General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What was your coldest ride?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006 | 07:16 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Default RE: What was your coldest ride?

Mine was 23* for a 65 mile ride. Not a problem with the heated gear.

Old 12-12-2006 | 08:25 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member

I don't go out under 40. I am afraid of black ice.

Old 12-12-2006 | 08:41 PM
nywarthog
Cruiser

Used to ride the Crotona (NY) MC's "Midnight Run" back in the '60's which was held in January, it started, as the name implies at midnight and was, if memory serves me, an 8 hour timed run. The temps were usually in the single digits and sometimes snow. I rode it twice on XLCH's and once on a '54 sidecar rig. When I left for Daytona bike week in 2005 the temp was 18F in upstate NY, stayed over night in Roanoke Rapids NC and the temp was still 18 the next morning. Took I-40 over to the coast and it finally warmed up to the 40's in Myrtle Beach. As bad as the trip down was the ride home was worse, wasn't as cold 34/35 but rain, sleet and snow from Ga through Del not cold enough to stick on the road but enough to make it a miserable ride. Oh, the flat in Fayetteville NC didn't help either.

Old 12-12-2006 | 08:43 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member

I Ice raced on Lake Champlain, way back when,, Sat. was like -15 degrees windchill,,, it was NASTY!!!

Old 12-12-2006 | 08:45 PM
stcrider07
Cruiser

My coldest so far was 30 degrees, 45 minutes, at 85 mph at night on the interstate with only a jacket, needless to say I froze and will not ride that cold again until I get some cold weather gear. Maybe I'm just a puss, but I was cold.

Old 12-12-2006 | 08:59 PM
WVICEMAN
Road Captain

-10 in Fairbanks Alaska. Was transferring back to the lower 48 and had to get my bike to the HD dealer to be shipped. Coldest 20 miles I've ever done.

Old 12-13-2006 | 02:28 AM
Big Cholla
Road Warrior

On a motorcycle.......about 30 degs. On a racing snowmobile in Anchorage, AK I went 90 mph in 0 deg. F. across a frozen lake for about 3 miles and then back. No heated gear, just good boots, longies and snowmobile suit. For gloves I used SCUBA diving spongy gloves with snowmobile mittens over. Except for a little air leak around the bottom of my helmet, I was quite toasty. ....... BC

Old 12-13-2006 | 04:53 AM
carltex
Road Warrior

36 deg Mckinney to Allen TX going home from work.

Old 12-13-2006 | 06:49 AM
06ultra
Elite HDF Member

Well one night i had to ride to work in this DEEP FREEZE , Dallas , Texas 30 miles one wayand it was way down in the upper30's. Damn it felt good.

Old 12-13-2006 | 08:37 AM
Roses
Road Captain

I am unsure of the exact temps. However in the mid 1980's I rode to my fathers home on xmas eve. I knew it was going to drop to 2 degrees F. that night but I said what the heck it is only 15 miles. It was just before sunset when I set out. Within 3 miles on the highway I was miserable after that I was in pain. I rode north into a 40 MPH arctic blast riding as fast as I could because I knew I was COLD. needless to say, when I arrived at my destination someone had to remove my helmet because I had no sensation at all in my hands and could not even tell where they where much less what they were doing. I could not cut the bike off using the key because it was Stuck/frozen in the run position. I removed the sparkplug wires to shut the thing off. After it ran for a half an hour while the sensation returned in my hands. I eventually disconnected the battery to keep from draining it because of the key being stuck in the run position. My girlfriend came and got me on the cage. It was quite a experience. Part of the problem is that we really have no experience with those type of temps in South Alabama. My riding gear was in no way adequate for those conditions.

Quick Reply: What was your coldest ride?