General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Biggest difrence between Bikers of the 70's and these "Bikers" we got now..

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 08:02 PM
Rhinno
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Better? I see way too many stock bikes. We were individuals. We had enough ***** to try something different. 62 pan bottom,76 shovel top. That was when ingenuity was king. 64 & counting.

Old 01-30-2012, 08:02 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cobby
WTF! I need a better dealer. my blues are $20.
Damn. I could retire on those prices. Pm me boys. I can take care of ya for far less,and I take paypal but the envelopes won't have a return address

Old 01-30-2012, 08:09 PM
krwould
Club Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 1,028 Posts

I don't seem to remember so many used bikes with low mileage on em as there are today.... word of mouth was the best way to pick up info, race tracks, hill climbs and other local events were the way to get to meet people and there were always the bars....

Last edited by krwould; 01-30-2012 at 08:14 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:13 PM
petewerner
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jail was a problem for some of us. Finally got too old and maybe even alittle smarter and stopped using all those funny pills... Now I ride because I am a biker and not just an addict that rides... Don't know if anyone else can relate. I rode alot of bikes, not all of them with matching # and built some pretty funny looking choppers with alot of parts from more than a few different makes and models of scooters/imports. Any yah..the cops were alot easier to get along with in most places. Not all. We had friends killed in the early 70' by Springfield, Or. City Police shot next to their bikes, 5 guys in a 2 or 3 year stretch. But I never have to worry about this stuff anymore, follow the laws pretty well and there are alot more regular people riding these days as well... Product of that SOA stuff??

Old 01-30-2012, 08:16 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,349 Likes on 1,520 Posts
Default More from DeadFred Diary...

June 1...after hours of practice and pain, I think I'm ready to head down to the local biker bar where a lot of bikers, hippies and ****** hang out.

June 2... Met a hell of a man last night. Dude called Mountain Man. Had a great looking bike...that is till I slid into it. Doctor said my nose will heal but will be a little crooked. But that didn't hurt a much as getting all those teeth set and having my jaw wired together.

June 6...Beginning to wonder about this biker $hit. For some reason the pigs keep hassling me. I'm a law abiding citizen. That's what I told them...just before I got a billyclub in the crotch.

June 10... Tried to pick up some ****** tonight. Was going great till I pulled wheelie and she slid on the back of the tire and burned her **** off. But one thing is for sure...these fingernail scars across my face make me look even tougher than before.

June 25...It's working! Been hanging out at the biker bar and really getting into it. For some reason they are really interested in me. Ask all kinds of questions...like where I live, what time I go to bed, etc. Just trying to be friendly I guess. Anyway, I made it. I'm finally a badass biker.

June 26...Someone stole my bike last night.

And so my friends, here ends the story of DeadFred, the Bad *** Biker

Old 01-30-2012, 08:18 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cobby
WTF! I need a better dealer. my blues are $20.
Originally Posted by krwould
I don't seem to remember so many used bikes with low mileage on em as there are today....
No kidding. Part time riders. I bought my street bob with 5000kms/3000 miles. Its an 08,it now has 20000kms and I bought it last July. All of my bikes get ridden at least 15-20 kms/yr. I have a mustang for summer but it doesn't get driven unless I gotta take the kids somewhere. If me and the old lady are going somewhere without the kids we take our bikes.
If it wasn't for winter I would need new engines every 3 years. Which would give me an excuse to go bigger. Hehehe

Old 01-30-2012, 08:18 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Originally Posted by panz4ever
June 1...after hours of practice and pain, I think I'm ready to head down to the local biker bar where a lot of bikers, hippies and ****** hang out.

June 2... Met a hell of a man last night. Dude called Mountain Man. Had a great looking bike...that is till I slid into it. Doctor said my nose will heal butwill be a little crooked. But that didn't hurt a much as getting all those teeth set and having my jaw wired together.

June 6...Beginning to wonder about this biker $hit. For some reason the pigs keep hassling me. I'm a law abiding citizen. That's what I told them...just before I got a billyclub in the crotch.

June 10... Tried to pick up some ****** tonight. Was going great till I pulled wheelie and she slid on the back of the tire and burned her **** off. But one thing is for sure...these fingernail scars across my face make me look even tougher than before.

June 25...It's working! Been hanging out at the biker bar and really getting into it. For some reason they are really interested in me. Ask all kinds of questions...like where I live, what time I go to bed, etc. Just trying to be friendly I guess. Anyway, I made it. I'm finally a badass biker.

June 26...Someone stole my bike last night.

And so my friends, here ends the story of DeadFred, the Bad *** Biker
Aww man and I was looking to the next entry!

Old 01-30-2012, 08:20 PM
krwould
Club Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by petewerner
Jail was a problem for some of us. Finally got too old and maybe even alittle smarter and stopped using all those funny pills... Now I ride because I am a biker and not just an addict that rides... Don't know if anyone else can relate. I rode alot of bikes, not all of them with matching # and built some pretty funny looking choppers with alot of parts from more than a few different makes and models of scooters/imports. Any yah..the cops were alot easier to get along with in most places. Not all. We had friends killed in the early 70' by Springfield, Or. City Police shot next to their bikes, 5 guys in a 2 or 3 year stretch. But I never have to worry about this stuff anymore, follow the laws pretty well and there are alot more regular people riding these days as well... Product of that SOA stuff??

Well we had our problems with the cops around here back then, but at least they didn't shoot us.. things have sure changed in that repect to some extent...

Old 01-30-2012, 08:21 PM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,612 Likes on 849 Posts

I've only been riding on the street for 30 years but my older brother was riding in the 70's. The big difference I see is that the average Harley rider is WAY more uptight these days. I see the bitching and moaning that goes on here about trivial bullshit all the time. "does this look gay? should I wear this? what color should I paint my bike? some guy stopped RIGHT NEXT TO ME at a light and started talking to me!, if I give my buddy a lift on the back of my bike does that make me gay? etc etc.

Speaking of that, back around 1980 my older brother was trying to get me into riding on the street. I rode on the back of his chopper and we went a biker bar. Mostly 1%ers there including the Black & White. (this was in Chicago) No one batted an eye or said jack about the fact that we were two up.

Crazy

Old 01-30-2012, 08:21 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Originally Posted by krwould
Well we had our problems with the cops around here back then, but at least they didn't shoot us.. things have sure changed in that repect to some extent...
Back in the day cops had the best weed too! If you got pulled over for wet n wreckless they'd just follow you home safe.

Quick Reply: Biggest difrence between Bikers of the 70's and these "Bikers" we got now..