General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Biggest difrence between Bikers of the 70's and these "Bikers" we got now..

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 10:51 AM
George C
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

More labels.

Personally, I feel sorry for anyone who calls themselves a biker, because what they are saying, just like this thread is saying is that there are rules to the "club". Ways to act, how much money you can have and how comfortable your life is. I find that as a sign of mental weakness.
Some may say that "biker" is nothing more than a person who is desperately looking for some respect, and to attach themselves to something more than himself, generally because they can not gain respect from normal society. Bikers hate RUBs because RUBs are successful and most "bikers are broke. "Bikers" are bitching about RUBs, but Rubs are usually laughing because they have a functioning brain that can produce income for them to enjoy when their detractors can not.. Bikers desperately seek attention as a group or a certain fraternity to feel apart of something bigger, tougher and "intimidating" as a whole, and to share the same low rent district and the same sob story.My guess is that bikers, especially those who take such offense at others who dare wear a Harley tee-shirt while getting ice cream with their family are simple unhappy people with an ax to grind with anybody who rides a Harley and isn't down at the bars 7 nights a week with their arms tattooed to look like a comic book...
I think anybody who calls themselves a 'biker" is really just a person who needs to connect with a group to identify with in their "good old days" mentality, and to have one big giant pity party.. I feel sorry for you, but not much really.

I'm the guy you hate, but you really don't know why. I don't have tattoos, and I don't wear anything biker related. I just look like a tourist who rides a two wheeler.
I have a family and my own business who is responsible for the income of many employees. I worked hard in the agricultural business, and I was an over the road trucker in my 20's. I ride with doctors, lawyers and truckers. I ride with really hard core riders who simply love to ride their bikes and enjoy the Harley lifestyle without attaching labels or rules. I ride with businessmen and employees. I ride with rich people and poor people. NEVER do I try to classify what and how someone else should act because it insults, and it's exactly what I perceive by most on this thread.
I've probably ridden motorcycles longer than 99% of you so-called old school bikers. I would say a good 45 years or so.

Here's something novel boys and girls. Stop hating.
Enjoy life. Enjoy the different people out there that your "biker" mentality won't allow you to actually meet and learn to know. Try it, you might like it, and you may actually make friends you never thought possible.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:53 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by George C
More labels.
I wrote an article about that

Old 02-17-2012, 11:19 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,037 Likes on 17,927 Posts

More labels.

Personally, I feel sorry for anyone who calls themselves a biker, because what they are saying, just like this thread is saying is that there are rules to the "club". Ways to act, how much money you can have and how comfortable your life is. I find that as a sign of mental weakness.
Some may say that "biker" is nothing more than a person who is desperately looking for some respect, and to attach themselves to something more than himself, generally because they can not gain respect from normal society. Bikers hate RUBs because RUBs are successful and most "bikers are broke. "Bikers" are bitching about RUBs, but Rubs are usually laughing because they have a functioning brain that can produce income for them to enjoy when their detractors can not.. Bikers desperately seek attention as a group or a certain fraternity to feel apart of something bigger, tougher and "intimidating" as a whole, and to share the same low rent district and the same sob story.My guess is that bikers, especially those who take such offense at others who dare wear a Harley tee-shirt while getting ice cream with their family are simple unhappy people with an ax to grind with anybody who rides a Harley and isn't down at the bars 7 nights a week with their arms tattooed to look like a comic book...
I think anybody who calls themselves a 'biker" is really just a person who needs to connect with a group to identify with in their "good old days" mentality, and to have one big giant pity party.. I feel sorry for you, but not much really.

I'm the guy you hate, but you really don't know why. I don't have tattoos, and I don't wear anything biker related. I just look like a tourist who rides a two wheeler.
I have a family and my own business who is responsible for the income of many employees. I worked hard in the agricultural business, and I was an over the road trucker in my 20's. I ride with doctors, lawyers and truckers. I ride with really hard core riders who simply love to ride their bikes and enjoy the Harley lifestyle without attaching labels or rules. I ride with businessmen and employees. I ride with rich people and poor people. NEVER do I try to classify what and how someone else should act because it insults, and it's exactly what I perceive by most on this thread.
I've probably ridden motorcycles longer than 99% of you so-called old school bikers. I would say a good 45 years or so.

Enjoy life. Enjoy the different people out there that your "biker" mentality won't allow you to actually meet and learn to know. Try it, you might like it, and you may actually make friends you never thought possible.
Well if I'm not in that 1% it's close enough I can spit on it been in the saddle since 1970 and not as part time plaything or a hobby it was and has been the driving force behind my life since day one . Good for you on your life but it's yours not everyone else so pardon us if it doesn't mean dick to us out here , nothing personal .

About what a biker is or isn't you haven't got a clue my friend that's all to be said there , your views are just by product of the mass mind set today nothing wrong with that but that's the way it is .

You'll find the bulk of the hating is coming frustrated late comers to all this because they aren't getting what they thought it should be & experience so lots of finger pointing which is what white collars do best when things don't go their way , it's in their natural training for normal life . Where they lose sight of it is they themselves killed the very experience their seeking by shear numbers . Honestly most old school would love to be left alone to go about our lives as we always have , can't because we're tripping over the other guys constantly .

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 02-17-2012 at 11:38 AM.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:30 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

More labels.

You talk about stop the hating but your post sounds like you got a chip on your shoulder. I too am in the ag community and you would never know i ride. Its more about your aditude and how you judge people and thats what your doing. I think you have way too many sterio types and most riders dont fit those molds. Try being real and people will be more receptive.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:39 AM
oppirs
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope the title plus the original poster being removed got you a bit confused. I don't know if you read it from the start and posted now. You come off highly condescending!

Old 02-17-2012, 11:45 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Old 02-17-2012, 11:55 AM
jgcable
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Here are the differences I see.

New school HD bikers have more money than the old school guys used to have.
New school HD bikers don't wrench their own bikes like the old school guys did.
New school HD bikers don't bond with their bikes like the old school guys did. HD's to the new school bikers are throw aways every few years.
New school HD bikers are generally nicer people and tend not to beat you up as much.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:59 AM
schumacher
Club Member

Originally Posted by jgcable

New school HD bikers don't bond with their bikes like the old school guys did. HD's to the new school bikers are throw aways every few years.
New school HD bikers are generally nicer people and tend not to beat you up as much.
on point 2 and 3, wrenching on your bike was a necessity, and when you put so much time and effort into something, you tend to form a stronger bond with it.

just an observation

Old 02-17-2012, 11:59 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

I cal BS on #1. People have plastic now. #2,3 are related and #4 is more of a reflection of where you are coming from.

Old 02-17-2012, 12:03 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,037 Likes on 17,927 Posts

Here I fixed that for you ,

New school HD riders have more money than the old school guys used to have.
New school HD riders don't wrench their own bikes like the old school guys did.
New school HD riders don't bond with their bikes like the old school guys did. HD's to the new school riders are throw aways every few years.
New school HD riders are generally nicer people and tend not to beat you up as much.

Quick Reply: Biggest difrence between Bikers of the 70's and these "Bikers" we got now..