of the state, but I enjoy to occasional Romney run and I have a friend in Motown that rides who I visit on the bike for some good ol' mountain boy fun.

I once met up with a group of riders inbetween Baltimore and DC back when I owned an RC51 to do a nice long ride out to the Eastern Shore. One of the guys asked me WTF I would ride all the way out there when I lived in WV. I didn't know what he was talking about until after the ride.

The rest of the country can suck it. We have the best roads in the US.