General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decibel Meters Hand Held

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 05:17 PM
McBolt1
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decibel Meters Hand Held

If anyone knows of any city (besides Elk Grove CA) or state (besides Maine) that allow law enforcement to use hand held decibel meters for muffler/noise enforcement; please post or email me direct.

Hand held decibel meters are not legally allowed, they are against Federal Guidelines

Thank you

Last edited by McBolt1; 01-13-2012 at 05:17 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-13-2012, 05:48 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

What Federal guidelines are they against?

BTW, State law can be more stringent than federal law. It just cannot be more lax. And City ordinances can be more stringent than State.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:08 PM
MikeySom
Road Captain
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 394 Likes on 155 Posts

I got a loud pipe ticket by a cop in New Hope PA using a handheld decibel meter all I did was start the bike and he walked right over with his little i gotcha grin on his face needless to say I dont go to that little tourist town any more.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:09 PM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member
Received 121 Likes on 87 Posts

If a cop doesn't have one, here in Japan, they are SOL on giving you a citation for loud pipes...

Old 01-13-2012, 07:35 PM
BBStacker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The following information is from a CHP Bulletin (98-100) on Enforcement of Excessive noise for basically all vehicles in California. Hope it helps ya!

The CHP does not currently provide either the instrumentation or training necessary to conduct exhaust noise testing.
Can local authorities enact or enforce more strict ordinances regarding vehicle noise?

No. Section 21 VC makes the VC applicable and uniform throughout the state, and prohibits local authorities from enacting or enforcing any ordinance on the matters covered by the VC unless expressly authorized to do so. In-use vehicle noise is addressed in Sections 23130 and 23130.5 VC. There is no provision in the VC that permits local authorities to adopt additional noise limitations. Consequently, citations issued under such ordinances are invalid.

What type of enforcement action should be taken against vehicles emitting excessive noise?

Providing none of the disqualifying conditions listed in Section 40610(b) are present, the use of the CHP 281, "Notice to Correct," or checking the Dismissable Violation "Yes" box on the CHP 215, "Notice to Appear (Arrest Citation)," would be appropriate for these violations.

Note: New law (27150.2 VC) does not require law enforcement to use sound level meters to test for excessive noise. Citation is based on officer's judgment. Cited violators may have testing done at smog referee stations or may be directed by the court to have testing done. Vehicles in violation must be brought into compliance. A fine may also be imposed.<-----As of 2003

Last edited by BBStacker; 01-13-2012 at 07:39 PM.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:38 PM
phillyrube
Road Warrior

Legal in Virginia, we use one for loud parties and such. They can be used for bikes, but if I write, I can enforce loud pipes by hearing the pipes more than 100' away, then write for altered exhaust system.

Old 01-14-2012, 05:20 PM
Konfuzion
Cruiser

Originally Posted by phillyrube
Legal in Virginia, we use one for loud parties and such. They can be used for bikes, but if I write, I can enforce loud pipes by hearing the pipes more than 100' away, then write for altered exhaust system.
I want to take a stab at you, but I will save it for any cop that writes me up for pipes.

Old 01-14-2012, 06:53 PM
chamokie
Supporter
Received 246 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Konfuzion
I want to take a stab at you, but I will save it for any cop that writes me up for pipes.
You are your own worst enemy, because of riders not policing our own the public has spoken. NH is coming down hard on all of us because of a few individuals that could care less. Oh by the way, if I did write you,it would be my pleasure to square off with you in court.

Last edited by chamokie; 01-14-2012 at 07:43 PM.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:35 PM
robbie52
Road Warrior
Received 141 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
What Federal guidelines are they against?

BTW, State law can be more stringent than federal law. It just cannot be more lax. And City ordinances can be more stringent than State.
Don't think so. Just ask Myrtle Beach about their helmet law.

Old 01-14-2012, 07:56 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by robbie52
Don't think so. Just ask Myrtle Beach about their helmet law.

I don't know anything about Myrtle Beach's helmet law. Enlighten me.

As far as my other comments, they are a matter of fact. Local ordinances can expand upon or strengthen state laws, but may not decrease them. If a local city or county governmental entity desires a stiffer law or penalty regarding the wearing of helmets, one can be created.

Last edited by DannyZ71; 01-14-2012 at 08:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Decibel Meters Hand Held