General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adventure Riding - Where have you been on a Harley?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 09:46 AM
itsaw0rkinpr0gre$$
"Seeker of Freedom"
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Adventure Riding - Where have you been on a Harley?

I was doing some web surfing and ran across some "adventure riding" forums with some very cool ride reports around the world. Most were on some dual sport type of bike, but a few were on a panhead or sporty. It got me to wondering where I could really go on my Street Glide.

Where have you went on a Harley? What Harley? What kinds of roads? Why don't we have an Adventure Rider section on this forum?

Here is an interesting trip I ran across as an exmaple:
Can a Harley make it to Magadan?
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=681994

Old 01-11-2012, 09:50 AM
baust55
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Seemed like an adventchure the first few times i took a 2000 or 3000 mile trips across deserts and mountain passes of america on my shovelhead 25 years ago.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:59 AM
itsaw0rkinpr0gre$$
"Seeker of Freedom"
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by baust55
Seemed like an adventchure the first few times i took a 2000 or 3000 mile trips across deserts and mountain passes of america on my shovelhead 25 years ago.

I suspect it was a great adventure. I took a 3000 mile trip across america and up into the mountains, but it was more of a tour than adventure. It was awesome saw lots of backroads and beautiful country. So when does it become an adventure versus a simple touring vacation?

Old 01-11-2012, 10:04 AM
56tbird
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by itsaw0rkinpr0gre$$
I was doing some web surfing and ran across some "adventure riding" forums with some very cool ride reports around the world. Most were on some dual sport type of bike, but a few were on a panhead or sporty. It got me to wondering where I could really go on my Street Glide.

Where have you went on a Harley? What Harley? What kinds of roads? Why don't we have an Adventure Rider section on this forum?

Here is an interesting trip I ran across as an exmaple:
Can a Harley make it to Magadan?
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=681994
Probably because the definition of adventure riding I have seen involves plenty of off-road riding...something that a bike like a Kawi KLR650 would do much better than a Harley of any type, except maybe a properly set up sportster. With that said, I have seen Ultra classics do the Dalton Highway all the way up to Prudoe Bay, but I bet those riders are still cleaning the dirt, clay and road oil off of their bikes.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:07 AM
Ultrathunder
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OKC to ToK and Valdez Alaska , and back, 8600 miles in 13 days. On a 2009 Ultra Classic

Old 01-11-2012, 10:24 AM
SgtSkiddz
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Never on a Harley. Did a few Dual Sport events down in South Texas. I would recomend it to anybody. But you damn sure wouldn't want to take any modern Harleys where we would go on those rides. Saw a couple of guys on Sprints and the like while there.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:46 AM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Gravel, dirt roads, tops of mountains, salt flats, backwoods of Arkansas. Through pastures to go fishing. The best places are off the beaten path.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:47 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,254 Likes on 4,783 Posts

I guess the Alcan was a bit of an adventure when I did it. I was competing in an endurance ride so not a lot of sight seeing. Just hard riding. Did it on my 05 Springer Classic.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:02 PM
LA VIC
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

I'm looking at getting a second bike now. It'll likely be a BMW R1200GS Adventure. It seems the older I get the more I want to see of our great country. For that I need a bike that will tour and survive when the pavement ends. I'm afraid if I don't do it now I'll end up being one of those guys that talks about all the things they wish they'd done. In my old age I'd rather babble about what I actually did.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:10 PM
cromagnon
Grand HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

I rode from Danbury CT to Boston last summer in monsoon like weather with no rain gear. Thunderstorm after thunderstorm with torrents of rain the whole way. That was an adventure. After about 100 miles I was not thinking I was going to die anymore .....

Quick Reply: Adventure Riding - Where have you been on a Harley?