General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Biggest difrence between Bikers of the 70's and these "Bikers" we got now..

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 07:21 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,632 Likes on 2,735 Posts

Originally Posted by The Guardian
How old is you daughter!? Kidding
I'd tell you to behave, but she can take care of herself pretty well...
and her hubby is a really good shot, too.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:59 PM
George C
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Read a lot into that didn't you ? Shows well defined and deepest held prejudices , a machine can't be a god there isn't such a thing sorry . What I was speaking about was a personal choice to pursue a lifestyle of my own choosing the way I wanted to live it without towing someone else's version of what the think you need to and buddy I have enough credits & OJT plus time and grade to qualify for an ME degree a time or 2 over . I've been white collar & had a business a short while , wrong time & location for both those and I didn't like the people nor how little life I had left . Want to justify having no life outside chasing a buck good for you doesn't mean we all worship at that alter .

I've very much enjoyed my life done & seen things most never will but that time has come & gone too bad for most it was something that will never be again , just that right confluence of thing and point in history .
No problem here, and I think each thinks the other has deep rooted prejudices.
I don't have a degree of any sort. One year of college till I decided I probably couldn't work for anybody, or toe someone else's line except my own.
Did things my own way and now fully control my life. We sound somewhat similar.

One thing I can tell you, the things that will "never be again" are always happening anew. You just need to understand that the good old days are made every day..

Last edited by George C; 02-17-2012 at 08:08 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:04 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,632 Likes on 2,735 Posts

Originally Posted by George C
...I think anybody who calls themselves a 'biker" is really just a person who needs to connect with a group to identify with...
I think you hit a bit of truth with this, and it could be the reason I've always considered myself a rider, not a biker, never been much of a group person, never been in a club of any kind; closest I've come to it might be the American Legion. But I don't have anything against bikers, lot of folks seem to like that lifestyle; none of them I've run into were anything like the criminal types the media likes to imply they're all like. Even as a solitary rider, I was outside mainstream society, occasionally caused friction, but didn't really care. Whether "biker" or "rider", in the 60's there was still a camaraderie among everyone that rode, that obviously doesn't exist to that extent today. Maybe that's why I feel like I can understand why someone would be a "biker", and occasionally wonder if I should have tried it. It sounds like you're a lot like me the way you feel about your bike, but not how we feel about other people on motorcycles; I'd probably get along with the average biker/rider just fine, and maybe bikers better than the average "rub".

Old 02-17-2012, 08:14 PM
George C
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I hear ya Imold.
The "RUB" thing just irritates me though.
Doesn't it sounds like sour grapes from a life with potential left on the table?
How dare the guy who has money buy a Harley. Just not right.
Well, HTF do someone think he made money, by sitting at a bar?

I'm not urban, I'm not a professional. Certainly not white collar. Those guys are broke these days.
I'm just open minded business person who likes to ride for fun and doesn't discriminate...

Last edited by George C; 02-17-2012 at 08:24 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:31 PM
Gypsylady
-Moderator-"Wench with a Wrench and Queen of Quips"
Received 1,980 Likes on 755 Posts

More labels.

Personally, I feel sorry for anyone who calls themselves a biker, because what they are saying, just like this thread is saying is that there are rules to the "club". Ways to act, how much money you can have and how comfortable your life is. I find that as a sign of mental weakness.
Some may say that "biker" is nothing more than a person who is desperately looking for some respect, and to attach themselves to something more than himself, generally because they can not gain respect from normal society. Bikers hate RUBs because RUBs are successful and most "bikers are broke. "Bikers" are bitching about RUBs, but Rubs are usually laughing because they have a functioning brain that can produce income for them to enjoy when their detractors can not.. Bikers desperately seek attention as a group or a certain fraternity to feel apart of something bigger, tougher and "intimidating" as a whole, and to share the same low rent district and the same sob story.My guess is that bikers, especially those who take such offense at others who dare wear a Harley tee-shirt while getting ice cream with their family are simple unhappy people with an ax to grind with anybody who rides a Harley and isn't down at the bars 7 nights a week with their arms tattooed to look like a comic book...
I think anybody who calls themselves a 'biker" is really just a person who needs to connect with a group to identify with in their "good old days" mentality, and to have one big giant pity party.. I feel sorry for you, but not much really.

