General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody live in Spring Hill, Florida?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 05:15 PM
moondog99
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Anybody live in Spring Hill, Florida?

My wife got a job offer in Spring Hill Florida and I know nothing about the area. How is the cost of living, property taxes, housing market and the area in general. Any information will be greatly appreciated. It is my understanding the area was hit hard by the economic situation but is it recovering any? Thanks!!!!

Old 01-28-2012, 05:48 PM
wilburz
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

good deals on houses should be no problem. The prices have gone done a ton.

Old 01-28-2012, 05:55 PM
Tarponrod
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live down the road a ways, I like Spring Hill. Its a good mix of county with all the City stuff ya need. Pretty good riding too

Old 01-28-2012, 10:06 PM
dedjr67
Road Master

I live on the other coast but here is some info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spring_Hill,_Florida

Old 01-29-2012, 05:31 AM
Lambo
Tourer

We lived up the road in Inverness for a while and would frequent that way, knew a guy who had retired there as well. The place always looked clean to me, busy roads and a lot to do. Just a hop skip and jump tp Tampa and I-4. You won't want for anything there, plenty of bussiness's.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:26 AM
Trucky911
Road Warrior
Veteran: Army
Received 70 Likes on 54 Posts

My father in law lives there. He was a snow bird from 1988 to 2004. He moved there permanently 8 years ago and loves it....

Trucky911

Old 01-29-2012, 08:58 AM
moondog99
Road Warrior

It is still in the works at this point but I heard that the property taxes were outrageous running from $2500 to over $3000 a year for a regular house say 2000-2500 square ft. I also heard that Spring Hill was struggling with high unemployment and high insurance rates on both car and home. Anyone have any idea if this is true?

Old 01-29-2012, 09:03 AM
BgDadddy
Road Captain
Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

I live 10 miles away from Spring Hill.

Property values have dropped @ 40% in the past couple of years. Its a good time to buy, as long as you won't need to sell for a while.

Senior citizen capital of the world in the winter time. Half of them go elsewhere in the summer. Trying to eat out is a nightmare in the winter when they are around. Downright scary on a motorcycle since half of them can't see, but still drive.

Homeowner's insurance is downright miserable, due to sinkholes and the hurricanes that happened 7 years ago. To the tune of $3-4K per year for a $200k house. Taxes aren't much better.

As soon as I can get a job elsewhere, I am out of this miserable state.

Sorry to be a buzzkill.

On a positive note, you can ride year-round!

Old 01-30-2012, 12:13 AM
moondog99
Road Warrior

Thanks for the info. After doing some research they are crazy on their taxes and insurance. You can buy a hell of a house there for a great price but the bills that come with buying a house there does not make it a bargain by no means. Thanks for the honest answers now I can only hope the deal falls through and we can just move to Tennessee as we had planed.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:31 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,651 Likes on 2,536 Posts

I live about a half hour south, but I have friends in SH & spend time there. SpringHill is kinda nice,clean,not much traffic;suburban-bordering-on-rural looking. I like it better than where I am 'cause the houses are farther apart than here,(I can't stand neighbors) but it's about 10 degrees colder in the winter, because you don't have the warming influence of Tampa Bay nearby,and there is nothing there, except chain restaurants & strip malls. Usta have a GF that lived there; I would leave her house in the winter on my bike,and when I got home a half hour later,you could feel the temperature warm up considerably. Nearest HD dealer is 1/2hour south or 45 minutes north. Don't know much about crime in SH, but none of my friends have had any problems. Lots of great riding there. Many people in Florida seem to have very little integrity & can be among the rudest,angriest & nastiest I've ever met,but as in any place, you gotta weed through the crap to find some decent ones. They ARE here, you just gotta look. Florida natives seem to be OK for the most part.

The economy here is worse than miserable. I work for an out-of-state company & will never work for a Florida-based company;I'd move out first. Florida is an "at will" or "right to work" state,(Google it) & it's extremely hard to get & keep a job;There are people here making payments on 20 year old cars. School test scores are 2nd lowest in the country. Property taxes are very low (don't believe all you hear) but homeowners rates are through the roof. I have a 2/2/2, in a nice neighborhood;I paid 96K 9 years ago worth about 75K. My homeowner's insurance is about $1,100/year excluding sinkhole & flood & my property tax, which I just paid 3 weeks ago, was $652.00. With a good driving record,auto & bike insurance is really cheap, but food is as expensive as anywhere else. Utilities are very high because of the constant A/C use 10 months outta the year. Florida is a very motorcycle friendly state--no insurance,inspection, or helmets, and unless you're being a total *******, you can run pretty much any equipment & accessories & the cops leave you alone. In a nutshell--If I had it to do all over again, I would go to Texas. Same weather,much better economy. Be prepared to make alot less for the same job.

My opinion? If you don't mind the cold or gray winters without sunshine, you will be WAY happier in Tennessee.

Me? I gotta have sun & warmth all year, or I get crabby!

Last edited by dickey; 01-30-2012 at 12:46 AM.

Quick Reply: Anybody live in Spring Hill, Florida?