General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Price of Harleys

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 03:12 AM
markwolula
Tourer
Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Price of Harleys

Hi there all,
Im from Australia , and this is my first post. A lot of talk here about price of harley's , compared to US. Lets take an example, a new 2012 Road King (Standard) . Here the 'total' cost , no more to pay , drive away deal (only your insurace to pay) is between $30,500 - $32,000. Lets not worry about the currency 's at the moment, how much is the same deal in US dollar's , say in the west side of US. As you can see I'm looking at buying a Road King, and I am weighing up the pros and cons of importing from the US compared to buying local. Any info that may help would be appreciated .Regards Mark

Old 01-27-2012, 03:45 AM
Fat Cat
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to Harley's website, you'll get the MSRP.....that will be close to the "out the door" price since you may not be paying taxes on the deal. I said close because dealers add "BS" charges possibly $1000 US and probably not more than $2000US. These are just estimates but may give you an idea of what to do. Just come over here and buy it on the east coast and enjoy the ride over to the west coast before leaving us.

Old 01-27-2012, 03:57 AM
markwolula
Tourer

Thanks Fat Cat, I did'nt think i would get a reply until tomorrow because of the time difference . A few of my mates have gone over the option of going over , buying , and having a rode trip , then organizing sending the bike home. Just got to do the figures.
Mark

Old 01-27-2012, 04:35 AM
BlackSpecial
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's a 2012:

Attached Thumbnails Price of Harleys-roadking.jpg  
Old 01-27-2012, 04:49 AM
rod18cdz
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

WOW....they are almost twice as expensive

Old 01-27-2012, 05:28 AM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member
Received 121 Likes on 87 Posts

Dude, don't even think about it. By the time you get done paying freight, import taxes, customizations and after going thru all the other red tape it's gonna take to make it legal to ride in Oz, you will be looking at the same or more. Trust me, it's not worth the hassle. Think about it - if it were that much cheaper to do, just about everybody who wanted a Harley would be doing it. But you know Harley ain't gonna let that happen so easily. If you want a Harley that bad, just pony up and buy an Australian model or buy a used one for a lot less. In Canada I don't believe you are even allowed by law to go down to the U.S. and buy a new Harley to drive back. I think you can drive a used one back, however.

You'd probably be better off buying a few old shovels or pans off ebay in decent condition, importing those and selling 'em for a good penny over there to finance your new one, if that's what you gotta have. I know that those go for a LOT more money on this side of the globe than in the U.S. In Japan where I live, anyway, the laws aren't as strict on importing old bikes and getting 'em street legal. Just a thought.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:06 AM
markwolula
Tourer

Just some more info. The harley web site quotes 2012 'Standard ' Road King at 17,500, say 18,000 us. In Australia, say 31,000. I've been told that if there are only minor compliance changes required (blinkers, spedo, tyres,etc ) that the total cost to import to Australia (Shipping, taxes, compliance etc) should be about max $6000. $18,000 + 6000 = $24,000. That's $7000 in front. Am I missing anything! I am working on the figure of $18,000 for a 2012 RK in the US, are there any other costs that you pay in the US that I have'nt added on to the $18,000. If there aren't any more cost , then the question has to be asked, 'why aren't more people doing it! You may have to wait 2-3 months, but some people wait that for a particular bike. As I have all ready said , "Am I missing something.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:25 AM
Carsten
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Apparently there is a new HD rule that you are not suppose to sell in another dealers area. You would have to get something in the US to purchase the bike and then export it....lot's of paperwork to consider.... If you feel bad with your 31.000 $ in Australia for the Road King you should visit us in Norway...the same bike costs here including taxes 57.900 $ ... Ride safe !!!

Old 01-27-2012, 06:27 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,106 Likes on 3,650 Posts

Savings is savings....what about warranty? will a dealer there honor the USA warranty? if not i would really look at getting a used or leftover USA model, hell the warranty is **** anyway....you can pick up a deal this time of the year....

Old 01-27-2012, 06:46 AM
JohnFlorida
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You wouldnt believe what we pay for kangaroos and aboriginies

Quick Reply: Price of Harleys