General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Original Muscle Bike?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 12:27 AM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Original Muscle Bike?

82 & up GS 1100

Old 12-14-2006, 12:36 AM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 323 Likes on 199 Posts

Crocker, Vincent, and Brough Superior all came before the first K model. I have had the fortune of seeing all three at one time or another. There was a guy down in Port Orchard, OR that had an amazing collection of bikes. Stan Deshong was his name. I met him through a friend of my family and took a ride down there a couple of years ago. He had a Brough Superior and a Crocker. Both were beautiful and ran. His entire collection was road worthy. He sold the entire collection recently to help his sister who became ill. Ol' Stan isn't exactly a picture of health either. I got to see a Vincent a couple of times at the Oregon Vintage Motorcycle Assoc show in Corvallis. All three are works of art.

Old 12-14-2006, 12:57 AM
High Gear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't say I've ever even seen a Vincent , but my dad has .

My dad did several runs from Cal. to Ill . back in the early / mid fiftys .

One of his favorite biker stories is about the time he teamed up with a Vincent rider on one of his trips .

Yep heard about those Vincents from a very early age .

Old 12-14-2006, 01:04 AM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe someone was putting some new Vincents out a few years ago (for major $$$). And of course you can get a 'new' Crocker if you have cash to waste. They were impressive in their day, as was the SuperX (and Indian for that matter). I'd take any one for the collection.

Old 12-14-2006, 02:10 AM
SteelCityScooter
Road Master

Anyone who has ever been in love with the Vincent motorcycle, whether through the intimacy of ownership or just plain lusting after one from afar, has a good Vincent story to tell. It never fails. One of the best of these tales comes from the late 1940s, when The Beast was just beginning to make its reputation in the US. The story was told to my father by a cocky kid who owned a Rapide and who loved to put on a convincing British accent.
'I wanted to show this chap with a brand-new 61 cubic inch 'arley who 'ad the faster machine,' the kid began. 'So I set up a little meeting between the two of us out on the by-pass. Before we set off, I gave him just one request -- to signal to me when his 'arley was all-out at top speed. 'Off we were, soon runnin' side by side at about 60 miles per. I shouted to this chap, "Are ya all out yet?" He shook his 'ead, and crouched closer to the 'arley's tank. At seventy-five, I shouted the same question, but the 'arley man still shook his 'ead. Finally, as both our bikes nudged the ton, I noticed my counterpart's silencer trailing a blue plume of smoke. He was glued to the tank now, and looked to be holdin' on for dear life. I screamed, "ARE YA ALL OUT YET?" This time he nodded affirmatively.

'Then I just shifted the Rapide into fourth,' said the kid.
From Here

Old 12-14-2006, 02:17 AM
SteelCityScooter
Road Master

ORIGINAL: SquishFace
I'm fairly sure that the Vincent was a sportbike long before motorcycles branched-out into their radically different sub-groups.
Nope Built as a Grand Tourer
SPORTING EVENTS

Although Phil Vincent built his machines in the mould of a grand tourer, they have always been campaigned in sporting events with considerable success. From H.R. Davies winning TTs on his HRD, to Ginger Woods on a Series "A" and George Brown on his Neros, the Vincent can always be made to GO. They have campaigned in road races, the TT, ISDT, speedway, but are best known for their sporting successes with records in the Vincent name still being made.

The VOC is most proud of the efforts of individual members all over the world who push the machine to greater speed and still take the chequered flag in a variety of events, on two wheels and on three. Indeed, some of the names in our list of Honorary Members are amongst the fastest men in the world!
From here

Great Pictures of a 1950 Vincent Comet

Old 12-14-2006, 02:22 AM
1200c
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually, the sportster was a muscle bike back in the day. In the 50's/60's it was actually a superbike. It used to be the creme of the crop in those days. What it is today is different than what it used to be. The problem is that it never evolved. It had a 1/4 mi. time of around 13 sec's in the 60's (meaning it was it back then) and today it still has a 1/4 mi. time of around 13 sec's (meaning it's fast for a cruiser, but slow for a sport bike). Some of those older sportsters had a top end of about 130 mph, which was damn good for the 1960's.

Old 12-14-2006, 02:26 AM
Punky Brewster
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's a muscle bike for ya.48 cyclinder 4200cc death machine

Old 12-14-2006, 09:24 AM
Mikey 1450
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

The early Sportsters were fast for thier day. Stock tune was much hotter than todays bikes. Back then Honda's biggest bike was a 450. Kawasaki was not around my area, Yamaha only made small 2 strokes. Triumph 650 bonneville and Harley 900 Sporster was the big dogs. I remember watching the Triumphs, BSA's and xr750 Harleys at the Atlanta mile ( Lakewood fairgrounds), feet on the pegs, sliding sideways at 80 mph. If you can watch the Sringfield mile please do, one hell of a show. The Vincent was the fastest (at the salt flats) and held the record for many years but they were very rare to see. Fast then and fast now are a little different.

Old 12-14-2006, 09:31 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I used to lust for a Vincent Black Shadow,because they were the first true muscle bike that I remember.Then the "Snorten Norton" broke onto the schene,with I believe was their 398 lb 750cc Commando.Correct me if I'm wrong, Ole Boys.A friend of mine had one and he ruled the countrysides.I was riding a Hot Rod PanHead chopper back then,the late 60's or there abouts,and he used to toy with me.We still had a ball.Today,is another whole story with mega inch machinery out there.

Quick Reply: Original Muscle Bike?