General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fogging Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 09:49 PM
bosnmate
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fogging Windshield

Took the bike to dinner tonight and when I came out the temp dropped a bit and the front of my windshield fogged up. Had to almost ride on the Pillion to see over it. After a while the windshield would clear up until I stopped and then it fogged right back up again.

My question is there a product out there I can use to stop this fogging?

Old 12-13-2006, 10:14 PM
NY Jamo
6th Gear
Default RE: Fogging Windshield

Shorter window would be my choice. I always like to look over the screen when I'm riding....night or day, rain or shine. I have the lightly smoked shorty for my FLHRCI that I prefer for long rides (over my OEM window). I'm not a window fan, but I do love 'em on long, cold, and/or rainy rides...

Old 12-13-2006, 10:28 PM
Ben U

I've already replaced my windshield with a shorter one so that I can look just over the top of it. JMHO but in all my years of riding, I've never looked through it, always over it. I beleive most books will suggest the same that are written by anyone with riding experience. All that said, to each their own and what works best for them. I know they make products for your need but couldn't tell you what they are.

Ride safe!

Old 12-13-2006, 10:39 PM
Big Cholla
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

jlefty: Lemon Pledge the furniture cleaner works like a champ. Use it on both sides with an old soft T-shirt or similar cloth. I also use it on my full-face shield for my helmet. It also makes rain drops clear the windshield quicker than any other applicade. ......... BC

Old 12-13-2006, 10:55 PM
redscout
Road Captain

I bought a shorter shield since the stocker cut me right across my line of sight. I don't guess I ever noticed if it fogged up or not. I've seen it get pretty wet in fog (well, and rain), but not so's I'd do anything about it....

Not sure it's a great idea to ride looking through it anyway. Seems as if I'm not the only one that feels that way...

Old 12-13-2006, 11:34 PM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member

Ya need to stop ridin w/yer face plastered on it

But get the anti-fog Rain-X. Should do the trick.

Old 12-14-2006, 12:01 AM
siramazing
Cruiser

DO NOT use Rain-X on plastic, which is what your windshield is made of. It says right on the container it is for use on glass, not plastic. I use Plexus to clean and treat the windshield (lemon Pledge works also), and then Harley sells Windshield Water Repellent Treatment. It is meant for plastic, and is essentially alcohol based (comes in handy if you run out of gin). Says on the container "enhances visibility during wet weather riding). My wife has the same problem you have on her DynaGlide. The windshield is too high for her to look over, and when it rains, visibility sucks. Try these products.[sm=closed.gif]

Old 12-14-2006, 12:23 AM
Hogaholic
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: jlefty

Took the bike to dinner tonight and when I came out the temp dropped a bit and the front of my windshield fogged up. Had to almost ride on the Pillion to see over it. After a while the windshield would clear up until I stopped and then it fogged right back up again.

My question is there a product out there I can use to stop this fogging?
You should be looking over the shield 90% of the time, if its too tall, cut it down. Only when you go over a hill should you be seeing thru it.

Old 12-14-2006, 12:56 AM
capt42a
Road Master

I agree, you should be able to see over your windshield.
capt42a

Old 12-14-2006, 09:45 AM
bosnmate
Banned

I always thought the idea was to look through the windshield so it offers some level of protection. Why do I want to look over it, isn't that defeating the purpose of it?

Quick Reply: Fogging Windshield