General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats in your tool kit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 10:23 AM
bombdogg
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Whats in your tool kit?

I was just wondering what people have in there tool kits? I need to put one together and this is my first bike (03 Dyna Low Rider) so I dont know what all I should have in it. I did search the forum but to my surprise did not find a thread with what should be in it.
Cheers
Dan

Old 01-09-2012, 10:49 AM
Slickster63
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

after looking to do my own ... I went with this. Might cost more, but sure made it easy

http://www.cruztools.com/products/kitshd.html

Old 01-09-2012, 10:52 AM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Do you travel long distances and do you think you will be completing something other than minor repairs or tightening on the road? What is your mechanical ability?

If all minor and local, a crescent wrench, vice grips, wire ties, slot and phillips screwdriver, and a leatherman.

If a long way from home and more in depth repairs, a basic craftsman socket set of metric and sae. (less than $200) set of torx bits, set of allen wrench bits, a few screwdrivers, flashlight, wire ties, vice grips, leatherman, tire plug kit, air compressor.

The tools thread comes up a lot. In the past I've always taken the time to list out tools I carry etc. In my case it is an extensive list.

I've thought about this question a lot recently I believe there is a more correct answer though.

The answer is, take the tools that you know how to use and, can and will use on the side of the road or motel parking lot.

For some of us that means a lot of tools. We have the experience to wrench on our bikes whenever needed.

For others, that is not the case. It isn't a bad thing. I know peope that are not inclined or able to do the most simple of tasks on their bike when it is parked in their garage. It makes no sense for them to load up $400 worth and 30 pounds of tools they don't know how to use repairing their bike.

If you are comfortable tearing into the engine while the bike sits outside your tent, take the tools you feel you need to be comfortable in your travels. if your mechanical ability is limited to dialing a cell phone and providing a credit card number, that is cool too, your list of what to pack is much simpler.

If you are asking what tools to take, my guess is you are not wrenching on your bike a lot yourself, so don't take tools to do a repair you can't complete without your shop manual. If you do all your own wrenching, you can make a run through your tool boxes and know what you need to take on a trip to be covered.

Whichever camp you fall into is fine. It isn't good or bad. Just take what you need and feel competent to use.

Just a thought.

(and if you still want the list I carry on long trips, just ask)

Old 01-09-2012, 11:00 AM
katobird
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Basics...
Harley kit, Leatherman,ty wraps, wrenches and sockets 1/4" to 3/4"
screwdrivers,Torx tips,light bulb...other minor things..
The "big kit" only goes with me on long trips..

Local........Harley kit and ty wraps

Old 01-09-2012, 11:45 AM
piper59
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,230 Likes on 626 Posts

Look at windzone tools,they make bike tool kits & I've had mine for 10 yrs.Good tools at a descent price.

Old 01-09-2012, 11:58 AM
heybaylor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 144 Likes on 84 Posts

device to get seat off, other than that credit card, and cellphone

Old 01-09-2012, 12:01 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,041 Likes on 17,930 Posts

Never leave home without a properly stocked kit .

Old 01-09-2012, 12:23 PM
Amish gone bad
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK -- not in the kit but since this is your first bike -------- get a compressor for your garage. Tire pressure really is critical and can drop without warning, reason or rhyme and staying on top of it is a lot easier if you can generate your own pressure at will. And get a tire gauge (or several) you like and can use easily. Keep one in your jacket, saddlebags, taped under your seat and every other place you can think of. If you have to use the air station at the local Sheetz or BP DO NOT EVEN EVER trust their gauge.

<<This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x820.>>

ROFL!!!! Out of respect for Twizted I won't ask what direction it was resized.

Old 01-09-2012, 01:18 PM
Blackfly
Road Master
Received 40 Likes on 7 Posts

HAHA TwiZted you beat me to it. No user sevicable parts on my bike.

Old 01-09-2012, 01:39 PM
BiggDogg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker

Never leave home without a properly stocked kit .

Your tool kit looks to be expired

Quick Reply: Whats in your tool kit?