General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lamphere Ranch Campground - Sturgis

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 08:43 PM
Paper or Plastic
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lamphere Ranch Campground - Sturgis

I and a few friends are making the trip to Sturgis this year for the rally for the first time. I have done a little bit of research online of the different camp sites. We are going to be staying in a camper. I feel that Lamphere will work best for us, but I would love to hear any thoughts on this place that you guys/gals may have. I have never been there, and I would love to hear from those who have. Thanks.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:14 PM
chuckw2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 384 Likes on 230 Posts

Don't know about Lamphere but you couldn't go wrong at Katmandu, excellent place.
http://www.katmanducampground.com/

Old 01-08-2012, 09:26 PM
cdemarse
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another one to look at is shade valley. Stayed there last year and we are again this year. It was great! Plenty of hot water and people were very nice. I have no complaints about them.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:26 PM
Larry the Landlord
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

We went in 2010 and stayed at the Broken Spoke. We loved the Spoke but hated the dive thru Sturgis.Thd bastards put up temporary stop signs on the main drag that made the drive thru town awful. Think several blocks moving 1 bike lenght at a time.
We are going back this year but will be avoiding the city of Sturgis. We are planning on staying at Hog Heaven.
I have a friend who stays at Lampere and likes it.
Hope this helps.
Larry

Old 01-08-2012, 10:07 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I stayed at Lamphere in 2010, and at shade acres in 09. Lamphere has green grass, real trees the offer a lot of shade. The camping area is very close to the food center. Contrast with shade acres... we camped on a stubble field. It was a motor cycle ride to the toilet or to the eating area. It's about a half hour drive on the highway to get to it. It sucks.

Lamphere is right at the full throttle. You can go, party, watch the FREE concerts, then .. and here is the best part... walk back to your camp. No need to drive, no need to take the buss.

I give it 5 stars, and highly recommend it. Shade I give 1 star and warn you against it.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:28 AM
Paper or Plastic
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lamphere

Thanks for the info.

Old 01-09-2012, 11:02 AM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry the Landlord
We went in 2010 and stayed at the Broken Spoke. We loved the Spoke but hated the dive thru Sturgis.Thd bastards put up temporary stop signs on the main drag that made the drive thru town awful. Think several blocks moving 1 bike lenght at a time.
We are going back this year but will be avoiding the city of Sturgis. We are planning on staying at Hog Heaven.
I have a friend who stays at Lampere and likes it.
Hope this helps.
Larry
Anything on that side of town can be a pain to get to. Full Throttle, Glencoe, Buffalo Chip.

Old 01-09-2012, 11:11 AM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Harley_Dude
Anything on that side of town can be a pain to get to. Full Throttle, Glencoe, Buffalo Chip.
ahhhhh, but you have to know the shortcut. There is a way from the interstate to the other side of sturgis without going through town.

Take the first exit south of sturgis at the cemetery. There is a gravel road that will take you past all the congestion in town. It's gravel so you have to go slow, but better than waiting several hours in traffic in town.

Check google maps. It's on there.

Old 01-09-2012, 11:11 AM
TOMMAY
Stellar HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've stayed at Hog Heaven and it was fine,shady hillsides,plenty of showers,laundry service,decent little open air bar and food. Go the back way into Sturgis via Junction and miss most of the traffic.

Old 01-09-2012, 11:34 AM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by zeus33
ahhhhh, but you have to know the shortcut. There is a way from the interstate to the other side of sturgis without going through town.

Take the first exit south of sturgis at the cemetery. There is a gravel road that will take you past all the congestion in town. It's gravel so you have to go slow, but better than waiting several hours in traffic in town.

Check google maps. It's on there.
sssshhhhhhhhh!

Quick Reply: Lamphere Ranch Campground - Sturgis