General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Biggest difrence between Bikers of the 70's and these "Bikers" we got now..

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 09:00 AM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 668 Likes on 414 Posts

Biggest difference...bikers of the 70s believe they had a better era.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:04 AM
rocket23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,615 Likes on 2,870 Posts

stress factor was a tad lower I would imagine

Old 02-17-2012, 09:15 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

in my opinion, the 80's bikers were the ones who ruled. ya can keep yer stinkin 70's, 90's, and 00's

Old 02-17-2012, 09:24 AM
bjewell
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 348 Likes on 134 Posts

692 posts??? Deadfred started some ****. I haven't read this in a week so I'm behind on a bunch of it. The '70s sorta blew, not the clean wholesome carnal knowledge of the '60s, not as hip as the '80s. But there was a ton of Peruvian Marching Powder, live bands could actually play, the wimp factor was much smaller than today and there were still a lot of jobs in the USA.

You had to really want a Harley -- only old guys and clubs rode them. Used cop bikes were dirt cheap and plentiful. The wanna-be thing hadn't even begun. To most, Japanese bikes were the ****, British bikes were on their way out and Beemers, Ducatis, etc were fringe rides.

Not being in a club, I cannot say what was inside, but playing biker bars weekly I can say I met a lot of good dudes. Things were more upfront then. I NEVER saw a club member on touring bikes, ever. They were always on some type of chopper. Between sets they always took care of the band. I'd end up shooting the **** about guitars -- they seem to go together with Harleys -- and bikes. Some guys were good pickers, we'd trade licks. I never, ever asked about club stuff and that was much appreciated cause the half dozen club friends and bunch of acquaintances I had in that scene liked the band but had hard barriers to nosey folks. It was all good...

Old 02-17-2012, 09:57 AM
Gazzalodi
Road Master

Received 98 Likes on 59 Posts

I posted this a little over a year ago in the "biker culture thread" I guess it works here too:

Originally Posted by Gazzalodi
Here's how it's changed for me. When I was young in the late 60's, around 7 maybe 8 I remember there was a bike rally in Joplin Mo. We lived in NE Oklahoma and my mother made us stay indoors because bikers were "all devil worshippers who snatched kids off the streets to use as human sacrifices".

A couple of years later in the early 70's my older sister started dating these guys with Harley's. I thought they were the coolest guys on the planet. She married one, then divorced him a few years later, but I still think he's one of the coolest guys on the planet to this day.

When I was a few years older I joined the Air Force, as soon as I could afford it I bought a Harley, a sportster, but when I came home I knew I wasn't one of the cool biker guys because they all had these big twins and were in their late 20s.

A few years later I got my first big twin, but still I wasn't a biker yet because all the cool biker guys were in their 30's and were building or customizing their bikes.

A few years later (with a whole lot of help because I suck a engines, electrical and well just about the whole thing) I put together my first basket case bike. But I still wasn't a biker, because all the cool biker guys were in their 40's and riding their bikes up to Sturgis every year.

A few years later I finally have a big twin reliable enough that I can ride it to Sturgis with my sister and her new cool biker husband. But I'm still not a biker because the cool biker guys are in their 50's and have Road Kings.
I did get my Road King, so now when I go back to Oklahoma this summer I'll see what the cool biker guys are doing.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:58 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,037 Likes on 17,927 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoff
Biggest difference...bikers of the 70s believe they had a better era.
Won't say it was better but it was different in the fact if you rode you where an outsider to the accepted norm , you stood away from the rest of the herd . This group drew the restless souls and the round pegs of society that couldn't or wouldn't be pounded into the square hole you stood out and on your own , your word & rep was who you where and there where no questions about it , things where real & direct unlike today's multiple faces people try to wear . The lifestyle was ours in a very unique way unlike today , that's what most older guys lament not so much that it was better just wasn't sooo many shades of gray and people acting out fantasies . Today having a bike particularly a harley is as common as a cold everybody and their grandmother has one and is play acting something .

Honestly what I see on the streets today just comfirms what I always thought back in 70's and 80's Joe normal envied and secretly wanted to be us , too bad they killed it by over doing it and making it so common . Something to chew on .

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 02-17-2012 at 10:03 AM.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:36 AM
tiretronix
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by schumacher
in my opinion, the 80's bikers were the ones who ruled. ya can keep yer stinkin 70's, 90's, and 00's
How do you know what the 70's were like if you weren't there riding ? It seems to me that most think their decade is the best. I'm just lucky enough to have been there during all of them and enjoyed every minute of it. Oh, 60's and 70's ruled !

Old 02-17-2012, 10:39 AM
schumacher
Club Member

Originally Posted by tiretronix
How do you know what the 70's were like if you weren't there riding ? It seems to me that most think their decade is the best. I'm just lucky enough to have been there during all of them and enjoyed every minute of it. Oh, 60's and 70's ruled !
I was old enough to watch my dad, uncle, and their biker buds in the 70's

Old 02-17-2012, 10:41 AM
leadman
Road Master
Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Won't say it was better but it was different in the fact if you rode you where an outsider to the accepted norm , you stood away from the rest of the herd . This group drew the restless souls and the round pegs of society that couldn't or wouldn't be pounded into the square hole you stood out and on your own , your word & rep was who you where and there where no questions about it , things where real & direct unlike today's multiple faces people try to wear . The lifestyle was ours in a very unique way unlike today , that's what most older guys lament not so much that it was better just wasn't sooo many shades of gray and people acting out fantasies . Today having a bike particularly a harley is as common as a cold everybody and their grandmother has one and is play acting something .

Honestly what I see on the streets today just comfirms what I always thought back in 70's and 80's Joe normal envied and secretly wanted to be us , too bad they killed it by over doing it and making it so common . Something to chew on .
+1.Nowhere near the posers then as now.You didn't see club colors every time
you walked out the door then as you do now.There are so many clubs now I don't
see how people keep them straight.The 60's & the 70's seemed to be a lot more
straight forward time.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:42 AM
schumacher
Club Member

Quick Reply: Biggest difrence between Bikers of the 70's and these "Bikers" we got now..