General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Biggest difrence between Bikers of the 70's and these "Bikers" we got now..

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 09:02 AM
Nocturnalnature
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man, you're gonna have this poor dude spending the morning going through the junkyard looking for mirrors so he can try to keep it going.

Originally Posted by Tucson_Tim
Pink bat fits you perfectly. Not that you'd ever use it. And please take a pic of your mirror collection -- I think you said you had 10 mirrors since last summer. I like the part where you kick the mirror off, stop, turn around, and go back and get the mirror for your collection. Ha. Ha. That's pretty funny. Most people lie to make themselves look better -- you lie to make yourself look stupid.

Why don't you tell the members here how many 1%ers you know (another lie you told). And how about the four different stories on how you got your 08 H-D? Each story with different amounts of money. One where you walked into the dealer. One where you bought from a friend. Your problem is that you tell so many lies you can't keep track of them. Everett Morash -- man among men in Saskatoon.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:58 AM
bjewell
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 348 Likes on 134 Posts

So what happened to deadfred??? Did he change his name and rejoin or something?

Old 02-02-2012, 10:08 AM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tazaroo
Screw the Zener for sure. Lucas is actually still in business also. Hey, why do all the British like warm beer?..................Because Lucas makes refrigerators. Kind of stupid but true. The only thing Lucas on my Triumph are the head and tail light and the stator. All the other wiring is jap. Back to the topic. I was a youngin in the 70's and started riding minibikes in 79 when I was 10. Over the years I have observed that some people think they can buy an image and all of a sudden they are a biker. The "weekend warrior" type you could say. Being a biker comes from within and the older I have gotten I have tried to not be so judgemental on bikers that I would deem uncool or gay. Here is a pic of my Zener-less 73 Bonnie 750.
I had the same exact bike. Bought it brand new in Wichita,KS. I've had 7 street bikes since then and still consider the 73 Bonneville the best street bike I've ever owned.
The reason I'm still around today is the fact that my 73 Triumph handled so well.
They have one on display at J&P Cycles in the Ormond Beach, FL area.
Tom

Old 02-02-2012, 10:52 AM
VA Biker
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was born in 70 so I was a little guy then. My dad rode Triumphs. I used to ride with him in front because I was so small. He never took me on the road just around the fields and the long driveway. He still had a 76 Bonnie in the 90s I used to ride. I remember if it started on the first kick you where good but if not you had to walk away for an hour before you could try again LOL.

He had some brown leather harness boots in the 70s. I had always wanted some and this past Christmas he got me a pair. Its awesome because I never see anyone else with them. I never was one for being in current "style".

Old 02-02-2012, 11:42 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Loner88
Hey man, I partied in San Jose, Ca in the early 80's with the dude that invented those. He had frickin' cases of the things sitting around. Made a "doobie" run pretty bad, as I recall. Thanks for reminding me, those were some pretty good times.
that's pretty cool
but yeh, made them burn all funny

Old 02-02-2012, 12:10 PM
SgtSkiddz
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Shredding rubber
Well Fred. You have already managed to chirp off to one of the most knowledgeable members in our forum. He helps all of us when we are clueless and manages to be an all round good guy.
Your not going to enjoy your stay here with us,of that I am pretty sure. But there are a few more Harley forums out there for you to pose your retarded questions to,I wonder how they will respond.
When you ask a stupid question you can expect answers that may not be to your liking.
Don't be too sure. I know Twizted and I have both crossed swords and battled side by side in a few threads. When I first noobed my way into HDF I'm sure I probably said some pretty stupid **** to him myself. (although not quite a stupid as what he said to him). Difference is once I got set straight on the facts I, unlike good ole Fred, took my lumps hung around and drove on. TB and I have agreed on several occasions that we're too damn old to worry about petty **** such as what someone else has to say about us (although I'm pretty sure I'm younger than he is ) We could disagree on something talk a little **** to each other in one post, then two posts later we're discussing having a beer together should we ever meet. That to me is what lets me know that he is the real deal. Cause the posers are the ones who hang on to **** and turn every thread into a grudge match.

So to Fred (tho I doubt he reads any of these any more) come on back take your lumps, and learn from your self inflicted experience. Just calm down and try not to be such a douche in the future.

Old 02-02-2012, 12:55 PM
Rat1
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Honestly, how many people here actually road motorcycles in the 70s. I am in my mid 40s and back in the 70s I was pedalling my *** around on a Banana seat bike with ape hanger type bars. In the late 70s I got my first bike which was a 74 or 4 Yamaha 100 enduro. Good times back then, Broke a few bones and ate some gravel, dirt and grass. Did not get my first street bike to the late 80s which was an 81 Honda 650 custom with a windjammer on it. Road the life out of it. I upgraded to an 82 Honda 650 custom and took the jammer off the 81 and put it on the 82. Also repainted it and had the seat redone. Lots of good times on that one also.

Old 02-02-2012, 12:56 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Rat1
Honestly, how many people here actually road motorcycles in the 70s. I am in my mid 40s and back in the 70s I was pedalling my *** around on a Banana seat bike with ape hanger type bars. In the late 70s I got my first bike which was a 74 or 4 Yamaha 100 enduro. Good times back then, Broke a few bones and ate some gravel, dirt and grass. Did not get my first street bike to the late 80s which was an 81 Honda 650 custom with a windjammer on it. Road the life out of it. I upgraded to an 82 Honda 650 custom and took the jammer off the 81 and put it on the 82. Also repainted it and had the seat redone. Lots of good times on that one also.
I started riding on the street in 79 at a very illegal age

Old 02-02-2012, 01:07 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 12,256 Likes on 4,783 Posts

Got a lot of greybeards on here. Below is me with my Ole Man on my 1st street legal (not 1st bike, just 1st street legal) in 1966 (on right). Other is me on my 1st Harley in 1969.

Attached Thumbnails Biggest difrence between Bikers of the 70's and these "Bikers" we got now..-bike.jpg   Biggest difrence between Bikers of the 70's and these "Bikers" we got now..-myself-and-dad-in-66-on-66-ducati.jpg  
Old 02-02-2012, 01:46 PM
RedNose44
Extreme HDF Member

Received 7,084 Likes on 2,601 Posts

Started riding dirt bikes in 73 at 6 years old. My first new bike was a 76 YZ80 and my first street bike was an RD350 that I got in 82. We used to ride around the back roads on our dirt bikes and run from the cops though if that counts.

Quick Reply: Biggest difrence between Bikers of the 70's and these "Bikers" we got now..