General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What was your coldest ride?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006 | 06:49 AM
edilgdaor
Banned
Default RE: What was your coldest ride?

Upper 20s. The last time without my new heated gloves I believe it was 27 when I got home after a 45 minute ride. Tonight it was in the 20s, and I was actually pretty comfortable.

I'm using temps from weather.com, and not my high-precision Harley Davidson Air Temperature gauge. I wonder which is more accurate.........

Old 12-30-2006 | 11:03 AM
J Town
Advanced

Me and a buddy of mine had just worked 60 staright 12 hour nights. Needed to blow off some steam and some ca$h !!! Left for New Orleans in 27 degree weather. Just a short 4 1/2 hour ride and well worth it.

Old 12-30-2006 | 11:19 AM
fatboy4john
Advanced

My coldest ride was going to bike week 2006, it was 19 degrees when I left western Pa.

Old 12-30-2006 | 12:37 PM
Snobal
Tourer

Riding back home to upstate New York from Bike Week in March, '91.

It was lower 20's in Pennsylvania as the sun set Sunday evening. Wantedto get home to go back to work on Monday but had "stayed too long at the fair." The windshield of an FXRS-CON does not keep your hands and legs warm in cold air and I noticed I was having trouble moving my hands and feet. I was getting very, very cold.

Stopped at a rest area on I 81 in Pennsylvania and dug through a trash can to retrive old newspapers. Duck-taped them around my legs and put chaps and rain suit over them.

A couple of hours later as I road along, I was thinking about how funnyit was that my hands did not seem to want to move, then Istarted seeing things --- the best was a clown that ran across the road in front of me --- finally that little voice in the back of my head started saying, "get off the road before you kill yourself."

Stopped at a motel and could not get side-stand down, then after several tries, got side-stand down but could not get off bike. Finally got off bike but almost dumped it over. Lady at motel was most helpful as I could not movemy hands toregister. Motel ladydug out my billfold for me, signed me in, and helped meinto a room.

After about fifteen minutes in themotel room with my hands soaking in warm water theystarted working well enough for me to get my clothes off andshower. About 30 minutes of warm shower and I stopped shaking so Iwent to bed.

Woke up the next morning and found that I could not remember much of the ride of the nite before. Guess my guardian angel about froze his wings keeping up with me that evening.

I now teach MSF classes and try to always tell students that when your hands get so cold that you cannot move them - and you think it is funny - GET OFF THE ROAD!Symptoms of hypothermia include euphoria and halucinations.

Old 12-30-2006 | 12:51 PM
Crazy Biker
Elite HDF Member

27 degrees in the mornings, 30 degrees in the afternoon with snow flurry's

Old 12-30-2006 | 06:25 PM
badherb
Road Captain

rodemine home from the dealership it was 30.... long time ago up in Anchorage AK I drove my ironhead around one November day, I rode for about 2 hours. It was near 0 but the sun was out and the roads were clear. brrrrrr never again.

Old 12-30-2006 | 06:31 PM
atomic
Road Warrior

9 degrees is the lowest I have rode. It is a painful experience. I had winter gloves and wool gloves inside them and still got frostbite.

Old 12-30-2006 | 06:32 PM
eglidebob
Tourer

Wow, after reading some of the responses, I must be a wimp . I won't ride unles it is above freezing. My bones are getting too old for super cold riding.

Old 12-30-2006 | 06:48 PM
CRASH
Road Warrior

The day I picked up my first Sporty. I drove it 45mi home on Interstate 80, in a snow squall. The temperature?? 18 degrees. I thought I was dressed warm enough. Boots, jeans, leather jacket, gloves, and a full face. Not even CLOSE! At 60mph, that wind found every opening in what I was wearing....

Old 12-30-2006 | 06:49 PM
mgumto
Banned

I won't ride anymore unless its in the 50's minimum. Back in Minnesota we would be so antsy to ride come spring, we'd fire up the bikes in mid-march with snow all around but not on the roads and it would be 35-40 out. It was like riding a snowmobile basically. You had to be really careful with all the sand and crap they'd dump on the road......but coldest ride I remember was Halloween back in about 1996 or so. Me and this dude rode our bikes that nite and the temperature was 27 degrees. We didn't wear helmets and our faces like froze it was so cold............

Quick Reply: What was your coldest ride?