General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MMI/UTI School?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 11:09 PM
MadMartigan
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MMI/UTI School?

I am new to riding and recently purchased my 2011 Iron 883. I have absolutely fallen in love with riding and have found a new lifelong passion.

That said, I have a full-time career and have no interest in getting work in the auto technician field, however want a way to learn about motorcycle repair form the ground up. I have no mechanical background and do not even know how to change my oil. Is MMI a good option for someone like me, or do you recommend a more economic solution?

Old 01-11-2012, 11:11 PM
PhD
Advanced

MMI is a full-time deal. It's not something you do on evenings and weekends.

Old 01-11-2012, 11:29 PM
purpledeuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 377 Posts

Get a service manual and a good set of tools

Old 01-11-2012, 11:44 PM
mglax13
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by purpledeuce
Get a service manual and a good set of tools
+1. I think if you start with your bike and work on some small things initially (like bolting on some basic aesthetic parts), then work up to an oil change, maybe install an exhaust, and air cleaner, etc, and before you know it, you'll be installing cams and doing your own 883-1200 conversion.

That service manual is really like a how-to guide, and there's always the fine and knowledgeable folks on here to answer your questions.

Go to Sears and get yourself one of the basic like 100 pc craftsman tool sets, make sure you have hex and torx bits for your ratchet (at least I know on the big twins, they're heavily used, I'd have to imagine the same for the sporty's), and add on to your tools as the need comes up.

A year and a half ago, I hd never working on a bike in my life. By the end of the spring, I'll be installing cams, I'm not technical wizard.

YOU CAN DO IT! (in the Rob Schneider voice from Waterboy)

Old 01-11-2012, 11:52 PM
MadMartigan
6th Gear

Originally Posted by mglax13
+1. I think if you start with your bike and work on some small things initially (like bolting on some basic aesthetic parts), then work up to an oil change, maybe install an exhaust, and air cleaner, etc, and before you know it, you'll be installing cams and doing your own 883-1200 conversion.

That service manual is really like a how-to guide, and there's always the fine and knowledgeable folks on here to answer your questions.

Go to Sears and get yourself one of the basic like 100 pc craftsman tool sets, make sure you have hex and torx bits for your ratchet (at least I know on the big twins, they're heavily used, I'd have to imagine the same for the sporty's), and add on to your tools as the need comes up.

A year and a half ago, I hd never working on a bike in my life. By the end of the spring, I'll be installing cams, I'm not technical wizard.

YOU CAN DO IT! (in the Rob Schneider voice from Waterboy)
Thanks, thats ver encouraging! I hope your right since I couldn't even change my grips last Saturday. I looked for the details in the manual for removing the throttle cables and could not even find that. Ether way, I'll follow your advice.

Old 01-12-2012, 12:10 AM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't forget to check out YouTube for how-to videos.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:53 AM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by MadMartigan
Thanks, thats ver encouraging! I hope your right since I couldn't even change my grips last Saturday. I looked for the details in the manual for removing the throttle cables and could not even find that. Ether way, I'll follow your advice.
I don't know what manual you were looking in, but the one you need is the Harley SERVICE manual. It will cost you a few bucks, but it's worth every penny. It will show you how to remove and replace just about everything on your bike. The directions are easy to follow. The OWNERS manual isn't much help at all, but the service manual will show you how to do everything you may want to try and tackle including those throttle cables. It's like the bible for your bike.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:29 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

The tuition would be very expensive just for learning how to work on your bike!

Old 01-12-2012, 09:04 AM
wahlumsurfer
Road Master

Originally Posted by 1flhtk4me
The tuition would be very expensive just for learning how to work on your bike!
This......

You could completely bork your bike 2-3 and maybe 4 times and buy a new one each time with the cost of the tuition alone.

Old 01-12-2012, 09:31 AM
mc1960
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also like the Fix Your Hog DVDs along with the service manual

Quick Reply: MMI/UTI School?