General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who Gets the Insurance Check?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 07:25 PM
PhD
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who Gets the Insurance Check?

Me or the repair shop? It's a third-party claim from the accident I've been beating to death in the other thread.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:06 PM
xwhyz1959
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,722 Likes on 521 Posts

It should be up to you. I've had 2 claims so far. The first was made out to the Dealer AND me. Reason being I believe is so that the funds are guaranted to be spent on the repair of the bike. My second claim I stated that I wanted the Dealer left out of it since I was going to perform all my own repairs, in which case the check was made out to me only.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:09 PM
dbc58
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you own the bike you do. If the bank has a stake the repair shop.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:25 PM
Toypuller
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,268 Likes on 1,582 Posts

The shop.

The shop will do an estimate and relay that to the insurance company's appraiser. The appraiser will most likely agree with that cost.

Then if there are supplemental costs (there will be) the shop will relay those to the insurance company through their appraiser. It will get paid with little hassle.

If you have the check sent to you, it will come attatched with a "Paid in Full" notation and it will be a battle to get it paid.

Save yourself the stress and hassle and get the bike fixed without ever touching that check.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:30 PM
Sgt. Fury
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dbc58
If you own the bike you do. If the bank has a stake the repair shop.
What he said. Whoever actually owns the bike, (you if you bought it outright, or whatever financial institution that gave you a loan if you financed) gets the check and gets to decide if and who fixes it.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:09 PM
PhD
Advanced

Originally Posted by Sgt. Fury
What he said. Whoever actually owns the bike, (you if you bought it outright, or whatever financial institution that gave you a loan if you financed) gets the check and gets to decide if and who fixes it.
I know that is the case if I turned it in to my own insurance, but are you sure it is the case when the insurance belongs to the other driver?

Old 01-09-2012, 10:53 PM
IMG2
Cruiser

Like the other guys have said, it depends on who legally owns the bike, but it really doesn't make any difference. If the shop has the bike and it's done and the check is made out to you, my guess is the shop won't give you the bike until you give them the check. The nice thing about having the check made out to you and then you paying the shop is you have some leverage for any little issues that may turn up at delivery.

Old 01-10-2012, 12:44 AM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

if you get the check and other stuff pops up, you have to pay it.. if they get the check, and need something else, they have to deal with the ins company..

Old 01-10-2012, 03:13 AM
Sgt. Fury
Tourer

Originally Posted by PhD
I know that is the case if I turned it in to my own insurance, but are you sure it is the case when the insurance belongs to the other driver?
doesn't matter on which insurance company is paying.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:48 AM
kyleplusitunes
Road Master

The better question is, why is this on your list of concerns? The bike will be repaired, I wouldn't let anyone accept any check until you see the finished bike, who know what things were missed in the appraisal

Quick Reply: Who Gets the Insurance Check?