General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Financed or paid up front?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012 | 02:43 PM
howitzer88
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Snarly
Anyone;
I swear I had to sign
about 25 sheets of paper and when I questioned the guy he
said most of was because of the cash. I never had such
a disgusting, time consuming experience in my life, and we
had nothing to haggle over as we got that done quick, no
warranty BS or extras.

Three letters: I. R. S. They turn the docs over to DEA to capture drug dealers paying cash for vehicles.

Old 01-06-2012 | 02:47 PM
RoaringRigid
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,868 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by pccoder
Curious who's financed versus paying in full up front.

Harleys are expensive compared to many things. Americans are usually NOW people and won't wait until they can afford something they want.

Given the amount of money spent on customizing these bikes I'd find it somewhat ironic that people are making payments on something they don't technically own and spending thousands on modifications at the same time.

I typically buy used and then rebuild them in my own image. So I guess I am in the cash column.

I am not big on buying non necessity items with credit. I am patient enough to wait for things like that.

My financial priorities are to ensure our investments are good to go, mortgage, bills, with current economy I like to have at least 6 months cash on hand.

I don't understand buying a bike off the show room on credit getting hammered with depreciation on top of interest/fees.

In a similar thread folks tried to convince us that they are getting free money with their loans so why use cash. there is no such thing as free money doesn't exist. And on top of that when you finance you have to be insured out the *** etc.

You can go on craig's list and unfortunately find just about any bike you want (at least here) for much less than what was paid a year or 2 ago for it.

If I can get a bike with 4K miles on it for much less than a new bike I will do it in a heart beat. There are always bikes on there with someone who is over their head with loans who is dumping the bike for whatever he or she can get.

Old 01-06-2012 | 02:54 PM
PnDegc
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

50/50 here 50% cash which was pretty good for us. Paid balance early and have title.
A good feeling to "own" a Harley.

Old 01-06-2012 | 02:55 PM
RoaringRigid
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by howitzer88
Three letters: I. R. S. They turn the docs over to DEA to capture drug dealers paying cash for vehicles.
No not really a bank or whatever will file a SAR or CTR those reports will go to FinCen database and typically sit there until an investigation is opened or someone gets around to searching for you in the Db.

DEA and others in some locales experimented awhile back on getting a heads up on SARs filed for various reasons. They quickly realized they didn't have the manpower etc to do that. Some may do that for hot list people but the vast majority of FinCen hits are when an agency is looking in to someone and part of the investigation is/should be to check the "blackhole" as its called for reporting.

There are probably a few areas they do this with as does ATF. Especially when transactions are for stuff like red phosphorous and other chems used in bomb making or meth production.

My point being is that the paperwork 99% of the time is basically a waste of time and intrusive. Trust me I understand the terrorism finance and dope dealer issue but for most of the SARs and CTRs filed it is just paperwork filed on honest citizens.

Typical gov't failure to do things the right way

Old 01-06-2012 | 03:13 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,379 Likes on 2,547 Posts

Originally Posted by RoaringRigid

In a similar thread folks tried to convince us that they are getting free money with their loans so why use cash. there is no such thing as free money doesn't exist. And on top of that when you finance you have to be insured out the *** etc.
i'm not gonna say mine was 'free' money, but with the amount that i'm paying on it, and the length of time it will take to get paid off, i felt that it was worth it to pay the finance charge and have the bike now, rather than save the money and get the bike later.

as far as insurance goes, whether i paid cash or financed it, i would still have the same amount of insurance. these things are damned expensive! if i drop it, someone pulls out in front of me, whatever, i want to be able to get it fixed....

Old 01-06-2012 | 03:14 PM
Snarly
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by howitzer88
I know about the IRS, it was mentioned even back in
'05 when I bought my Roadking, but I only remember
signing one paper for them and only signed about 3
other papers all together. Nothing like this time. If I'd
have been a drug dealer I would have told em to forget it
and walk out, how would that help catch drug dealers? I
could see them giving the IRS a record of my purchase,
but why is it necessary for me to sign so many. I needed
a rubber stamp, well next time maybe.

Old 01-06-2012 | 03:24 PM
Snarly
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RoaringRigid

(Cut Some)

There are probably a few areas they do this with as does ATF. Especially when transactions are for stuff like red phosphorous and other chems used in bomb making or meth production.

My point being is that the paperwork 99% of the time is basically a waste of time and intrusive. Trust me I understand 0
Yeah, like buying a Chrysler to make a bomb out of it?
On second thought maybe it is a bomb, ready to blow.

Old 01-06-2012 | 03:33 PM
RoaringRigid
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Snarly
Yeah, like buying a Chrysler to make a bomb out of it?
On second thought maybe it is a bomb, ready to blow.

Hey my dad was a Mopar man

Old 01-06-2012 | 03:34 PM
RoaringRigid
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by skratch
i'm not gonna say mine was 'free' money, but with the amount that i'm paying on it, and the length of time it will take to get paid off, i felt that it was worth it to pay the finance charge and have the bike now, rather than save the money and get the bike later.

as far as insurance goes, whether i paid cash or financed it, i would still have the same amount of insurance. these things are damned expensive! if i drop it, someone pulls out in front of me, whatever, i want to be able to get it fixed....
Hey we all have to do what fits our life. It has to be done the way that is right for you.

Old 01-06-2012 | 03:35 PM
cam-921
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Detroit Iron;9223999]I think the cash payers are more eager to chim in. Nobody wants to have debt, nor do they want to admit to having debt.

I'll admit it. I financed 90% of my bike, reg, and sales tax, at a very ugly interest rate. Not bad credit, just insufficient...gotta start somewhere. I bought brand new because if I end up keeping her for 20+ years, it'd be nice to say I was the only one to ever touch those grips. I financed because I don't have that kind of money in cash and if i haven't saved it in 32 years, I don't see it happening soon. I wanted it, I can afford it, so i bought it. Myself and many others like me work hard, support our wives, kids, and wives' kids, don't gamble, don't do drugs, not an alcoholic, etc...who's to tell us we can't have things we want because we don't have a stack of cash stashed in a shoebox? My $0.02.

Quick Reply: Financed or paid up front?