General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Biggest difrence between Bikers of the 70's and these "Bikers" we got now..

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 12:05 AM
jo_mama
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

nice pics duecedog!

Old 01-31-2012, 12:06 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,034 Likes on 17,924 Posts

[QUOTE=duecedog;9329127]Then: You better know how to work on your own bike, or you'll spend a lot of time sitting on the side of the road waiting for a buddy with a truck.

Man the dual rectangle headlights bring back memories , had a rat pan chop back then that was 9 foot long and rigged a mount for 3 of those lights just be different . Where we really that young once ?

Old 01-31-2012, 12:07 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Originally Posted by bigfish_Oh
love those pics

soft 02, I heard my Dad say our whole life,"we ain't broke, just badly bent" !

I sure am comfortable today on my first Harley, stressing thinking back to being young and ... in '79 on the fastest standard production land vehicle made then(CBX)
Well then we got something in common then. Old family saying for me too.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:13 AM
AK_Rider50
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The biggest difference is that in the 70s we wore green jungle boots, today the boots are roughout leather in sand color. We had to jump on a kick start and the bikes now all have electric starts and fire up pretty much on the first try.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:22 AM
Mr Haus
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The biggest difference is...

There weren't nearly as many pole smokers like you around. Just say'n

Old 01-31-2012, 12:34 AM
jo_mama
Elite HDF Member

what i do remember about bikers back in the 70's was you had to have a set of ***** just to walk into a harley dealer. the places were not the cleanest and all i remember my old man telling me while i was at one was "shut up!" LOL i knew at a very young age i wanted to be like them. i grew up in southern california and moved out east around 72. east coast bikers were different in certain ways. i started riding when i was 22 in 1984. 85 piglet 1000. bought it brand spankin new. when i moved to texas around 89 i bought my second bike. 89 softail. the bikers in texas were my kind of people. very laid back and treated you how they wanted to be treated. step out of line or act like an ******* and they treated you like one. when i moved back east i built a few hot rods and had no bike. i missed having one so i bought my third bike 2012 fatbob. the bikers i see today are still the same great guys i remembered from back in the old days. same generous, fun loving, honest, tough and good people but 10 times as many of them. they may not all know how to tear apart their bikes and put them back together, but still the same "type" of people. with families having both parents working 40 plus hours a week just to keep their heads above water there isn't much time for fun. some guys just like to turn the key and go. me, i like knowing how everything on my bike works and how i can make it better. i'm still figuring out a lot on my new one...lol. remember back in the old days we didn't work as hard or as long of hours as we do now. i have a rule in life whether i'm on my bike or in church...i show respect where it is earned or given to me and most bikers i meet return the respect and i learn from them.

Last edited by jo_mama; 01-31-2012 at 12:39 AM.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:05 AM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member
Received 121 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by panz4ever
70s pic...chopped, stripped down naked, pan, kick only w/ minimum number of wires, not much better than that (but heck I am 65 now so that dates me a bit)

Dude, I thought I was looking at the Fonz for a second, there. WAY cool!

This thread has been an interesting read.

It's always cool to read the comments of the reminiscing old schoolers. Having been born in '68, the closest I come to that was tearing apart my old '66 Stang in my parent's garage as a teenager back in the 80's. "Hippie bikers" (and hippies in general) were something my parents always told me to stay away from, and I grew up with friends who referred to H-D as "Hardly Ableson". Still, I always preferred that upright cruiser look for some reason and eschewed the crotch rockets. Bought my first bike - an '80 shaft driven CX500 in '87 or '88. Saw Terminator 2 when I was around 22 or 23 and had always wanted an FB since. That dream finally came true when I got mine in '08. Like workin' on my bike and doin' stuff to it just as much as I liked workin on that old Mustang. Don't claim to be anything close to the old school bikers, but I definitely respect the hell out of 'em and would love to sit down with a few of 'em to pick their brains and hear more stories...

Old 01-31-2012, 02:48 AM
Joboo1966
Road Master

Stupidity and shortcuts to thinking......you asked the differences between bikers then and now......the answers speak for themselves.

IMO the biggest difference is the lack of true bikers based on the criteria of then verses now. Everone owns a bike now.....but the reasons r the difference.

Old 01-31-2012, 02:52 AM
Joboo1966
Road Master

Originally Posted by Mr Haus
The biggest difference is...

There weren't nearly as many pole smokers like you around. Just say'n

Dude youre an ******* just for saying that to this guy.....WTF is wrong with you?

You the reason bikers got bad raps....IMO you suck. Just simply uncalled for!

And Im just saying!

Old 01-31-2012, 06:54 AM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior
Received 102 Likes on 38 Posts

Just buy a Harley and throw cash at the leather department and POOF Instant biker you don't even need a clue these days...Within 6 months you will be a pro and you can tell all of the old school guys how it works.

Quick Reply: Biggest difrence between Bikers of the 70's and these "Bikers" we got now..