I'm the guy you hate, but you really don't know why. I don't have tattoos, and I don't wear anything biker related. I just look like a tourist who rides a two wheeler.
I have a family and my own business who is responsible for the income of many employees. I worked hard in the agricultural business, and I was an over the road trucker in my 20's. I ride with doctors, lawyers and truckers. I ride with really hard core riders who simply love to ride their bikes and enjoy the Harley lifestyle without attaching labels or rules. I ride with businessmen and employees. I ride with rich people and poor people. l bikers. I would say a good 45 years or so. NEVER do I try to classify what and how someone else should act because it insults, and it's exactly what I perceive by most on this thread.
I've probably ridden motorcycles longer than 99% of you so-called old schoo

Here's something novel boys and girls. Stop hating.
Enjoy life. Enjoy the different people out there that your "biker" mentality won't allow you to actually meet and learn to know. Try it, you might like it, and you may actually make friends you never thought possible.

Oh, my. You say you NEVER classify right after you insult a whole pile of people who don't fit in the box you put them in. You say the ones who claim to be "real" are uneducated, broke & jealous of the "successful" (read that, rich) people. I'll give ya credit for having *****....But, for an "educated" person, you don't have much sense.

Have a nice day.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:37 PM
rocket23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,615 Likes on 2,870 Posts

Originally Posted by Gypsylady
Oh, my. You say you NEVER classify right after you insult a whole pile of people who don't fit in the box you put them in. You say the ones who claim to be "real" are uneducated, broke & jealous of the "successful" (read that, rich) people. I'll give ya credit for having *****....But, for an "educated" person, you don't have much sense.

Have a nice day.
I agree, here.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:40 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,041 Likes on 17,930 Posts

No problem here, and I think each thinks the other has deep rooted prejudices.
I don't have a degree of any sort. One year of college till I decided I probably couldn't work for anybody, or toe someone else's line except my own.
Did things my own way and now fully control my life. We sound somewhat similar.

One thing I can tell you, the things that will "never be again" are always happening anew. You just need to understand that the good old days are made every day..
Sounds like the same road just different speeds , never was much into brakes when younger didn't use them much people make memories not the times they happen in and a very few leave marks in history , most of us are just along for the ride what matters is what seat your in . The bleeding edge hanging over or the tourist's cheap seats . The views are very different one your watching life the other your living it .

My " never be again "comment is true in the context I made . That point in time with the world changing almost daily the younger generations for the first time in mass shaking off the conservative mantel our parents & grandparents where shoving down young throats , the advent of the space age mass media information and ect. ect. ect. You could hang a thumb out at 15 and hitch hike around the nation safely , people didn't lock doors , segregation was on the way out and people where doing and being what ever they wanted . I came almost to late for the party , the 70's it was already slowing and starting in another direction .

Birthing pains to be sure but mega corporations didn't own the world yet and manipulate regional wars for profit . If you rode and wanted to ramble about this country doing whatever to live for the day you truly where free and it always worked out somehow .

Those days and the freedoms , experiences and just watching the world change at breakneck speed are long gone . You either lived some of it, watched from the side lines caught in the mold your parents poured you into , or you get to read about like most today . It was a time in history that won't ever be again .

Unique .

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 02-17-2012 at 08:43 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:49 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Old 02-17-2012, 09:08 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,041 Likes on 17,930 Posts

Originally Posted by schumacher
Serious Cat looks like he just smelled his own fart .

Old 02-17-2012, 09:12 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Quick Reply: Biggest difrence between Bikers of the 70's and these "Bikers" we got now..