General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Product knowledge

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 09:00 AM
Windfairy
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Product knowledge

I have been told that to be a manager in a H-D Service Shop that the person does not have to have any H-D qualifications or product knowledge. It is disturbing to me that a person who has run a car shop, never owned or ridden any kind of bike could be hired to run a H-D shop. Comments please .....

Old 12-13-2006, 09:28 AM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Product knowledge

I can't say that I've heard that before, but it sure would explain a lot. Follow some of the threads on this and other forums about how poorly some of the sales and service "advisors" are trained and it makes a lot of sense. Some people will tell you that sales are sales, but there sure is a lot of difference between selling appliances at Sears and Harley Davidsons or any other motor vehicle for that matter. I for one would not even deal with anyone who could not answer simple questions about their product, whatever it happens to be.

Old 12-13-2006, 09:38 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

I'll bet that some dealership owners would rather train someone for a management position so they could pay them less.

Old 12-13-2006, 09:39 AM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I suppose if it were a very large shop, management could be clueless on how to actually 'do' stuff. Would seem to be the wrong way to do business, tho. Hard to improve anything when you do not know what 'normal' operations are.

Old 12-13-2006, 09:53 AM
Milt
Banned

Doesn't suprise me.I worked at auto dealers for over 20 yrs.Do you think management and service writers know all about their products? Cause they don't.And are of course clueless when it comes to actually fixing them,with very few exceptions.They're biggest qualification is do you know how to run the computer,to start a repair order.

Old 12-13-2006, 10:15 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

When I hired people I was much more concerned about their attitude, courtesy, communication, people skills, etc. You can always teach a person techniques and procedure but you can't teach them how to provide good customer service.

I don't think it's important they know the answer to a question but it is important that they know where to find the answer.

Old 12-13-2006, 10:19 AM
Hdbiker1450
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: whaap

When I hired people I was much more concerned about their attitude, courtesy, communication, people skills, etc. You can always teach a person techniques and procedure but you can't teach them how to provide good customer service.

I don't think it's important they know the answer to a question but it is important that they know where to find the answer.
Very good point, whaap. The advisor should have some knowledge, but it's the actual wrench that does the work!
Milt--Aren't auto service writers paid on a commission basis?

Old 12-13-2006, 11:36 AM
rdam
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

ORIGINAL: whaap

Most sales people I have dealt with are afraid to say "I don't know", and will make up information before trying to find a correct answer. Eight hours on this forum will teach you more about H-D's than most sales people know.

Old 12-13-2006, 11:59 AM
Big Sled
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 8,487 Likes on 4,380 Posts

Dealerships are owned by independent businesspeople. The staff will have the skill sets that the owner wants them to, and can pay for. I've never had high expectations that the folks out front have tech skills, then I get pleasantly surprised when they do. The shop techs had better be damn good or they won't ever even see my bike. The parts desk folks need to be able to always "match" correctly. If the salesperson is nuts about bikes, they'll do a good job. My dealer is doing well!

The previous bike was from a dealer that was probably OK back in the shop but the sales and mgmt. were pretty sad. I don't even glance at that dealership when I drive by it.

I strongly feel it is the customer's responsibility to set the expectations and make them known and then walk if a business doesn't perform.