General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ingenious ways to lash a bag without bungee

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 12:05 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

Nylon straps (mine are cam lock, not ratchet) or rope.
I see too many bungie cords and tarp straps laying along side the road.

Old 01-29-2013, 01:35 PM
jimjlips
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

velcro 3/4 hook on one side loop on the other

Old 01-29-2013, 01:44 PM
rodnock
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take it from someone who has first hand experience. Do not use bungie cords to strap anything anywhere. I was packing the bike to return from a trip and was using bungies to strap my tent on the top rack of tour pack. I had hooked the cord to the front of the rack and was pulling it tight to the back and the front hook let go and the hook got me right in the eye. After a trp to emergency room and a visit to opthamologist and 2 weeks sitting upright in an easy chair (even to sleep) the blood finally drained out of the eyeball and i could see again. I now use only rope or ratchet straps. I don't even own a bungie cord and I leave the area if anyone pulls one out to use. Believe it or not rope can be tied way tighter than anything if you know how to use it.

Old 01-29-2013, 01:48 PM
kelton3
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rodnock
Take it from someone who has first hand experience. Do not use bungie cords to strap anything anywhere. I was packing the bike to return from a trip and was using bungies to strap my tent on the top rack of tour pack. I had hooked the cord to the front of the rack and was pulling it tight to the back and the front hook let go and the hook got me right in the eye. After a trp to emergency room and a visit to opthamologist and 2 weeks sitting upright in an easy chair (even to sleep) the blood finally drained out of the eyeball and i could see again. I now use only rope or ratchet straps. I don't even own a bungie cord and I leave the area if anyone pulls one out to use. Believe it or not rope can be tied way tighter than anything if you know how to use it.

You shouldn't use stairs either. One time I missed a stair and fell 2 flights down!

Old 01-29-2013, 02:13 PM
Riven02
Cruiser

Why use straps...just have the wife hang on to things from the back seat........ Isnt that why we take them?

Old 01-30-2013, 01:20 AM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vistavette
I don't know what you guys are talking about... my bag usually just holds on; otherwise she's likely to fall off.
Good one!

Old 01-30-2013, 03:16 AM
Xube
Road Warrior

++ on the rope or cord. A diamond hitch works great. Any old cowboys on here?

Old 01-30-2013, 08:09 AM
Fullcurl
Intermediate

I can tie a diamond on a packhorse, should be able to tie one on a hog, they stand better !

Old 01-30-2013, 08:40 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,075 Likes on 2,558 Posts

Cargo nets...Velcro...these seem to be a better choice to me, besides bungie cords. And I never would have thought about them, if I hadn't read it hear!

Old 01-30-2013, 08:43 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,548 Likes on 6,277 Posts

Originally Posted by rodnock
Bungee cord impacts are a very bad injury to the eyeball, prone to glaucoma later on. Make sure you get a glaucoma test every year. (I am an optometrist). Ignore the smartass comments.

I do use bungee cords. I make sure I am out of the path of a rebound.

If you loop a bungee cord enough, and use the ones that have a closed hook, they won't come off. (Hmm. Might have to reconsider that. Thanks LH 4x4)

Last edited by Ron750; 01-30-2013 at 08:54 AM. Reason: Doubts

Quick Reply: Ingenious ways to lash a bag without bungee