Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Storage (short term)

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 05:28 PM
docsg
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Storage (short term)

I live in a relatively warm climate (south Alabama) and therefore get to ride fairly often. AAMOF, it is almost 70 degrees today. However, in early January I will have "out-patient" surgery (a hernia-****!) and the surgeon said I'm not to ride the bike for at least 8 weeks. He is also a Harley rider and understands my "pain" in more ways than one. My question is this--is it okay to let the bike sit for 8 weeks without going through the "winterizing" thing I have read about on the forum? It sits in a garage that stays fairly warm (even when the temp drops) and is on a battery tender when not being riden. I will be able to start it after 3 or 4 weeks but I've also read just letting it idle is not that good either. I have a friend who volunteered to ride it for me at least once a week but I don't really like that idea. I would appreciate any suggestions--

Old 12-12-2006, 05:32 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Storage (short term)

I would keep it on a battery tender and try to get a friend to ride it once a week. If you
can't find anyone to ride it, I'd change the oil, put stabilizer in the fuel tank, hook up the
battery tender and put a cover over it for the 8 weeks. But getting a friend to ride it once
a week is what I'd do.

Old 12-12-2006, 05:32 PM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

just fill it full of gas and put a battery tender on it. Man I had a rupture, I was on mine in 2 weeks.

Old 12-12-2006, 06:34 PM
Bighorse
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just make sure it is full of the highest octane gas you can find & a battery trickle charger would help but not necessary if your battery is in good condition. Good luck with the surgery.

Old 12-12-2006, 08:27 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Some fuel stabilizer might be a good idea and a battery tender and good luck on your surgery.

Old 12-12-2006, 08:49 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

invite me down, (away from this cold),,,, I'll keep it warm for ya
yes I'll wash and shine,, be like new when your ready?!
want my #?

Old 12-12-2006, 09:03 PM
Cowboy Tom
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

docsg, I am having to laugh... I am sitting here with my belly hurting from bi-lateral laproscopic hernia surgery last Tuesday.
I was expecting to return to work yesterday, and a self imposed two weeks off the bike. But I just got off the phone with my boss and told him I won't be returning to work this week, will go back Monday.
One BIG piece of advice... if they give you VICODIN, DO NOT take it without food. I have always been able to take VICODIN without eating, but I took it Wednesday morning without eating and I was tore up inside for three days, stomach must have been real empty.
As far as riding, I expect to be riding again in two weeks. That will be three weeks off the bike.