General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you guys believe this?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 05:31 PM
Eyeball Kid
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 358 Likes on 253 Posts

Master of Puppets.

Old 01-21-2012, 07:48 PM
mech-a-nic
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can tell you Ethonal is hell on gaskets and ruber o-rings. not to mention you fuel milage!!! And your fuel milage gets progressively worse the harder you run. on Real gas 38 to 42 MPG running hard 33 to 36. With the "up to 10%" crap 34 to 36 MPG and running hard you only get 147.6 miles on a 5 gallon tank. thats less than 30 MPG!!!!!

No tell me how buring that much more fuel is better for the enviroment? Its just a supplment to farmers BS. Thats why I hate to fill up in SC its damn near impossable to find a non ethonal station. At least here in NC most BP and Shell are eth-free

And as far as marked pumps for this one and that one. I can tell you from first had experance (working at a gas station) when a fuel deliverly truck drops his fuel and has a little left that will not fit in 1 tank he will just mix it with the next tank....He is not bring fuel back to his pump station.

Old 01-21-2012, 08:10 PM
JohnC FXDX
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You can be set up to run ethanol and it is better than gas. Burning more is not more harmful because it burns cleaner. If your bike makes 90 hp on gas, you can probably exceed 100 hp on ethanol. How is that bad? I've seen plenty of high performance cars set up to run E85 and they are making crazy amounts of power. What do you think funny cars and dragsters have been using for years, alcohol.

Old 01-21-2012, 08:21 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,536 Posts

Originally Posted by barjbar
Yeah they're going to 15% ethanol blend but the pumps will be marked and it can only be used in vehicles manufactured after 2001. It's not for use in motorcycles. Pumps will also be installed to dispense different grades of ethanol fuel from the same pump.
that is a true statement. but many (of the eco***s) are worried that e15 will be a massive flop. reason being, if the gas station has to clearly mark (signage) the warnings of e15, consumers will have a prejudiced opinion of it going into it and will skip the e15 for the e10 or less. gas station owners are going to be more reluctant to run it since they would have to have a separate storage tank for it. just a lot of things going against it. (thank god )

Originally Posted by JayDRod
Even the E90 (10% Ethanol) is destructive to engines and not just carburetors either.
don't you mean e10? kinda squishes you're argument when you start off like that...... not that i'm disagreeing with you.

Last edited by skratch; 01-21-2012 at 08:23 PM.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:47 PM
wcsj55@yahoo.com
Extreme HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So what are we going to use in Chainsaws,Lawn Mowers,Weed Whackers,Generators and anything else that has a Carburetor ?

Old 01-21-2012, 10:31 PM
Yojimbo
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ethanol burns slower than 'regular' gasoline and can be compressed more than gasoline without detonating. But ethanol has only about 2/3 the energy (BTUs) of an equivalent volume of gasoline, so mileage and power are greatly reduced while burning similar volumes. Ethanol is also corrosive to many automotive metals, due in part to its ability to absorb water and cause rust. And if the government stopped subsidizing ethanol, the price would be higher than gas. When gas is eventually outlawed, we will be paying more for ethanol, getting less from it and (therefore) be forced to buy more of it, which yields more tax money for the gub'ment.

Old 01-22-2012, 08:07 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 131 Posts

We've been a few ethonol engines for bikes. The firsty one we built was over 6 years ago, it's a 103" for an '04 Roadking. Makes 116 HP and arouns 120 TRQ. We have a 107 that we are building right now that will run on ethonol. Looking to put out some serious power with it, it's going on an '07 Lowrider. They will run great once you get them tuned for it.

Old 01-22-2012, 08:34 AM
MJHJEA
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

So what's the bottom line here guys? Still going to be options at the pump? Additives for your carbed equipment, including bike? My main concern was that I love a carbed bike, but should I stay away from buying one? It sounds conclusive to me that damage as well as poorer economy is fact. Are we also talking the same for EFI? My mechanic said (as you guys confirmed) that much of the damage is caused to rubber gaskets, etc. internally. I'm not mechanically inclined, so I'm trying to get the big picture on the outlook for both motors. Sounds like both will be affected, carbs becoming damaged, correct?

Old 01-22-2012, 08:46 AM
mech-a-nic
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnC FXDX
You can be set up to run ethanol and it is better than gas. Burning more is not more harmful because it burns cleaner. If your bike makes 90 hp on gas, you can probably exceed 100 hp on ethanol. How is that bad? I've seen plenty of high performance cars set up to run E85 and they are making crazy amounts of power. What do you think funny cars and dragsters have been using for years, alcohol.
Top fuel Dragsters use 12 gallons a run thats a 1/4 mile. What kind of fuel mileage you getting on that bike? Theres a reason its not used in cars for the street.

Yes you can run higher compression, and yes get more HP but thats not a rejet or reflash. Thats changing Rods and pistons to utlize the differance. In that case you can go to LP or natural gas and get the same results if not more power, and lower emmisions. the USA has one of the lagrest reservers of it and it is waisted every day by being burned off........ O ya the stations are not set up for that that would be a real change.

Plane and simple if your motor was not built for it its bad for it. And if I burn 20% to 30% more fuel that 10% Ethonal thats 10% to 20% more gas burned per mile? How is that better for the emmisions? your just speding it out over a longer time ...... your deluting the emmisions to make the numbers come out to what you want. the only people that are pushing Ethonal are the corn farmers!!!!!

Last edited by mech-a-nic; 01-22-2012 at 08:48 AM.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:52 AM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by MJHJEA
I was having a conversation with my longtime mechanic yesterday, and he was telling me about the upcoming changes in gasoline. Sometime in June, ethanol levels will be raised per new government standards. The new levels will be extremely destructive to carburators. I have been looking for another carbed bike and he told me that I'm asking for problems. He went on further to say that it's the government's way of getting the pre 1990 automobiles (carb) off the road and stimulate the economy with later model and brand new car purchases. Supposedly, any carb would suffer. Weed eaters, mowers,...and obviously carbed motorcycles too. To me it seems far fetched, but he's not the type of guy who's ever fed me any type of bull. I'm just concerned about staying away from a future "carbed" bike purchase. What do you guys think, anyone have any knowledge in this area?
Ethanol is gas is not necessarily a bad thing. Older engines used rubber seals and hoses that could not stand up to ethanol but engines manufactured in the last 10-15 years don't have this issue. The main active ingredient in fuel additives that promise to clean / de gunk your fuel system and carb, products like Seafoam, is ethanol.

Quick Reply: Do you guys believe this?