General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats in your tool kit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 01:56 PM
CEJohnson21
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Slickster63
after looking to do my own ... I went with this. Might cost more, but sure made it easy

http://www.cruztools.com/products/kitshd.html
+1 for cruztools. I added a few items, like wire ties and leatherman, but the kit is pretty good for basic work on the road.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:06 PM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the softail toolboxes on both sides of my FXST. One side is empty, so I can lock my gun in there iuf I need to, and the other has a nylon toolbag with pretty much every tool I've ever needed to do any part replacement, repair, modification, etc . - it really doesn't take much.

Even at home, if I'm doing anything from an oil change to swapping out some chrome parts, I use the kit I carry. The thing I use the most is a set of Torx bits for a ratchet and one of those screwdrivers you get at the Home Depot checkout, with the 4 reversible bits. I also kkep a ratchet, spark plug socket, half inch socket and extension for exhaust, 10mm wrench for battery terminals, allen wrenchs to fit my air cleaner cover, riser bolts, transmission plug, windshield, drain plugs, etc.

I figure if anything goes wrong, it will be something leaking or loose, so just take the tools to tighten major stuff back.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:18 PM
MysticTraveler
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Besides some basic tools... I carry the Slime mini air compresor, some Slime (they have it for tubes and non-tubes), and a Delran quick-connect cable that I can use to jump start if needed.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:28 PM
SIDECAR BOB
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

hate to sounds like an add for Harley but they have an multi function screwdriver , black handle has like 12 different bits,will adapt to slot phillips and most of the torx sizes you need on the bike and also like 4 different size nuts, about 25 dollars, I put one on every bike , would love to find out who makes it for harley to see if its any cheeper , is really well made and the bits seem hig quality too, after that it depends on what you plan to do most of the suggestions posted her are great.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:39 PM
Nirvana
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SIDECAR BOB
hate to sounds like an add for Harley but they have an multi function screwdriver , black handle has like 12 different bits,will adapt to slot phillips and most of the torx sizes you need on the bike and also like 4 different size nuts, about 25 dollars, I put one on every bike , would love to find out who makes it for harley to see if its any cheeper , is really well made and the bits seem hig quality too, after that it depends on what you plan to do most of the suggestions posted her are great.
I have that tool. I think it's $20 and is supposedly made for HD by Snap-On. I think it's one of the more useful and resonably priced accessories you can buy from HD.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:40 PM
smittyp83
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by brenn
I have the softail toolboxes on both sides of my FXST. One side is empty, so I can lock my gun in there iuf I need to, and the other has a nylon toolbag with pretty much every tool I've ever needed to do any part replacement, repair, modification, etc . - it really doesn't take much.

Just an FYI - unless you get the HD toolboxes re-keyed, they can be opened with ANY HD barrel key. Just something to keep in mind when storing things of value in them.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:43 PM
Nirvana
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Even at home, if I'm doing anything from an oil change to swapping out some chrome parts, I use the kit I carry. The thing I use the most is a set of Torx bits for a ratchet and one of those screwdrivers you get at the Home Depot checkout, with the 4 reversible bits. I also kkep a ratchet, spark plug socket, half inch socket and extension for exhaust, 10mm wrench for battery terminals, allen wrenchs to fit my air cleaner cover, riser bolts, transmission plug, windshield, drain plugs, etc.
I like this approach. I'm trying to put together a dedicated set of tools just for the bike and then have a tool roll for traveling I can populate from this larger set of tools.

Old 01-09-2012, 03:20 PM
Keefersan
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I figure if anything goes wrong, it will be something leaking or loose, so just take the tools to tighten major stuff back.
This works well. And when you work on something that requires a tool not in the kit you know that you need to add it.

Old 01-09-2012, 03:42 PM
bombdogg
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the input. I am not one to rebuild my motor on the side of the road and would never leave on anything mechanical without duct tape and zip ties. I just was wondering the basics people carried and that one thing I never thought of.

Old 01-09-2012, 04:19 PM
Nevar
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a HD. tool kit [ as a gift] Nice selection of tools. A leather man, mini LED flash light, spare fuses and Tape

Quick Reply: Whats in your tool kit?