General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Something I didn't know about Goldwings...

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 04:36 PM
skater69
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Something I didn't know about Goldwings...

ORIGINAL: Denbo

No you were just dragging an anchor one of my friends just got a S/E roadking and finally we have someone in the group that can beat our friends goldwing.
And S/E Roadking can't touch an 1800 Wing....

Old 12-11-2006, 04:43 PM
dstockton
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Cav

This guy MAKES videos....of SPORTBIKES, from his Gold Wing camera bike on "The Dragon" section of Deal's Gap. If anyone with an SE ANYTHING other than MAYBE a Buell wants to race him up the Gap, I wanna' watch! My money will be on the 'Wing, in any case.

http://www.yellowwolfvideos.com/gallery.html

I was at the Gap in July with my sportbike buddies and saw this guy. Now he is fast for a Wing, damn fast, but he was holding up some of my more serious friends. Remember, he's on a 900 lb 115 hp bike with a touring suspension. Even a decently ridden 600cc, (400 lbs with 100 or so hp) sportbike would have him for lunch. Most of my friends ride liter bikes, 430 lbs with 150 to 170 hp. Thing is, approaching something that big, you got to pick your passes carefully. I'd be afraid to go around him on the gap. On Hiway 28 near the gap, we came on him head on. He was throwing sparks and running a bit wide in the turn we approached him on. Not over the line, but uncomfortably close to it.

I used to own a Wing, years ago. I wouldn't consider one now. I know they handle well, are fast and comfortable, but in my mind they no longer resemble a motorcycle with all the buttons, *****, etc. Even their current add campaign compares them to a Lear jet cockpit instead of to another motorcycle. I guess they attract the bells and whistle gadget guys, but somehow the last time I drove a Wing, I thought to myself, I might as well be in a car.

Old 12-11-2006, 04:52 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Gold Wings are seriously fast. Somewhere around is a "Ride Behind" video (great website, BTW) of TWO going up Deal's Gap scraping hard parts all the way, but making outrageous time for something in that weight class.

Screw with a 'Wing on any air-cooled Harley at your own peril.
You hit the nail on the head. There is no stock Harley TC even a 110" SE that can touch a 1800 cc Goldwing. I ride with a guy that has a 05 Wing and I've ridden it, the sucker is quick and handles much better than you would think looking at it. They look butt ugly but the dang things are quick, handle well and stop much better than a HD Touring bike.

Old 12-11-2006, 04:57 PM
skater69
Cruiser

I owned one and still like riding the EG classic more for chill out riding. The rumbling v-twin compared to the Wing's car like quiet 6 cylinder is much more exciting to me. What I really wish the HD tourers had was better BRAKES! The Wing's brakes do blow it away......one thing that scares me on the HDs is the inferior brakes.

Old 12-11-2006, 05:00 PM
Cav
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: dstockton

This guy MAKES videos....of SPORTBIKES, from his Gold Wing camera bike on "The Dragon" section of Deal's Gap. If anyone with an SE ANYTHING other than MAYBE a Buell wants to race him up the Gap, I wanna' watch! My money will be on the 'Wing, in any case.

http://www.yellowwolfvideos.com/gallery.html

I was at the Gap in July with my sportbike buddies and saw this guy. Now he is fast for a Wing, damn fast, but he was holding up some of my more serious friends. Remember, he's on a 900 lb 115 hp bike with a touring suspension. Even a decently ridden 600cc, (400 lbs with 100 or so hp) sportbike would have him for lunch. Most of my friends ride liter bikes, 430 lbs with 150 to 170 hp. Thing is, approaching something that big, you got to pick your passes carefully. I'd be afraid to go around him on the gap. On Hiway 28 near the gap, we came on him head on. He was throwing sparks and running a bit wide in the turn we approached him on. Not over the line, but uncomfortably close to it.

I used to own a Wing, years ago. I wouldn't consider one now. I know they handle well, are fast and comfortable, but in my mind they no longer resemble a motorcycle with all the buttons, *****, etc. Even their current add campaign compares them to a Lear jet cockpit instead of to another motorcycle. I guess they attract the bells and whistle gadget guys, but somehow the last time I drove a Wing, I thought to myself, I might as well be in a car.

