General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Biggest difrence between Bikers of the 70's and these "Bikers" we got now..

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 09:31 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,036 Likes on 774 Posts

One thing I do remember from the 60's and 70's was that we never had conversations like this. Then again, we actually lived in a world without computers. Not saying it was better, just different priorities.
And screw that guy who invented the Zener diode, along with the guy who invented the electrical system that needed to have one. Lucas had to be an alias, nobody would put their real name on it.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:33 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Originally Posted by 55chevy
What is awesome is Twizted's response to asshat. (non response, like you ignore a mosquito)
If you remember the 70s you weren't there. Watch Easy Rider. Well, maybe not, how about Lil Fauss and Big Halsey? Or Fritz the Cat.
If you had a Harley you were the shyt. My 2 older brothers and a buddy rode Honda 305/350s to California. That was so cool. Later I met a buddy who's older brother and a bud rode Honda 90s to Cali from Indiana. Holy crap. One older brother got a Kaw 500 triple, fast azz bike, I was envious/impressed, a black and gold Norton was my all time favorite bike. I think that was after I talked bother's roommate into letting me ride his Honda 305 at age 14.
I remember almost falling off my 350 RD Yamaha after speed shifting. Later, I got a 650 Yamaha and painted it gold and black, with Yamaha in Norton style. Oh, the good ole days. I met a 'real biker' in college, he offered to car pool to classes because we were on the way to school 25 miles away, invited me over to party even though I rode a ricer. Anyone know a guy named Casper that lived in NE Indiana once?
Hmm had a Casper here in the 90's. had Casper the ghost tat on his for arm and a chick on his sholder so when he opened his arm the pit was the bush? Worth a shot.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:36 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Originally Posted by nevil
One thing I do remember from the 60's and 70's was that we never had conversations like this. Then again, we actually lived in a world without computers. Not saying it was better, just different priorities.
And screw that guy who invented the Zener diode, along with the guy who invented the electrical system that needed to have one. Lucas had to be an alias, nobody would put their real name on it.
Ever hear the story about the mechanic and the engineer. One day the engineer caught the mechanic screwing his wife and ever sinse the engineer has been screwing the mechanic! True story.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:40 PM
JB
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by soft 02
wiring problems! Try owning a Triumph before the internet!
It always amazed the Hell out of me as to how the hell the English ever made it through World War II if the electrics in their plans, boat and tanks was as hinky as the bikes. They had to be some Hardcore SOB's could imagine before going off the fight the Germans doing and the pre flight on you're Spit Fire and the two most important things on the check list were a roll of electrical tape and some jumper wires. As we used to say ( And the Lord said let their be Darkness and Lucas electrics came in to being)

Last edited by JB; 01-30-2012 at 09:44 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:41 PM
Flinter
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts

In the 70's I rode a Honda mini 50!

Broke both arms and sprained an ankle before I retired it.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:54 PM
FireRider61
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you actually have an answer or a thought re this thread than guess what...WE ARE OLD...but no matter your opinion its better than the alternative...Im glad im here

Old 01-30-2012, 10:23 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,032 Likes on 17,923 Posts

Originally Posted by 55chevy
What is awesome is Twizted's response to asshat. (non response, like you ignore a mosquito)
If you remember the 70s you weren't there. Watch Easy Rider. Well, maybe not, how about Lil Fauss and Big Halsey? Or Fritz the Cat.
Nothing I could add to the trimming you guys handed him , gave me a warm fuzzy reading all that . Next question is will he be back or not after that bit of red *** .

The 70's where a fun time in a lot of ways , we where young and bullet proof the law was either hot of cold and that depended on which side of the mason dixon line you where riding through and whether the town had a central square or not , booze & good drugs where cheap and plentiful . No question about stupid crap like posers or yuppie , if you rode you where a man and dealt with it be it a broken bike at 3 in the morning holding a lighter so you set the points or you and the smart *** who just grabbed a big handfull of your old lady's *** went outside and dealt with it . No lawyers , no cops , no hard feelings and you bought him a cold beer to hold on that eye so it wouldn't swell so bad .

I miss the simpler times .

Old 01-30-2012, 10:24 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JB
It always amazed the Hell out of me as to how the hell the English ever made it through World War II if the electrics in their plans, boat and tanks was as hinky as the bikes. They had to be some Hardcore SOB's could imagine before going off the fight the Germans doing and the pre flight on you're Spit Fire and the two most important things on the check list were a roll of electrical tape and some jumper wires. As we used to say ( And the Lord said let their be Darkness and Lucas electrics came in to being)
My understanding was, they cheaped out on the electrics trying to keep the cost down to compete with HD at the time.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:25 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,349 Likes on 1,520 Posts

70s pic...chopped, stripped down naked, pan, kick only w/ minimum number of wires, not much better than that (but heck I am 65 now so that dates me a bit)

Last edited by panz4ever; 01-30-2012 at 10:27 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:29 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks panz4ever, that make me feel younger.
Of course riding with my buddy who's 73 also has that effect.

Quick Reply: Biggest difrence between Bikers of the 70's and these "Bikers" we got now..