General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

? About which wipe on wipe off wax you like best.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 07:16 AM
ricerocket71
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have used Mothers California Gold, keeps a nice shine and always looks good.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:25 AM
kzoo
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Meguiar's G17516 Ultimate Quik Wax

When I have time to clean it

Old 01-10-2012, 07:26 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member

Received 329 Likes on 224 Posts

Turtles Hard Shell every couple months and Meguires detail spray in between but I would rather get Adams detail spray when I can get it, used it on my show car for years and it's the best.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:53 AM
WS6 Formula
Stellar HDF Member
Received 249 Likes on 166 Posts

Zaino, can't beat a finish that shines as good as glass: http://www.zainostore.com/

Originally Posted by WS6 Formula
The photo below that was used in the above poster is what sold me on Zaino, can't beat a finish that shines as good as glass. I've been using it on all my vehicles for the past ten years, first started using it on my WS6 Formula (photo below) after reading a lot of good reviews on some automotive forums. http://www.zainostore.com/

Here's a couple more black cars from Zaino's website:

Just wanted to say thanks and show you how your products changed our car (the paint is 17 years old).

I haven't had any problems with Simple Green staining bare aluminum, but I would advise that what ever you use, only use it on a cold engine. The new formulated Extreme Simple Green I haven't used yet , but I plan on getting for future use, mainly because it is used and monitored on aircraft.

I've been using the regular Simple Green on the rims, spokes, hubs, brakes, and engine, Bleach White on the tires. Then rinse and wash the whole bike with Z-7 Show Car Wash followed by a rinse and a leaf blower, then CD2 Engine Detailer on the black portion of the engine, Z-8 Grand Finale Spray Seal on the paint and chrome, and Z-16 Perfect Tire Gloss on the sidewalls.

The "Z" products above are from Zaino, I've been using Zaino for the past nine years with excellent results. Here's some photos from Zaino's customers.
http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...ory_Code=Zaino
Here's some photos of my "experience" with Simple Green and the other products I mentioned above that I use on my "own" vehicles............But keep in mind that I don't wash or detail bikes and cars for a living.

19,000 miles Before

After, sprayed Simple Green on everything including painted fender wells, rinsed with tap water, used my non-sand blowing leaf blower to dry it off, applied CD2 Engine Detailer.

Before, new, stock.

After, nine years and a 100,000 miles, sprayed Simple Green on everything including painted fender wells and the paint under the hood on a regular basis. Didn't use any CD2 Engine Detailer here like above.

Z-7 Show Car Wash info:
http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...ory_Code=Zaino

Old 01-10-2012, 08:42 AM
Nocturnalnature
Road Master

I got two full bottles of Zaino sitting in the storage tub. Thought it was overpriced and streaked like all hell unless you really worked at it.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:28 AM
dpk20x
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nocturnalnature
I got two full bottles of Zaino sitting in the storage tub. Thought it was overpriced and streaked like all hell unless you really worked at it.
Hmmmm maybe you were putting it on too thick?? Try spraying it off with some isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol after it's dried ... takes all the polish off

Old 01-10-2012, 12:27 PM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Pumba11
I am very happy with Turtle Wax ICE on my black bike. Also use Lemon Pledge between waxes.
I used TW Ice on my black jetta and it streaks big time and that's no matter how thick or thin the coat of paste is. I went back to Megiuars.

Zaino, can't beat a finish that shines as good as glass: http://www.zainostore.com/
And those cars would have looked like **** if they wouldn't have been prepped and had amazingly immaculate paint.

http://www.autogeek.net/duragloss-to...ce-polish.html

I use duragloss as a sealant and wax on top and duragloss my stuff every 3-6 months with regular washing and waxing in between.

The biggest issue is prep and after care. Don't wash your car or bike with a detergent that'll strip it down to the paint finish unless you're absolutely going for a top to bottom detail. Using dish soap vs. a soap made for an auto will take most everything off.

Next you're going to want a good mitt and to use the two bucket method. A crappy mitt or a sponge or rag can trap particles which cause swirls and very minor scratches. Using the same bucket to soap and rinse will have your water full of these particles. You want to be able to have one bucket for soap and one for rinsing before resoaping so you keep your wash mitt as clean as possible.

After that, you're going to want to clay bar. This will help remove particles that are actually imbedded in the paint.

Then you can toss the sealant on and then wax after that.

Since it's not a car, it won't take 3 hours to do and this will probably get you as good a shine as you're going to get short or polishing your paint job and starting from the beginning of your list. If you have swirls, that's about the only thing that will actually get rid of them instead of attempting to hide them.

Old 01-10-2012, 12:30 PM
Amish gone bad
Tourer

Mostly the Wizard line for everything from polish to bug release. Just had a lot of luck with it and its fast stuff.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:34 PM
beastie
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Village Idiot™
I used TW Ice on my black jetta and it streaks big time and that's no matter how thick or thin the coat of paste is. I went back to Megiuars.

And those cars would have looked like **** if they wouldn't have been prepped and had amazingly immaculate paint.

http://www.autogeek.net/duragloss-to...ce-polish.html

I use duragloss as a sealant and wax on top and duragloss my stuff every 3-6 months with regular washing and waxing in between.

The biggest issue is prep and after care. Don't wash your car or bike with a detergent that'll strip it down to the paint finish unless you're absolutely going for a top to bottom detail. Using dish soap vs. a soap made for an auto will take most everything off.

Next you're going to want a good mitt and to use the two bucket method. A crappy mitt or a sponge or rag can trap particles which cause swirls and very minor scratches. Using the same bucket to soap and rinse will have your water full of these particles. You want to be able to have one bucket for soap and one for rinsing before resoaping so you keep your wash mitt as clean as possible.

After that, you're going to want to clay bar. This will help remove particles that are actually imbedded in the paint.

Then you can toss the sealant on and then wax after that.

Since it's not a car, it won't take 3 hours to do and this will probably get you as good a shine as you're going to get short or polishing your paint job and starting from the beginning of your list. If you have swirls, that's about the only thing that will actually get rid of them instead of attempting to hide them.
If you use Duragloss Aquawax, try this, what I call the "spit shine" method (usually used for paste waxes but works for this spray wax). Spray equal amounts of Duragloss QD and Aquawax on the paint. Using microfiber towel, wipe 1, 2 and 3 times (brace yourself). First 2 passes are grabby, the 3rd one is very slippery. Enjoy!!!

I don't care much for the Zaino look because it is hyper-reflective. Almost see more reflections of the surroundings than the color of the bike. Not saying its a bad wax, it's actually very good. I prefer Klasse and Duragloss products. Both are similar in appearance. Very glossy but not to the same degree as Zaino but the color comes thru nicely.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:57 PM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Mequires High Tech Yellow!

Quick Reply: ? About which wipe on wipe off wax you like best.