General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rocker Covers

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 07:22 PM
Galdog
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Rocker Covers

Ordered some new rocker covers today (black wrinkle texture to match engine), and the parts guy was trying to sell me the zinc hex flange bolts and chrome hot toppers for the covers instead of the chrome bolts. He was trying to tell me the chrome washers may affect the bolts when I torque them down????? This kinda lost me.....
Has anyone here ever had issues with the chrome bolts and washers on rocker covers (they are being torqued down to 15-18 ft-lbs)? Harley actually sells a chrome hardware kit for the rocker covers (94059-03).

Old 01-06-2012, 08:53 PM
hatchetman
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If I'm torquing a bolt down on anything it will be clean & smooth. I will put a slick of molly paste or Vaseline under the head of the bolt so I get proper torque readings. "No friction". So, I think your just fine!
Hatch.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:14 PM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Chrome plating a fastener (bolt) does tend to weaken the strength of the metal, ever so slightly. This can be an issue with Main Bearing, Connecting Rod, Cylinder Head Bolts and such. When dealing with the Rocker Boxes on our motorcycles there is no such issue because the size of the bolt and the very low torque specification will come nowhere near the capabilities of the bolt.

Now, that said, you may want to consider that a Chrome Fastener placed in contact with another Chrome Fastener can result in some electrolytic action that may stain either the Fastener or the item that the Fastener is securing.

As for lubing a bolt, the threads or the thrust faces of the bolt. You want to consult with the specifications. Some specifications (in fact most that do not specify a thread sealant) are given as "Dry" specifications. Others are given with instructions to use some sort of a lubricant either on the threads, the thrust face or both. Not following the designers intention will either have the fastener over-torqued or under-torqued. Either is equally a long term problem. I would not "automatically" lube all fastener threads before torquing them. (It's not sex, it's a machine.) Most torque specifications are for "Dry" threads and using a lubricant when none was intended will result in significantly over tightening things. In the absence of any instructions it is best to assume a "Dry" specification. Since the ill effects of doing this wrong may take some time (months & years) and/or many thousands of miles to appear, it can give some folks the impression that they are doing the right thing.