Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adventure Riding - Where have you been on a Harley?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 02:30 PM
10ring
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I rode all the way to the BMW dealer, where I purchased a R1200GS

Old 01-11-2012, 11:12 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

My last long ride was 34 days, 12K miles on my Road King Custom with my son on his Softail Deluxe. We rode round trip between south Texas to the arctic circle. Over 300 miles in rain and mud the day to the circle. So bad that two guys on BMW R1200GS's turned around at the Yukon crossing. The Harleys continued on successfully. Also rode the Cassier highway in the rain, paved and mud in the mountains.

I believe any Harley will take you just about anywhere you have the ***** to ride it. Have ridden Sportsters, a shovel, an evo and this TC all over the Rockies and western deserts with no problems.

Here is a guy an a Road King Classic riding beyond where most dual sport riders/bikes are willing and able to go: www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=603979

Not only will a Harley get you there, it will get you there in more comfort and with more swagger.

Ride safe.

Attached Thumbnails Adventure Riding - Where have you been on a Harley?-imgp0127.jpg   Adventure Riding - Where have you been on a Harley?-imgp0134.jpg  

Last edited by txfxstrider; 01-11-2012 at 11:22 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:06 AM
clicker01
Road Warrior

It appears my fear of shredding a belt by getting a pebble caught between the belt and pulley is unfounded... Still, I just can't see putting my Harley through that. I'm in the dual sport camp; just a matter of time (and money.)

Old 01-12-2012, 12:12 AM
str8jacket
Tourer

North Cascade mountains. Twisty roads through mountain passes up to 7000 ft, primitive campgrounds, adventures galore. Just watch out for bears.

Old 01-12-2012, 12:50 AM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

I forgot to mention in my earlier post on this thread that if you want to read about real true Adventure Riding, and read it on this site, then look up IronAss's report on his first Hoka Hey run. He's the man.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:28 AM
Stubby3492
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 56tbird
Probably because the definition of adventure riding I have seen involves plenty of off-road riding...something that a bike like a Kawi KLR650 would do much better than a Harley of any type, except maybe a properly set up sportster. With that said, I have seen Ultra classics do the Dalton Highway all the way up to Prudoe Bay, but I bet those riders are still cleaning the dirt, clay and road oil off of their bikes.
I hear ya. That's why my next bike is going to be a KLR650. I'll still keep my Harley, but I want a KLR as well. I would probably do a lot of touring on it.
They're maybe not as fast or as comfortable as a Harley, but they're like a pack mule and they will get you there. Some guys do Around the World trips on these.
They are simple to fix, single cylinder, carbureted and they are quite in-expensive. You can buy a new one for under $6,000, and good used ones for 2 to 3 grand.

I like the idea of not having to stick to the road, and can take off across the desert to see what's over the hill.

-

Old 01-12-2012, 05:55 AM
snakeinthegrass
Road Master

Only RTW (Round The World) Doug Wothke out of Alabama has done the impossible on a Harley(s). A true hard core adventure rider. Harley's are not made for dual sport. I personnaly have compensated for that shortcoming by purchasing a 2007 Suzuki DR650se. It is sitting in my garage awaiting all the farkles to make it a true dual sport bike. If you want to ride in the dirt, get a dual sport bike, i.e. KTM, BMW, Zook or Yamaha. If you read the journals on advrider.com you will be amazed at what some of these people ride around the world or long distances. Kind of makes this cruiser guy look a little woosy. lol

Old 01-12-2012, 07:34 AM
CLYDE60
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

A few years ago we did the circle tour with another couple around lake superior two up and loaded down. we were in the U.P. going to copper harbor and missed a detor sign and found a bridge out. Well not wanting to back track we took what we call a B-grade road around here,dirt,rock & narrow, after about 6mi we met a local (had to pull off into the trees to let them by) they said we were on the right road just another 10mi. Back tracking would be 60mi. And not to get off on any of the narrow roads (What cow paths ?) When we pulled into a gas station at copper harbor you couldn"t tell what color our bikes, There were some other bikes there, they came over to see where we had been, One of them saw the 110 badge on my air cleaner and said "Is this a f*&#kin CVO Ultra" I told him yea it's a two month old '08 They couldn't believe we would take our bikes down roads like that. Hell I buy'em to ride, good times and fun stories after.

Old 01-12-2012, 01:12 PM
10ring
Road Captain

Originally Posted by txfxstrider
...... So bad that two guys on BMW R1200GS's turned around at the Yukon crossing. The Harleys continued on successfully. ........
All Harley riders know that it is really the determination of the rider, and not the bike itself. I'll bet that was a great trip!

Old 01-12-2012, 01:19 PM
K00LJerk
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe we just got soft or the bikes got too damn heavy, when Harley-Davidson was new there were no interstates no state highways not even paved roads. Guess the first Harley riders were adventure riders by default. Sorry KTM,KLR,BMW etc... Harleys were probably there first.

Quick Reply: Adventure Riding - Where have you been on a Harley?