General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decibel Meters Hand Held

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 04:13 PM
Morris9982
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by robbie52
Don't think so. Just ask Myrtle Beach about their helmet law.
The helmet law in Myrtle Beach was found to be unconstitutional by the South Carolina Supreme Court. See the link below.

As far as I can remember, most of the other restrictive motorcycle laws they enacted in response to resident's complaints about the motorcycle rallies, were also found unconstitutional.

If you read the article in the link and all the other articles about Myrtle Beach and the rallies, you might form the same opinion as I that the intent was to drive the rallies out of their town. They reportedly did not like the motorcycles in town and all the noise and disruptions they brought.

I lived about an hour west of Myrtle Beach for about 20 years and talked with a number of residents there. Some of them quietly revealed to me that they didn't mind the Harleys as much as the sport rider rally. Most of the sport bike riders were African-American and those were the ones they wanted out of town. They could not specifically target those riders so they enacted laws that applied to all motorcycles as that was the only legal way they could get rid of the others. Sad but true.

Myrtle Beach will never again get any of my money and I would encourage others to consider doing the same.

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/201...tle-beach.html

Many suspect the reason Myrtle Beach city officials tried to kill the Harley event in May was to run off the rowdies attending the annual Atlantic Beach Bike Festival, known colloquially as Black Bike Week; throwing out the proverbial baby with the bath water. Meanwhile, the town of Atlantic Beach decided not only to embrace, but to officially sponsor the event that caters to a younger crowd riding racing-inspired, so-called “crotch rocket” motorcycles. Black Bike Week takes place every Memorial Day weekend, which runs May 25-28 this year.
Read more here: http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/201...#storylink=cpy

Old 01-15-2012, 04:25 PM
BBStacker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by phillyrube
Legal in Virginia, we use one for loud parties and such. They can be used for bikes, but if I write, I can enforce loud pipes by hearing the pipes more than 100' away, then write for altered exhaust system.
Wow, loud parties? I know here in Cali. you have to have a citizen that is willing to sign the complaint. According to the laws here (unless they have changed) an officer cannot have his peace disturbed (loud parties).

Back to the OP, interesting how this went from loud exhausts to helmet laws.

Old 01-15-2012, 04:50 PM
chamokie
Supporter
Received 246 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by lostsoul71
Can you define policing our own ?

This should be rich.
By policing our own I mean the people that are knowingly agitating "johnny on the street" that never has nor ever will own a motorcycle. Straight pipes at 3 AM does not give bikers a good name. No matter how many benefit runs we ride on or how many charitable we go on those self appointed noise makers give us all black eye.
I have personally spoken to those that I have been next too, asking them to please quiet it down or we all suffer, which is what happened. Even my dealer has refused to install straight pipe. Go to the "does loud pipes save lives" there are a ton of pages, MOST agree the noise is beyond what average person (non motocyclist) should have to put up with.
Then there are the handfull that feel if you dont run straight pipes you are not part of the gang. Guess what folks, you are helping to disband your "gang".