General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you guys believe this?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 09:05 AM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 223 Likes on 158 Posts

Well here's another thread for all the pseudoscientists and the conspiracy theory types I suppose.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." -Albert Einstein

Old 01-22-2012, 09:08 AM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Well here in Saskatchewan at least we get a choice. Premium fuel is not ethanol polluted so if you don't mind paying a dime more per liter it's there for purchase.
I have found if you mix 1 ounce of low ash 2 stroke oil per 5 gallons of gas my mileage goes up. It seems to negate the drying effect of ethanol as well. And 2 ounces acetone per 5 gallons also helps.
The acetone reduces the surface tension of the fuel thereby shelling create a more complete burn.
The Canadian government got a company to experiment with household chemicals to see if there was something that could be done to help the average Canadian burn less fuel. It was about 5 years ago. They had a website and would update it daily with their findings. Acetone,xylene and toluene all showed promise in providing a more complete burn.
Well big oil discovered what was going on,bought the company doing the testing then canned the website and it's findings. I was lucky enough to have the updates sent to my email for about 3 months then BOOOM. All over and tge website didn't exist.
Acetone,xylene or toluene. 2 ounces per 5 gallons. It takes a couple of tanks before your o2 sensors realize that it needs lest fuel put it will happen.

Old 01-22-2012, 09:47 AM
desertrideryz
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 7 Posts

I have an 07 Chevy Silverado that can run both E85 and gas. I heard that you got lower mileage with E85. But I've checked it over the years. Im getting pretty close to the same gas miles no matter what I run.

Old 01-22-2012, 09:59 AM
JohnC FXDX
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mech-a-nic
Top fuel Dragsters use 12 gallons a run thats a 1/4 mile. What kind of fuel mileage you getting on that bike? Theres a reason its not used in cars for the street.

Yes you can run higher compression, and yes get more HP but thats not a rejet or reflash. Thats changing Rods and pistons to utlize the differance. In that case you can go to LP or natural gas and get the same results if not more power, and lower emmisions. the USA has one of the lagrest reservers of it and it is waisted every day by being burned off........ O ya the stations are not set up for that that would be a real change.

Plane and simple if your motor was not built for it its bad for it. And if I burn 20% to 30% more fuel that 10% Ethonal thats 10% to 20% more gas burned per mile? How is that better for the emmisions? your just speding it out over a longer time ...... your deluting the emmisions to make the numbers come out to what you want. the only people that are pushing Ethonal are the corn farmers!!!!!
You've got a lot to learn. There are many things wrong with what you stated. First off, I'm not a fan of ethanol, I'm just clarifying the truth about the myths. We are never going to be an ethanol country because we would never be able to produce enough. If every piece of farm land was soley producing corn for ethanol, it would give us less than 20% of what we use in gas. Don't forget that we need farmland for food, clothing etc.
Yes ethanol does not get as many mpg's, but a dragster would use nearly as much dino fuel. It's making an estimated 8500 hp. They wouldn't make that much on petrol though. It's also not necessary to change rods and pistons to benefit from it. Many car makers have dual fuel vehicles that run regular gas or E85. The only difference is it switches its tune in the computer. They make as much as 15% more power and are several tenths quicker on acceleration. It's been tested and published. However, if you are going to build your engine, you can use a higher compression than gas and make more power without detonation. No need to change rods.
I run 10% all of the time in my cars and my bike. It's not a 20%+ reduction in mileage. I actually surpased the rated highway mileage by 4mpg with my one car on a trip. The others are right in the range they are supposed to be. When I moved to Florida for two years, I didn't have to deal with the 10% anymore. I didn't notice any significant change in mileage at all. The numbers that you talk about for mileage are for the E85 or straight ethanol. And the reason it doesn't cause more emissions is because it is corn oil, not petrol. I don't know how else to explain that other than that it burns a lot cleaner.
The only thing you would have to change on your bike to run E85 or better would be the carb or injectors and the fuel line. Pretty simple.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:14 AM
CHOPPIN' CHARLIE
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Ethanol free gas

Originally Posted by MJHJEA
I was having a conversation with my longtime mechanic yesterday, and he was telling me about the upcoming changes in gasoline. Sometime in June, ethanol levels will be raised per new government standards. The new levels will be extremely destructive to carburators. I have been looking for another carbed bike and he told me that I'm asking for problems. He went on further to say that it's the government's way of getting the pre 1990 automobiles (carb) off the road and stimulate the economy with later model and brand new car purchases. Supposedly, any carb would suffer. Weed eaters, mowers,...and obviously carbed motorcycles too. To me it seems far fetched, but he's not the type of guy who's ever fed me any type of bull. I'm just concerned about staying away from a future "carbed" bike purchase. What do you guys think, anyone have any knowledge in this area?
In the meantime, Ethanol Free Gas is still available. Search ETHANOL FREE GAS FOR LOCATIONS IN USA AND CANADA. When change comes, maybe these locations might survive. Or not.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:21 AM
TaterSaladonaRoadking
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't see why everybody is so concerned, most folks on this forum appear to only keep their bikes for 2 to 3 years. You wont degrade things by then

Old 01-22-2012, 11:24 AM
TaterSaladonaRoadking
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by desertrideryz
I have an 07 Chevy Silverado that can run both E85 and gas. I heard that you got lower mileage with E85. But I've checked it over the years. Im getting pretty close to the same gas miles no matter what I run.
Your checking it wrong then! E85 is much less efficient there is no possible way your are getting the same gas mileage, unless you calculate gas mileage like my wife. Which goes back to my first statement you are calculating it wrong.

Old 01-22-2012, 02:20 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by mech-a-nic
Top fuel Dragsters use 12 gallons a run thats a 1/4 mile. What kind of fuel mileage you getting on that bike? Theres a reason its not used in cars for the street.

(Snip the rest)
Top Fuel dragsters burn a nitromethane and methanol blend, not ethanol. Top Alcohol dragsters generally burn methanol, although ethanol is sometimes used.

Old 01-22-2012, 02:27 PM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

Support the AMA and thier fight against this, and many other, rules that will be bad to the motorcycle community.
http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/rights

Old 01-22-2012, 04:00 PM
Galdog
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Just Dave
Just put some Star-Tron in every tank and ride on. http://www.starbrite.com/sproductdetail.cfm?ID=1537
Good stuff, that's what I've been using!

Quick Reply: Do you guys believe this?