General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about shifting into 1st gear.......

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 01:11 PM
HDmikie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 112 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Question about shifting into 1st gear.......

Did a search and didn't find anything so thought I'd toss it out here. Do you guys shift into first gear while you're still moving or wait until you come to a stop? I know I can shift my Fatboy into first gear while moving but it seems to work pretty hard. Thanks!

Last edited by HDmikie; 01-21-2012 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Add a couple words.
Old 01-15-2012, 01:14 PM
K Melancon
Road Warrior
Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

I always down shift into 1st before coming to a stop. If I'm doing something wrong I've been doing it for 30 years.

Old 01-15-2012, 01:26 PM
CBRAV0810
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I shift down to first also unless I've needed to stop quickly or some reason. I guess those times I'm guilty of engaging clutch and free wheeling the bike. I also wait to see if the person behind me is actually gonna to stop before shifting into neutral if my hands need a break.

Old 01-15-2012, 01:37 PM
Wide_Open
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 149 Likes on 83 Posts

I shift into 1st before I come to a stop. Once I'm safely covered from the back I'll shift into neutral if it's going to be a bit.

Old 01-15-2012, 01:46 PM
dieselguy65
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

shift into first as i come to a stop, and never ever ever sit at a light in neutral. been to many times i needed to move fast, and having to go back into gear takes time. if my hands need that few second break, ineed to stop riding for awhile. its not that hard to hold the lever in. did the same all the years driving trucks, never in neutral at lights. pisses me off to no end to be behind a rig, the light changes, he has to push clutch in, get input shaft stopped, get in gear and go. by that time alot of lights are back on yellow , maybe two or three vehicles get thru

Old 01-15-2012, 01:48 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,760 Likes on 2,530 Posts

Like previously mentioned, roll to the stop in first and stay in gear till sometime solid stops behind me then I slip into neutral. It's just depend on the conditions as to how it's handled.

Old 01-15-2012, 01:51 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

When taking my road test the my tester had me put the bike on neutral and hands off the bars at every stop. So now it's just my habit to roll up to stop in neutral. Then once the light changes put er in first and roll.

Old 01-15-2012, 02:12 PM
creed0423
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shredding rubber
When taking my road test the my tester had me put the bike on neutral and hands off the bars at every stop. So now it's just my habit to roll up to stop in neutral. Then once the light changes put er in first and roll.
In the book they gave me before I tested said never stop in neutral. In case something is happening behind you..

Old 01-15-2012, 02:27 PM
dieselguy65
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by creed0423
In the book they gave me before I tested said never stop in neutral. In case something is happening behind you..
he was in canada, i hear they do things 'different' there. i know here n texas, you drop the bike in N and hands off bars during your riding test, you will fail. same in a big rig. it is NEVER supposed to be in neutral while on the road, short of the time in between switching gears. also not legal to change gears thru an intersection, or while going over RR tracks.

Old 01-15-2012, 02:30 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by creed0423
I definitely see the flaw in the idea however that isn't what she wanted. It was a decade ago so perhaps they re-wrote common safety practices.

Quick Reply: Question about shifting into 1st gear.......