General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let's Talk After Market Drive Belts

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 11:00 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,066 Likes on 17,935 Posts

Originally Posted by sgod1100
I have been looking for a stronger drive belt for quite sometime...I'm going to be put out some big power this year (170-180 hp) and i wanted the strongest drive belt possible. I actually spoke with an engineer from Gates and he said the 08s and up use carbon fiber tensile cords and that is the strongest belts currently available so, I'm going to be taking my chances with that belt.

The only other option for me was to change to a chain, but I don't like the fact that oil would be spraying up all over my rim
Them kinda ponies go a chain man , On of the high dollar O-ring jobs will hold up and they are sealed lube so the oil flinging is real minimal .

You got that kinda stick your going to use it same as I do so **** breaks we both know it and belts don't do shock loads well they are designed for continuous steady loaded

Old 01-29-2012, 12:42 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 20,314 Likes on 5,873 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Them kinda ponies go a chain man , On of the high dollar O-ring jobs will hold up and they are sealed lube so the oil flinging is real minimal .

+1 on the chain...if your going to crank up the pressure on the pro-charger and make 180HP, a chain is the only way to go. A modern o-ring chain makes little mess...the lube is on the inside.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:14 AM
sgod1100
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker

You got that kinda stick your going to use it same as I do so **** breaks we both know it and belts don't do shock loads well they are designed for continuous steady loaded
Yeah, I know a chain would be the best route. I spoke with procharger about an aftermarket belt and they told me there is a guy in South America or Brazil(Can't remember which one...lol) He has a rocker like mine with 205 hp at the wheel and he takes his bike to the track and he hasn't had any problems with the stock belt braking. If he isn't having problems then I should be ok as I'm not taking my bike to the track.(key word being "should"...lol). Worst case scenerio is that I will have to change out the belt. I would be doing all of the dis-assembly and re-assembly so the cost would be that of the belt/chain.

We will see what happens

Old 02-05-2012, 10:18 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,572 Likes on 2,890 Posts

Got over 50k on my 20mm falcon belt. Agree with a chain for high hp though.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:48 AM
sgod1100
Road Captain

Well, if you guys see a thread labeled "broke stock belt with procharger" then you know what happened...lol

Old 10-11-2012, 03:45 PM
Sikdvlz
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2010 Sportster Custom with 8200 miles and snapped my belt yesterday morning. It's a daily ride and well taken care of. I already ordered a new Falcon belt but hopping you guys could shine some light or point me in the right direction on what could cause a break that early. Doing the install myself and have already done the tear down to install new belt, inspected both pulleys for wear or signs that a rock may have jammed in there. No apparent signs of anything. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by Sikdvlz; 10-11-2012 at 03:48 PM.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:50 PM
grantzi11a61
Stage I

I'm new here but not to riding. This looks like a mighty fine blog.
I have a 98 XL1200S with a few minor upgrades. I have just snapped my third belt. All three of the first belts have been the HD/Gates belts. This time I ordered a Dayco/Carlisle Panther Ultra-Cord. Don't know much about it except the band is supposed to be pretty good. Anybody hear anything?

Old 07-23-2013, 03:12 PM
rideflhr
Road Captain
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

The best thing about a chain is they are EASY to replace when worn. Like others have stated the O-ring chains dont sling much. I've had a few 70's Harleys with chains. I would turn the oilers off but they still slung a lot.

Old 07-25-2013, 06:09 AM
sgod1100
Road Captain

Just to give you guys an update on this...i still have the same stock belt that i had last time i commented on this thread...granted i don't do hole shots, but i have had absolutely NO problems with the belt and i'm still running 191 hp. I think what really puts un-needed stress on the belts is going WOT from a dig or doing burnouts..which i never do..I'm always flooring it when i'm going at least 10-15 mph

Old 07-25-2013, 08:10 AM
wisemx
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The "slap" is typically what kills a good belt @ higher HP output.
On the strip we've been adding very simple mid tensioners, and a well adjusted belt that has a tensioner can take a beating and be safer than an oil-ring chain.
Some of you have seen what a chain can do if it breaks...

Quick Reply: Let's Talk After Market Drive Belts