General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Local HD dealer employee killed in freak accident

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 11:22 PM
straitshot151
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Local HD dealer employee killed in freak accident

Tragic that someone lost their life.Cant imagine the grief the family is going thru right here at Christmas.As far as fault who knows.Who among us wouldnt have jumped on a Harley at a young age to move it inside.It would have been a major rush for me to jump on one and try to move it when I was young.

Old 12-13-2006, 11:28 PM
Punky Brewster
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Towpro

Screw the what if's & why for's......he might have a wife & kids @ home.....2 weeks before X-mas.....R.I.P.
I totally agree

Old 12-14-2006, 12:05 AM
Biggol
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Biggol

ORIGINAL: Oldpanrider

That is a sad story, but the fault is on the guy, not the dealer. If he didn't know how to ride he shouldn't have gotten on the bike or he should have pushed it. The question should be why he layed there for 4 hours and why the manager didn't check on him after a reasonable length of time. There might be a liability issue on that part.
That depends - does the manager always check on the nighttime security guy at several points during the evening?
Why'd the security guy ride the bike?
If he's security, why even move the motorcycle? You're there to watch over it all night..

I think this is tragic and probably the fault of several mistakes but I wouldn't go too quick to finger pointing at everyone around the guy.

If he had the smallest idea of how to ride the motorcycle when he had no legal recognized ability to with the state, AND riding w/o a helmet, then he was a dummy. If he had no experience at all on a motorcycle, then my previous statement should have the last word changed to something a little more harsh.
Sorry folks - I posted like a real jerk here. The truth is what Towpro said - it's a life lost. The why's and what nots don't really matter. It's a bad deal.

Old 12-14-2006, 12:47 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Sad but........his wife will sue and get a settlement from workers comp, his life insurance and wrongful death suit.

A. The manager instructed a non qualified employee to do a task that resulted in the employees death.
B. Negligence on the part of the employer manager
C. Wrongful death lawsuit.........the manager should have told him to stay with the bike until a qualified employee arrived and moved the bike.
D. Employers insurance company will pay off.
E. Your premium will go up..................................[]

Old 12-14-2006, 01:15 AM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

He could have been a very skilled rider and had a freak accident. Lots of people without endorsements out there riding.

More will come out soon, I'm sure.

Meantime, as said before... thoughts and best wishes to the family.

Old 12-14-2006, 05:19 AM
Devil Dog
Tourer

That was a sad story. My condolences to his family and friends. Today I was in my fully marked work car. I pulled up to a busy intersection to turn left when a motorcyclist (Marine on a Virago) slowed down in the opposite lane for a turning vehicle. The knucklehead behind the MC did not stop and slammed into him. I watched the entire thing. The Marine flew through the air as one with the MC. Well, at least for a little ways then they parted. The Marine landed in front of my car. His bike skidded almost past me. It was an awful sight and I expected the worst when I ran over to help. However, Marines being tough characters they are, he was talking and joking and was not seriously injured. So, I feel better in sharing that but want everyone to promise to be careful! In this case, I don't think the kid could have prevented it. He told me that he had gotten the bike a month ago and had finished the MSC last week. He will live to ride again. Thanks for listening. Semper Fidelis.

Old 12-14-2006, 06:06 AM
spring fever
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: Oldpanrider

That is a sad story, but the fault is on the guy, not the dealer. If he didn't know how to ride he shouldn't have gotten on the bike or he should have pushed it. The question should be why he layed there for 4 hours and why the manager didn't check on him after a reasonable length of time. There might be a liability issue on that part.
That depends - does the manager always check on the nighttime security guy at several points during the evening?
Why'd the security guy ride the bike?
If he's security, why even move the motorcycle? You're there to watch over it all night..

I think this is tragic and probably the fault of several mistakes but I wouldn't go too quick to finger pointing at everyone around the guy.

If he had the smallest idea of how to ride the motorcycle when he had no legal recognized ability to with the state, AND riding w/o a helmet, then he was a dummy. If he had no experience at all on a motorcycle, then my previous statement should have the last word changed to something a little more harsh.
Sorry folks - I posted like a real jerk here. The truth is what Towpro said - it's a life lost. The why's and what nots don't really matter. It's a bad deal.
That second post took some big kahunas, Merry Christmas to you too man.

Old 12-14-2006, 10:26 AM
DI75
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

traggic story..

Old 12-14-2006, 06:47 PM
1200c
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

was not wearing a helmet during the accident, which resulted in severe head trauma as well as a collapsed lung,
Hmmm.....I never knew that helmets were suppose to prevent collapseed lungs. It's a sad story, but I hate the media mentioning not weaing a helmet like they have some kind of agenda to push. Sorry. I just had to vent about that.

Old 12-14-2006, 07:05 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ever notice the number of armchair 1/4 backs here,,,,,,,
freak accidents happen everyday in every situation,,
thats why its called accidents!

RIP bro