General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cali Freeways?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 02:18 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

The only way to learn is to do it. Ride at a speed that makes you comfortable and if someone gets behind you move over and let them by. I have been splitting for 15 years and been pulled over once in that time for "splitting to fast." the officer let me and my buddy go after a stern warning and letting us know the real law on splitting. +10 MPH faster than traffic moving is the law. Take your time, it is all about becoming comfortable. Don't let others rush you. And remember if someone decides to change lanes in or out of the lanes where they are not supposed to or even where they are the last thing they are looking for is a motorcycle right next to them. Of all the accidents I have had over the years none has ever been from lane splitting and I split daily for 10 years all day long working as a motorcycle messenger. That is a lot of miles.

Drew

Old 01-10-2012, 02:25 PM
billk
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like to keep splitting in 1st or 2nd gear, when traffic is backed up. As you pass others you will find "open spaces" between vehicles, where you can then scoot back into your preferred lane. Lots of good advice from others...but, most importantly, make sure that you do not begin to split until you make sure that you are not pulling out in front of someone else who is splitting...some come up pretty fast, including CHP doing the same thing.

Old 01-10-2012, 03:12 PM
RoaringRigid
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,868 Likes on 1,020 Posts

I do it all the time make sure you are comfortable and don't hesitate. I try to only do it in stopped traffic. I'll split at high way speeds if someone is in my way but for the long 2-3 mile split I usually only do it when the cages are stopped. Too many idiots darting to and from lanes.

Always watch for a lane cross over if one lane is slowing down that is when people think oh they are still moving I want to be in that lane.

And if you see someone looking at you in side mirror be careful they tend to veer towards you.

Old 01-10-2012, 03:13 PM
RoaringRigid
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,868 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by anubisss
The only way to learn is to do it. Ride at a speed that makes you comfortable and if someone gets behind you move over and let them by. I have been splitting for 15 years and been pulled over once in that time for "splitting to fast." the officer let me and my buddy go after a stern warning and letting us know the real law on splitting. +10 MPH faster than traffic moving is the law. Take your time, it is all about becoming comfortable. Don't let others rush you. And remember if someone decides to change lanes in or out of the lanes where they are not supposed to or even where they are the last thing they are looking for is a motorcycle right next to them. Of all the accidents I have had over the years none has ever been from lane splitting and I split daily for 10 years all day long working as a motorcycle messenger. That is a lot of miles.

Drew
DAMN that is a nice bike you got there

Old 01-10-2012, 03:41 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

This would be Suicidal to try in our state..

Old 01-10-2012, 04:05 PM
dbc58
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by anubisss
+10 MPH faster than traffic moving is the law.
Drew
I heard that and had a friend who got a ticket for it but I can't find it in the CA vehicle code. Is it a law or just a judgement from the CHP?

Old 01-10-2012, 06:49 PM
SwitchHD
Road Captain
Default Good Advice

Originally Posted by CEJohnson21
Don't do it until your ready. I'll do it tomorrow on the way to work.
Thanks, good advice, passed a couple cages coming home this afternoon--Makes the ride home a lot more fun!

Old 01-10-2012, 06:52 PM
SwitchHD
Road Captain
Default Splitting

Originally Posted by billk
I like to keep splitting in 1st or 2nd gear, when traffic is backed up. As you pass others you will find "open spaces" between vehicles, where you can then scoot back into your preferred lane. Lots of good advice from others...but, most importantly, make sure that you do not begin to split until you make sure that you are not pulling out in front of someone else who is splitting...some come up pretty fast, including CHP doing the same thing.
Thanks for the good advice, I think you're right, there's no need to split when everyone's moving down the diamond at 70 mph and I could go around them doing 80 mph. But, in a.m. commuting traffic, that's a different story. Thanks again.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:59 PM
SwitchHD
Road Captain
Default Thanks

Originally Posted by RoaringRigid
DAMN that is a nice bike you got there
Thanks for great advice Drew-- You make some really good points.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:12 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SwitchHD
Thanks, these are good tips. I thought about following a CHP (but not too close!) because I figure, Hey here's a guy who must know what he's doing.
I've done that before. I even had one signal me to follow him as he was splitting one day. One tip that I will give you is to be careful of the BOTS DOTS when splitting as they will sometimes throw you off course a little bit. Not much but if it's a tight squeeze it might make a difference.

Quick Reply: Cali Freeways?