Yeah, I'm sure even a 600cc class sportbike could take him in a shootout if competently ridden, the nature of the weight....but try it on anything air-cooled made in Milwaukee and you'll get your a$$ handed to you.
A VR Street Rod MIGHT be quicker, with it's reduced rake over the other 'Rods, but it still better be ridden with skill. Any of the others would take Valentino Rossi in the office to prevail.

Old 12-11-2006, 05:02 PM
Maniac
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: anubisss

It is a widely known fact to me (a former japanese bike rider) that most japanese bikes that I have owned will outrun my tc88 harley. I didn't buy my bike for speed, but rather to cruise. When I pull up to a light next to someone, it is not about who's faster anymore. I always let the other bike go, unless it is a sportster.[sm=biker.gif] Them goldwings bring to mind the Valkyrie, which I'm sure is quite fast as well. This thread makes me chuckle as whoever didn't know how fast a goldwing was, jsut realized there is a good reason people buy jap bikes...
Being an old Ninja ZX7 canyon carver I am well aware of the performance characteristics of Japanese motorcycles as I am sure that most others on this site are familiar as well. I have ridden bikes with horsepower values exceeding 110 to the rear wheel. All those bikes were built for that purpose and are visually apparent when you look at them. The styling hues of those bikes are reminiscent of the power they produce.

The Wing on the other hand appears more like a luxury liner. Massive and heavy. Now I knew that they had large displacement engines, but my inclination was that the power was used more for towing and heavy cargo and geared accordingly. I had no idea that they could move as fast as they do.

If this post appears to be placed in an effort to state the obvious, then I hereby succumb to the master of such drivel and relinquish the title back to its rightful proprietor.

Old 12-11-2006, 05:09 PM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: skater69

ORIGINAL: gunrunner

4 more cyls and over 200 cc bigger motor. should be no surprise
The Wing's are flat 6 cylinder-1800ccs since 2001. Before that 1500cc 6 cylinders......Valkyrie's have this engine as well.
Did they drop the valkerie? I loved that bike.. That thing was a big heavy chrome beast but it will still get up and go.. I'd guess the goldwings by far out-handle them though. For a non-cruiser tour-bike, I'd opt for the GW.. It is to tourbikes, what HD is to cruisers. An RV on two wheels. hehe All it needs is a espresso dispenser while you're discussing knowing about good blue-plate diners in the next town, talking through the little fuzzy microphones.

Old 12-11-2006, 05:11 PM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,415 Posts

ORIGINAL: skater69

ORIGINAL: gunrunner

4 more cyls and over 200 cc bigger motor. should be no surprise

The Wing's are flat 6 cylinder-1800ccs since 2001. Before that 1500cc 6 cylinders......Valkyrie's have this engine as well.
That's what gunrunner was saying, 4 more cylinders, meaning 6 total. My father in law has a 1500cc GW, it's pretty nice, just not my thing (the onboard espresso machine just turned me off to it!)

As anubisss said, I didn't buy my bike to set any speed records, I bought it enjoy riding! Hearing a nice throaty sound coming out the pipes, feeling the steady throb of the motor at speed, that's living!

Old 12-11-2006, 05:17 PM
SUPER01
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A friend of mine has a 1500 Goldwing I think it's a 1989? Anyway, this summer while riding through some hills and curves I was amazed at how fast he would take some of the curves, I was keeping up without a problem but it suprised me how well it handled for something that big along with the rider who is about 6'-4" and around 300# and a passenger.
He has a custom paint job on it so his attracts as much attention as an Harley does. He had owned Harleys in the past but he won't ever go back he said.

Old 12-11-2006, 05:21 PM
Maniac
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: ingenue

I worked an intersection in the North Texas Toy Run from American Honda on Saturday.

There is NO WAY to keep up with Wings once they take off, 'specially when you're riding a Honda Magna 750.

I could have joined the run as it passed, but I was so blasted cold I just went home and took a long, hot shower.

Pretty wimpy, huh?
Yeah, pretty wimpy.... <J/K>

Quick Reply: Something I didn't know about Goldwings...