General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Biggest difrence between Bikers of the 70's and these "Bikers" we got now..

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 01:25 PM
Angelfire36
Road Warrior
Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I didn't start riding (on the back) of bikes until about 1982. I was 17. I remember the fun we used to have, riding free. No helmets, no insurance, most times no registration either. Cops would pull you over and just give you a warning. We would head out to the mountains or the beach; build fires and just party our asses off. Yeah, we were taking chances and I wouldn't want my kids to try to pull off some of the things we did. Just glad we all (mostly) came out of it in one piece.

I guess we probably look a little like yuppy bikers now. Our garage burned to the ground along with half our house last August. We had to replace everything we had. Our old garage was full of old bikes/parts/tires/you name it. Non-replaceable tools and things they just don't make anymore. Now everything is new. Our bikes our even much newer than what we have ridden in the past. I'm not ashamed to admit I wanted bikes that we could spend more time riding on then wrenching on. I talked Husband into getting a newer bike and I traded in my bike on a newer model. So, I guess we are changing with the times, but we won't ever forget how it used to be.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:45 PM
RoaringRigid
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,868 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by Pondskipper
We lived in a different country in the '70's, life was pretty good, my father was out of the airforce by then and had a good job, I spent my summer elbow deep in the piles of motorcycles we seemed to always have in the garage or tearing up the woods on my crosser.

Not in Warner Robins by chance?

Old 03-09-2012, 03:39 AM
Pondskipper
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Wrong airforce.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:36 AM
krwould
Club Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by RoaringRigid
I can tell many of you didn't grow up in the South, chatting about nice cops. I got picked up once 15 yrs old and I could grow a full beard. Deputy Sheriff kept asking how old I was, I kept telling him 15. He kept asking. Well, he asked two more times before he stopped on Dunbar Rd yanked me out of the back and beat my *** until I cried like a 5 yr old and I guess he then realized I was 15.

Then called my dad and he came picked me up and dad beat me in front of the cops until I cried like a 5 yr old. I remember the cops thinking that was the right thing for my dad to be doing.

1 simple fact growing up in middle Georgia in late 70s and early 80s. You just did not F with the cops no matter who you were.
Hmmmm... seems I had a run in with one down by Atlanta back in the late 70's.. had a nice little deal goin where a set of railroad tracks and a redlight was the bait... can't stop two wheels well on them fugged up crossings... long story too short, he never got his azz outta the car but yelled on the bullhorn "shut that motorsicle off and walk back here realll slooow", with his pistola pointed at me out the window of his cruiser... not cop bashin but that's the way it was with a yankee plate ridin southbound...

Old 03-09-2012, 11:36 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,034 Likes on 17,924 Posts

Originally Posted by krwould
Hmmmm... seems I had a run in with one down by Atlanta back in the late 70's.. had a nice little deal goin where a set of railroad tracks and a redlight was the bait... can't stop two wheels well on them fugged up crossings... long story too short, he never got his azz outta the car but yelled on the bullhorn "shut that motorsicle off and walk back here realll slooow", with his pistola pointed at me out the window of his cruiser... not cop bashin but that's the way it was with a yankee plate ridin southbound...
I've got a few good Barney stories but I've been told not to repeat them or a time out will fall on me .

The popo are people too you got good and bad , had a number as friends over the years and met a bunch more I wouldn't **** on if their pants leg was on fire . If you've been around and on 2 wheels long enough your going to meet both , way it is .

PS Haven't been back south east since since my little adventures through there either . Gotten better only good thing about the yuppie flood the last 20 years , but I'm still not gonna get a haircut ..................

Old 03-09-2012, 12:03 PM
vet767
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
I've got a few good Barney stories but I've been told not to repeat them or a time out will fall on me .

The popo are people too you got good and bad , had a number as friends over the years and met a bunch more I wouldn't **** on if their pants leg was on fire . If you've been around and on 2 wheels long enough your going to meet both , way it is .

PS Haven't been back south east since since my little adventures through there either . Gotten better only good thing about the yuppie flood the last 20 years , but I'm still not gonna get a haircut ..................
Then again there are people in the southland that even the leos don't much mess with and if they are your friends you kinda get a pass too. and I don't much see the barbers either

Old 03-09-2012, 12:08 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,034 Likes on 17,924 Posts

Originally Posted by vet767
Then again there are people in the southland that even the leos don't much mess with and if they are your friends you kinda get a pass too. and I don't much see the barbers either
My old lady gives me the hint when shes comes through after shopping and tosses me a pack of hair ties and the old stink eye

Old 03-09-2012, 12:14 PM
hagger
Banned
Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

In the '70's concert tickets were 4, 5 & 6 bucks. Now they want like 80 bucks to see the same bands. Greedy bastages!

Old 03-09-2012, 12:20 PM
hagger
Banned
Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
My old lady gives me the hint when shes comes through after shopping and tosses me a pack of hair ties and the old stink eye
Yeah everybody is shavin their heads nowdays. Had my hair long since away back minus military & a job here & there. To date it ain't seen scissors in about 10 yrs. If I cut it now it prolly won't grow back.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:26 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got lucky and just have a receding hair line. One of my younger brothers when in his mid 20s inherited the chrome dome from our grandfather.
He would let his hair grow long. Of course it was only long in the back.
My mom told him, "Cut your hair. Who do you think you are fooling?"

Quick Reply: Biggest difrence between Bikers of the 70's and these "Bikers" we got now..