Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shovelhead price guidelines?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 01:12 PM
Chunk
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Shovelhead price guidelines?

Is this engine too expensive?

Lookin around I see plenty of complete Shovelheads fer about $5.5K ta $8K complete, in good running stock condition but I'm not the type ta leave it that way, so, if I spend so much I'm gonna end up w/ a bunch more parts just sittin around because all I really want is the engine anyway.

I really want a Knucklehead, or do I?

Just started a 4 banger project but I could put it aside fer awhile--haven't gotten very far into it.

Any advice before I dig a hole too big ta get out of?
Much appreciated.

Last edited by Chunk; 01-24-2012 at 02:20 PM. Reason: no reason ta give it all away
Old 01-22-2012, 01:20 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,840 Likes on 17,836 Posts

That's the average going price on a complete used shovel motor . Up side is that place dismantles STOCK non screwed with bikes so that's probably an intact OEM motor and I'd call that a plus . A lot of the engines I've seen for sale the last couple yrs have been " builders " that have been assembled from lots of odd parts and put up for sale by hustlers trying to jump the " Vintage " shovelhead craze .

I hate the frigging word , you ever see it in an add for shovel stuff the seller is a wannabe resale hustler who may or may not know dick about they have or prior ownership so head's up on that .

Old 01-22-2012, 03:00 PM
Chunk
Road Warrior

I wanna flush that engine & run it a while--see what happens first--before I rebuild it?

Nearly 47K miles but nice compression test

Last edited by Chunk; 01-22-2012 at 03:03 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 03:09 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

With those miles upper end needs a redo , that's mid life for a shovel and you have no idea how she was treated and there's some stuff you'll want to do anyway for peace of mind and reliability not mention a little boost in the pants . Time & elbow grease all alum on that will polish out sweet .

You go this route pm me and pass on some places to get stuff done right but at a working mans prices , I've been using them for 30 + yrs and I know all the good places to get decent hard parts for livable prices . I'll fill you in on the common stuff for upgrades and tweaks too as you go .

No you think you want a knucklehead , those are not a casual motor to have nor cheap . Stick with the shovel at this point in your life it's a very good base to learn all the ropes on and real forgiving about it . They will take many times the abuse anything made the last 25 yrs and still roll .

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 01-22-2012 at 03:14 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 03:45 PM
Chunk
Road Warrior

No you think you want a knucklehead , those are not a casual motor to have nor cheap . Stick with the shovel at this point in your life it's a very good base to learn all the ropes on and real forgiving about it

My uncle always said the flathead was the most stupid & loyal engine in the world. Expense, at this time--I can fix anything I can look at--is driving my decision. If I put aside my 4banger I can get just shy of enough(for a short period of time) ta flush, head work, & regasket, including a used 4 speed & decent primary. Everything else I can do, have or get done.
I appreciate the help Biker--is the (underlined enough right off--I won't hold it against ya or hate ya).

Old 01-22-2012, 03:52 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

All that is one of the reasons you look for a beater shovel intact , all the nickle & dime stuff is there and you sell off what you don't keep or use . I've built them from the ground up & from rollers , said & done the roller is the cheapest at the end of the project both money & time wise unless you got a 12x12 shed full of everything like I do or a bunch buddies with piles of stuff .

Old 01-22-2012, 04:12 PM
Chunk
Road Warrior

No sweat, I cut & build jigs & place frame/body pieces for trailers for trailers w/ my bud's welding skills we get it done.

I should not leave my 4banger project

Gonna put the banger aside fur awhile.

Thanks--

Last edited by Chunk; 01-25-2012 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Good one