General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grey looking oil in the

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 06:12 PM
scasey
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grey looking oil in the

primary?? Doing my 15K service and the oil that came out of the primary had a grey look to it, water I suspect?? This is the 1st time/attempt for me doing my own service. I instructed the dealer at the 10K service to change fluids in all 3 holes, wonder if they did ! That being said, I would not expect it to be gray looking, dirty maybe but not grey???

WTF could be up with that ???

Old 01-13-2012, 06:14 PM
Chunk
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe a bad bearing

Old 01-13-2012, 06:20 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 276 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by scasey
primary?? Doing my 15K service and the oil that came out of the primary had a grey look to it, water I suspect?? This is the 1st time/attempt for me doing my own service. I instructed the dealer at the 10K service to change fluids in all 3 holes, wonder if they did ! That being said, I would not expect it to be gray looking, dirty maybe but not grey???

WTF could be up with that ???
Grey color in the primary fluid is likely metal. Some is normal. Your dealer can look at fluid and tell you if it's acceptable. If you want to get **** with it you can send it for oil analysis and get a print out of what is found in it, How much metal attached to drain plug magnet? It is unlikely your dealer failed to change it at time of service.

Last edited by checkers; 01-13-2012 at 06:22 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:22 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,815 Likes on 3,170 Posts

Mine has always been grey looking...every oil change at every 5000 mile change for the last 100,000 miles. Still have all the original components in there too.

I run 10W-40 motor oil, nothing more

Old 01-13-2012, 06:23 PM
Simple Man
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it looks metallic, it's metal. If it is a milky-grey color there is a good chance there is water in the oil. Either way, you need to investigate and find the cause.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:25 PM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 86 Likes on 50 Posts

Hmm, I don't know. I've always thought grey to be a sign of water in the oil. But, it's been a long time since I've had any experience with that.

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Old 01-13-2012, 06:30 PM
scasey
Road Master

Originally Posted by checkers
Grey color in the primary fluid is likely metal. Some is normal. Your dealer can look at fluid and tell you if it's acceptable. If you want to get **** with it you can send it for oil analysis and get a print out of what is found in it, How much metal attached to drain plug magnet? It is unlikely your dealer failed to change it at time of service.

there was some metal attached to the plug, it was covered with metal and since it is such a small plug i can't reallly say what that tells me?

it definetly suprised me to see a grey looking oil, did not expect that but also my 1st time

Old 01-13-2012, 06:32 PM
1skrewsloose
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Grey points to water to me also, run a magnet thru it. Can't really find where water would be getting in the crankcase, unless you take lots of short rides, condensation.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:33 PM
scasey
Road Master

Originally Posted by Simple Man
If it looks metallic, it's metal. If it is a milky-Grey color there is a good chance there is water in the oil. Either way, you need to investigate and find the cause.

OK, but what could cause water in the primary? How do u investigate that? Can't find that in the manual

Old 01-13-2012, 06:46 PM
scasey
Road Master

Originally Posted by 1skrewsloose
Grey points to water to me also, run a magnet thru it. Can't really find where water would be getting in the crankcase, unless you take lots of short rides, condensation.

Hmm..... you may have the answer there, recently we have been going trough some crazy temperature changes here in Florida. One day it will be 70f and the next morning it will be 23F very frequently the last month.

I don't usually take short rides, minimum of 50 to 100 miles every time I go. No runs to the grocery store and back.

Quick Reply: Grey looking oil in the