General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Something I didn't know about Goldwings...

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 08:37 PM
SquishFace
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Something I didn't know about Goldwings...

I'm thinking about getting a 'wing for my 60th.

That'd be a good "welcome to old" present!

Old 12-11-2006, 09:55 PM
GaryWayne
Cruiser

OK..I'm a Honda rider...I've had 28 bikes (3 Harley's, 3 Goldwings and almost everything in between). I've posted in here in the past (read it every day) so I am not a TROLL. I just wanted to say that its nice to see a post about Goldwings without alot of bashing. There is way to much of that goes on (especially about Harleys on other boards) and I don't care for it. While I've owned 3 Harley's I just don't get the soul and lifestyle thing. People like whatever they have for their own reasons and that is all that matters. I liked my Harleys and I liked my Wings. I went back to a sport touring bike (Honda ST1300..I've had about 10 sport/touring bikes) because that is what seems to work best for me. Are they better than a Harley or a Wing..no, they just do what I want better and fit me better. When I head out on a trip I tend not to come home for 5-7,000 miles and the ST bikes work great for me doing that. Like them or not the 1800 Wing rocks. It has tons of power and handles like a big sport bike. Even the 1500 Goldwing can't keep up with it on a twisty road. I think its sort of funny when people will come back and say 'I didn't buy my Harley for speed' yet they spend a ton of money trying to make it run faster. There is nothing wrong with that (I sure spent aot on the 3 I had and had fun doin it). Point is nobody should have to explain why they ride what they do. I sure don't look down on my 3 best friends and riding buddies (2 Harley's and a Bigdog) because they ride what they do and I sure don't think they look down on me because of what I ride. I do wish some of you would drop the 'they are just jealous and can't afford a Harley thing though). Most of the people I know on other brand bikes could afford anything they want, they just don't want a cruiser so that pretty much leaves Harley out of their choices.

Old 12-11-2006, 10:11 PM
Bighorse
Road Captain

LOL...What isn't faster then a harley? Maybe a bad running moped. and don't forget they have a reverse gear & a airbag!

Old 12-11-2006, 10:26 PM
StreetGlide2006
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: skater69

ORIGINAL: StreetGlide2006
I got within $2,200 of what I paid new 13 years ago. Not to bad.

Ride Safe,

Mike
How the heck did you do that? You must have kept them miles low! When I get my electra glide, if I stop riding my XX much......AFTER the honeymoon phase on the HD is over......then I'll just keep the Harley. But I doubt that will happen.....the 1100XX is still the greatest all around bike I've ever ridden.....but a longer distance 2 up riding machine....it is not.
Actually I had 89,000 miles on it. The picture above was just before it sold. The guy I sold it to entered it in a bike show a week after he bought it and took 1st place. That is how I got that much for it.

Ride Safe,

Mike

Old 12-11-2006, 10:52 PM
Mountainkowboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,010 Likes on 544 Posts

ORIGINAL: skater69

Bottom line with the Wings (especially the 1800) they are DAMN GOOD bikes. If you want to get aggressive and throw it around.....it will happily oblige. Also they are extremely comfortable touring bikes. Perhaps the most comfortable.
BUT....it's is more like a big appliance than a heart and soul ride like the Harleys and doesn't give that involved/connected feeling you get on the HD...in my opinion anyway.
And if that is important to YOU.....a Wing will probably leave you a bit empty after it's all said and done. And yes, the Harleys do look cooler.

That's why I'm keeping my Honda CBR1100XX when I get my Electra Glide.......my HD will be for cruising.
Played with a wing on the freeway with my 95" Ultra...got stomped!! Rode my friend CBR900RR, took it on the freeway, ran it through the gears till it felt good...135 mph...never let me ride this again!! I'll kill myself.

Old 12-11-2006, 11:11 PM
skater69
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: GaryWayne

OK..I'm a Honda rider...I've had 28 bikes (3 Harley's, 3 Goldwings and almost everything in between). I've posted in here in the past (read it every day) so I am not a TROLL. I just wanted to say that its nice to see a post about Goldwings without alot of bashing. There is way to much of that goes on (especially about Harleys on other boards) and I don't care for it. While I've owned 3 Harley's I just don't get the soul and lifestyle thing. People like whatever they have for their own reasons and that is all that matters. I liked my Harleys and I liked my Wings. I went back to a sport touring bike (Honda ST1300..I've had about 10 sport/touring bikes) because that is what seems to work best for me. Are they better than a Harley or a Wing..no, they just do what I want better and fit me better. When I head out on a trip I tend not to come home for 5-7,000 miles and the ST bikes work great for me doing that. Like them or not the 1800 Wing rocks. It has tons of power and handles like a big sport bike. Even the 1500 Goldwing can't keep up with it on a twisty road. I think its sort of funny when people will come back and say 'I didn't buy my Harley for speed' yet they spend a ton of money trying to make it run faster. There is nothing wrong with that (I sure spent aot on the 3 I had and had fun doin it). Point is nobody should have to explain why they ride what they do. I sure don't look down on my 3 best friends and riding buddies (2 Harley's and a Bigdog) because they ride what they do and I sure don't think they look down on me because of what I ride. I do wish some of you would drop the 'they are just jealous and can't afford a Harley thing though). Most of the people I know on other brand bikes could afford anything they want, they just don't want a cruiser so that pretty much leaves Harley out of their choices.
Yeah.....well I want a Harley and can't afford one! But I'm saving up.

Old 12-11-2006, 11:21 PM
jeepster09
Grand HDF Member
Received 7,789 Likes on 1,271 Posts

ORIGINAL: Cool Dog

....they're fast.

Was out for a little ride on Saturday and came up to one at a light. I gave the guy in the pastel colored snowmobile suit a wave whilst I gave a little laugh in my throat. The light changed and off we went. For a moment I wondered if perhaps my bike was dragging an anchor or something considering how fast he pulled away in second and third gear. Holy Crap!

Is this the norm or was this guy hiding something wicked beneath the plastic shell?
It's known as SIX cylinders.

Old 12-12-2006, 12:15 AM
Heritage07
Road Warrior
Received 88 Likes on 71 Posts

Eventually you will see the Vrod engine in a Glide. Harley will increase the displacement and it will be fast out of the box. I bet it happens by 08 or 09!

Old 12-12-2006, 01:18 AM
20FXST06
Road Captain

Let me tell you, one of the meanest bikes I ever rode was a 1997 Valkyrie 1500 with a Magna Charger blower on it. Jesus. That thing boasted 142 HP. The rear tire would spin so fast it hardly smoked. First time I rode it, scared the $hit outta me. But, I had to have it, bought that bike the next week. [sm=drooldude.gif]

Old 12-12-2006, 01:40 AM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want a fast, fat bike, get a Triumph Rocket3. Or for real giggles get the 502 Boss. And for the truly crazy, throw on some nitrous. That is 1200 lbs of fury there.

Quick Reply: Something I didn't know about Goldwings...