General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

to the Harley riders that used to drag knees and go fast

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 05:23 PM
RedNose44
Extreme HDF Member

Received 7,084 Likes on 2,601 Posts

Originally Posted by RoaringRigid
Agreed. In my mind only morons do **** like that on the street. If they want to cripple themselves fine but when the bike goes through someone's windshield and kills an innocent person...

I always get a chuckle out of these kinds of threads I am sure it "feels" like some are doing XXX mph but the reality governed by physics on the US road system says bullshit.

There are MAYBE a handful of roads in the US aside from straight line roads where someone is doing 150 mph or more. Roads just aren't designed to allow for those kinds of speeds. The pavement itself is too thin, the grade of the roads not even remotely adequate etc.

Maybe having a large ***** has kept me from needing to do things like this
I used to run a very well known mountain here in SoCal on weekends where all the fast guys ride and hangout. Most of the 11 miles up the hill were under 100, but in the open area about 1/2 way up I would run just north of 140 mph on my GSXR. Modern sportbikes accelerate very quickly and also brake very well. You would be surprised if you have not been on one.

I don't own one anymore because I saw too many people get kiled and badly injured, and thought I was pushing my luck. I now own a 2400 pound car with a 90" wheelbase and a stroked small block dynoed at 561hp / 547 tq. I think the bikes might have been safer...

Old 01-09-2012, 07:30 PM
dieselguy65
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thats the whole reason i kept my sportbike. dont drag the knees so much on public roads anymore, just aint any kind of safe. but like the ride and speed to much to give it up.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:38 PM
Just Dave
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by deadhawg
Sometimes. But that's why I have a copy of the x-ray of my left leg, showing the steel plate and screws holding it together, on my garage door.

Not that some soccer mom or texting teen couldn't take me out on my RoadGlide any day anyway.
It's weird but I survived almost 30 years with the need for speed on everything from an old H-1, mighty KZ's , Ninja's and even a Turbo charged Yamaha just to name a few. I went down from time to time but I never really got hurt bad until I got a Harley. Took a total of 35 years for it to happen to me.

Yes, I miss those days.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:49 PM
jo_mama
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i would also like to add that i think rice rockets are amazing machines. the power to weight ratios are unreal, the braking systems, shocks, frame design, etc. i did get to see a few moto GP races and they are scary fast and a lot of fun to watch. even in the rain they haul ***. i highly recommend seeing one if you ever get the chance.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:20 AM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by jo_mama
i would also like to add that i think rice rockets are amazing machines. the power to weight ratios are unreal, the braking systems, shocks, frame design, etc. i did get to see a few moto GP races and they are scary fast and a lot of fun to watch. even in the rain they haul ***. i highly recommend seeing one if you ever get the chance.
Before they dropped the CC limit for safety reasons, you have riders pushing over 200mph on the straights of some tracks. I'm sure they're still doing it though.

Originally Posted by RoaringRigid
Agreed. In my mind only morons do **** like that on the street. If they want to cripple themselves fine but when the bike goes through someone's windshield and kills an innocent person...

I always get a chuckle out of these kinds of threads I am sure it "feels" like some are doing XXX mph but the reality governed by physics on the US road system says bullshit.

There are MAYBE a handful of roads in the US aside from straight line roads where someone is doing 150 mph or more. Roads just aren't designed to allow for those kinds of speeds. The pavement itself is too thin, the grade of the roads not even remotely adequate etc.

Maybe having a large ***** has kept me from needing to do things like this
It's OK to be scared of something, but that doesn't mean you have bash it. If you indeed didn't need to prove you had a large e-peen, you wouldn't have had to post this moronic waste of words you think is a post. Doing so, along with feeling the need to brag about it, tends to prove other wise.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:32 AM
dreamer65
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Here some pictures of the stuff I used to race 1978 yamha RD400
1977 bmw rs1000

Old 01-10-2012, 10:39 AM
dreamer65
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

sorryjust figure out how to do atachments lol

1975 kawsak Z1 i900

Last edited by dreamer65; 01-10-2012 at 10:54 AM.