General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Something I didn't know about Goldwings...

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 04:12 PM
Denbo
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Something I didn't know about Goldwings...

No you were just dragging an anchor one of my friends just got a S/E roadking and finally we have someone in the group that can beat our friends goldwing.

Old 12-11-2006, 04:13 PM
Alaska Bobber
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep might be faster, but you still look like a complete retard. Go park next to him at the bar, and see who's bike gets more attention.

Old 12-11-2006, 04:17 PM
Cav
Road Warrior

Gold Wings are seriously fast. Somewhere around is a "Ride Behind" video (great website, BTW) of TWO going up Deal's Gap scraping hard parts all the way, but making outrageous time for something in that weight class.

Screw with a 'Wing on any air-cooled Harley at your own peril.

Old 12-11-2006, 04:20 PM
ingenue
Road Captain

I worked an intersection in the North Texas Toy Run from American Honda on Saturday.

There is NO WAY to keep up with Wings once they take off, 'specially when you're riding a Honda Magna 750.

I could have joined the run as it passed, but I was so blasted cold I just went home and took a long, hot shower.

Pretty wimpy, huh?

Old 12-11-2006, 04:21 PM
skater69
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: SquishFace

ORIGINAL: Cool Dog
Is this the norm or was this guy hiding something wicked beneath the plastic shell?
Yeah, the 1800's will outrun a Lamborghini Diablo in the 1/4 mile. (Believe it or not)
I had a 2004 Wing.....put 34K mi on it. Yes, it's quick.....and there's almost NOTHING you can do aftermarket to make it quicker and 99.9% of Wing owners don't do any performance mods. I had aftermarket slip-ons that just made it sound better. It's fast out of the box....but I now ride a cbr1100XX....the Wing felt like a snail compared to the XX. But the Wing REALLY needs a 6th gear IMO. It's geared very low...1st gear is almost non-existant. 5th comes quick and the bike is spinning fairly high at 85mph.....it still can fly at that speed but an real overdrive would be much better on that bike.

Wing's are great bikes but it's so smooth....it's a bit boring. No thumping v-twin involvement on a Wing. Some like that.......I personally don't so much.
But if you thing HD's have torque......try a Wing.......it's a torque MONSTER.

And a Diablo is still faster.........It will do a 12.0 119mph 1/4 mi.....Wing is more like mid 12's and under 110mph but not too far off.

Old 12-11-2006, 04:23 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

ORIGINAL: Milt
Member the 903? I think a Z-1? Couple my buddies had those Kaws in the 70's One of their first 4 strokes,they'd do 11 sec flat right out a the box.
Z-1 is right, and they were fast. But I liked the earlier 60's 750 H2's better, for the styling. The 3 cylinder 2 cycle engine in the light weight frame could be a handfull if you weren't careful. Tire, brake, and suspension technology just wasn't up to coping with the power output of the engines. Its little brother the 500 H1 was even worse. One magazine wrote that you needed to be nearly a professional race rider to take full advantage of the engines power because the frame had about 15 hinges in the middle.
The new (then) EPA rules killed those old 2 cycle smokers. I can't imagine what kind of power inprovments would have been possible with 30 plus years of development time and todays electronic engine controls. Make a V-Max sit up and take notice.

Old 12-11-2006, 04:23 PM
skater69
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Alaska Bobber

Yep might be faster, but you still look like a complete retard. Go park next to him at the bar, and see who's bike gets more attention.
Now that's what's MOST important........not.

Old 12-11-2006, 04:26 PM
skater69
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: gunrunner

4 more cyls and over 200 cc bigger motor. should be no surprise

The Wing's are flat 6 cylinder-1800ccs since 2001. Before that 1500cc 6 cylinders......Valkyrie's have this engine as well.

Old 12-11-2006, 04:30 PM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: anubisss
It is a widely known fact to me (a former japanese bike rider) that most japanese bikes that I have owned will outrun my tc88 harley. I didn't buy my bike for speed, but rather to cruise.
How fast do you NEED to go? My StreetBob will outrun my Deadwood, and I know from experience that my Deadwood will wheelie when holeshotted (interesting on a 750lb+ bike). My Outlaw is brutal fast, if I chose to open it up. But why, other than "I can".

Old 12-11-2006, 04:31 PM
Cav
Road Warrior

This guy MAKES videos....of SPORTBIKES, from his Gold Wing camera bike on "The Dragon" section of Deal's Gap. If anyone with an SE ANYTHING other than MAYBE a Buell wants to race him up the Gap, I wanna' watch! My money will be on the 'Wing, in any case.

http://www.yellowwolfvideos.com/gallery.html

Quick Reply: Something I didn't know about Goldwings...