General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Financed or paid up front?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012 | 10:01 AM
rpbrown
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Financed for the first month and then got my commission check for the quarter. Paid it off then.

Old 01-06-2012 | 10:06 AM
Wide_Open
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 149 Likes on 83 Posts

Paid cash.

Old 01-06-2012 | 10:06 AM
Mntsnow
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

financed as the returns on investments and interest is better than the interest I pay on the bike loan so I'm money ahead keeping my cash working for me and enjoying the bike now and it is helping re-establish my credit history from a prior marriage/divorce.

Old 01-06-2012 | 10:19 AM
junior07
Road Master
Received 89 Likes on 52 Posts

As someone said earlier, Some of you guys must have alot of cash lying aroung.

Before I was married I was very good with money and would pay off any big ticekt items purchased on a credit card within a year. Bought my first new car in 1990 and paid it off in 2 years. Unfortunately I got married to a money sink 5 years later. Divorced 4 years ago and I am only now I am only now starting to get my finances back in order.

I was able to fulfil my lifelong dream of owning a Harley only after my mother passed away in 2008. After deaing with all of the funeral arrangements and expensed there was a little cash left over so I bought the Harly.

However, even though i had the cash to pay in full, in 2009 at my dealer they were offering a $1,000 rebate with approved HD credit. So I applied for the credit, took $1K off, Paid the minimum for three months, then paid the balance in full. The interest accrued over the firs three months was less than $300.00 so I came out $700 ahead by financing.

Maybe when my finances are in order again, probably 2020 I will have enough cash saved to start paying cash agian. But then again after living expenses and child support it may take even longer. gotto start pllayin the lottery.

Old 01-06-2012 | 10:34 AM
Detroit Iron
Tourer
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

I think the cash payers are more eager to chim in. Nobody wants to have debt, nor do they want to admit to having debt.

I had a little cash to put down on my Fat Boy which made my payment an acceptable $249. I figure I would spend that much in fuel if I were driving my car. I ride the bike all I can. I feel like it pays for itself. That's my justification.

Old 01-06-2012 | 10:39 AM
millzog
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 118 Likes on 113 Posts

Mine was a gift so it was free and clear .

Old 01-06-2012 | 10:49 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,379 Likes on 2,547 Posts

yeah, i financed my bike. but i pay extra every month so my loan will be paid off early. i figure if i did the 'pay myself every month, put the money in an account and when i have enough i can pay cash' thing, i would miss out on 2-3 years of good riding. its worth the finance charge to me to have my bike now. shoot, by the time i had enough saved up to pay cash, i might get stuck with having to buy a water cooled hd...... ewww, ick...

Old 01-06-2012 | 11:00 AM
cptdenny
Road Warrior
Veteran: Army
Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by pccoder
Unfortunately, someone steals your bike and you have....

1. No bike.
2. No cash.
3. Wait for insurance company to "reimburse" you.
LOL taking financial advice from someone that has no finances.
If you have a loan and your bike gets stolen, hopefully you won't be upside down or you'll have GAP insurance for the difference of what the insurance pays off and what you STILL OWE on the loan.

In most states having your bike paid off means not having to purchase the more expensive insurance to cover it.

If you got a loan, you're paying someone for that cash.

Making payments on a boat or motorcycle in the dead of winter when the spouse nags you to get rid of it is another headache.

I rather purchase HOG stocks every month than make loan payments, especially if I live in the snow belt.

In the end it's YOUR money, spend it the way you see fit.

Old 01-06-2012 | 11:11 AM
oakspeed
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

paid cash for mine, brand new from the dealer.
finally something good to come out of my divorce,

Old 01-06-2012 | 11:23 AM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Financed a small amount on my 2010 FLHX for 12 months and paid off in 6. Previous bike paid cash!

Quick Reply: Financed or paid up front?