Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold Weather Starting (carb)

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 07:19 AM
avetter11
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Cold Weather Starting (carb)

I went out to start the bike and couldn't get it started. It was around 30 degrees. I keep the batt on a tender so it was fully charged. Although I know it is old and not in as strong as a new one, so it could be the batt. I tried until the batt went flat...about a minute.

Thing is, I think it would have started if I had the right technique. It would fire, just not continue running. Having vehicles w/FI has spoiled me on starting.

So what is the ritual you guys use when starting your carbed bike in cold weather?
You know, like: twist throttle once, twice, then starter, twist/hold 1/4 turn while starting, etc.)

TIA
Brian

Old 01-20-2012, 08:11 AM
bentryder
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,426 Likes on 2,201 Posts

my routine was...gas on..choke out full..twist throttle once..starter/kick till fires once....choke in 1/2...fire up...choke in as she warms up...

Old 01-20-2012, 08:35 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by bentryder
my routine was...gas on..choke out full..twist throttle once..starter/kick till fires once....choke in 1/2...fire up...choke in as she warms up...
Same here with the exception of leaving the choke out full until it starts. Never really a problem.

If your bike has been sitting a long time it's possible the carb dried out so you may just need a few more twists of the trottle. Or maybe hold it open while you turn over the bike.

Old 01-20-2012, 08:46 AM
EezyE
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a problem with mine starting and not running right. I was not the original owner of the bike. I took the carb off and cleaned it. I also found the slow jet was stopped up. Instead of trying to clean it, I just replaced it. You may want to take a look to make sure your jets are not stopped up and your diaphram is ok.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:46 AM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,629 Likes on 2,734 Posts

Below 30 my Sporty won't fire, even with starting fluid. Above freezing, no problem. Only engine I've ever tried starting fluid on with no result; doubt if it's just the carb alone. But when it's warm enough to fire once, it will start and run fine. Don't particularly want to ride below freezing anyway.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:15 AM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Choke and hold 1/4 throttle. Fires up with temps in the teens.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:19 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oil viscosity needs to fit the outside temperature. Good gas. Turn gas on. Turn key on. Flip switch to run. Count to six. Two full twist of the wick. Pull out choke/enricher. Hit starter switch and let bike turn over four times. If it doesn't catch. Two more full twist of the wick. Make sure enricher/choke is still out. Turn bike over four more times with starter. Bike should run. If it doesn't there is no use in burning up a starter or running a battery down. Something is probably wrong. The one thing that bothered me is how fast your battery ran down. Once that bike catches it should be easy to keep running by throttle and enricher/choke till it is warm enough to idle.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:32 AM
avetter11
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks guys,

It's only been a week since I last rode it. It's always been cold natured. I suspect it's mostly due to a weak batt. It seemed like it was turning over kinda slow. I'm just hoping to get it over to storage til next season.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:48 AM
bentryder
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,426 Likes on 2,201 Posts

Originally Posted by avetter11
Thanks guys,

I'm just hoping to get it over to storage til next season.

you want help gettin it started so you can put her in storage?.....there's your problem right there.....lol.....she dont wanna go!....

Old 01-20-2012, 11:00 AM
Saltwaterwop
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cold to us is only the high 30's or mostly low 40's F, but Piglet seems to have little cold issues starting now that I've got the carb clean via a take down cleaning and some tanks of seafoam:

Key on
1 to 1.5 twists of the throttle max
Choke out full
Hit starter once
Barely tweak the throttle with my finger tips for 5 seconds or so till she quits fartin
Let it run idle on full choke for a minute then down to half for a minute as I gear up
Choke all the way in and ride slow the first couple of minutes

Quick Reply: Cold Weather Starting (carb)