General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Financed or paid up front?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012 | 07:50 PM
cdestuck
Supporter
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 217 Likes on 103 Posts

Vehicles and bikes are done with cash. They are so much cheaper when you do it that way. Save up first for the first one and pay yourself til ya want the next one and on you go. But, that's just me I guess.

Old 01-06-2012 | 08:00 PM
pccoder
|
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by PFWiz
Almost nobody admits to financing their bike....

I find that strange...

I have enough cash in the bank to buy my bike twice over and then pay for the mods to both of them. But I financed most of my bike...

Yep, put the money I was ahead in the Heritage, almost $6,000 down and financed the rest.

Why?

It's simple really. I think it is much easier to make my payment (about $300) each month than it is to save up nearly $24,000. My bank accounts never go down (unless I move the money to stocks or other investments) they only go up each and every year.

They say you are supposed keep at least 6 months living expenses available. I have closer to 4 years worth ready without touching my retirement.

I think having cash on hand and available is more important than not having a payment. That said the only payments I have are the bike, my wifes car and the house. Every bill, every credit card is always paid in full when recieved....

If I can't afford it , I don't buy it. That does not mean I don't finance it.
I totally agree with you. I'm thinking all the full cash paid responses are either used, inexpensive purchases or wiping out there savings.

My wife and I make a very good living, but I chose to finance for exactly the same reasons. I like knowing I can sustain myself for years based on my savings as opposed to cleaning myself out on something that depreciates at such a fast pace. IMHO.

Old 01-06-2012 | 08:29 PM
Gonzy
Gonzy
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

In my book there's nothing wrong with using credit wisely and responsibly. I sure didn't have $21,000 sitting around when I bought my RK. So I put down over a third down and financed the rest. Just like some others, I figured there's nothing wrong with getting something now and enjoying rather than waiting and waiting until I had the cash to pay for it. As I said, you have to use credit wisely and responsibly.

Old 01-06-2012 | 08:36 PM
gred-04
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Paid in cash for my last couple.

Old now so have more disposable income.

Have financed bikes in the past.

Old 01-06-2012 | 08:54 PM
PureDeath
Road Warrior
Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by fmnspooch
surprised they let you borrow the money from your 401k for a bike. I knew you could do that for a home purchase, but a harley, pretty cool.
Yea you can borrow up to 1/2 of your 401K, they don't ask what your buying with it...........the title was in my hand with in two weeks.
Example: Hell if you have 40k in your account and take a loan out for 5k you can still take out another loan before you paid the first one off, as long as its not more than 1/2 of your total. But no more than two loans at a time, this was my first new Harley and I have owned used ones too....nothing wrong with a good deal when you find one. Now if only I could win the lottery and paid my house off in cash........................LOL!

Old 01-06-2012 | 09:31 PM
Al.
Intermediate

Originally Posted by junior07
As someone said earlier, Some of you guys must have alot of cash lying aroung.

I found out when you get out of debt and stay out of debt the cash builds up quickly.
Also tend to spend ALOT less when I pay cash. It hurts to part with cash compared to swiping a card. I buy alot less crap with cash now compared to when I had credit cards. Cut them all up years ago.

Bought used this year, paid cash. 98 RKC

Old 01-06-2012 | 09:41 PM
Dake
Club Member
Received 1,039 Likes on 1,031 Posts

It is a toy no financing here on just 9000.00.

Old 01-06-2012 | 09:51 PM
Zap
Club Member

Originally Posted by Al.
I found out when you get out of debt and stay out of debt the cash builds up quickly.
Also tend to spend ALOT less when I pay cash. It hurts to part with cash compared to swiping a card. I buy alot less crap with cash now compared to when I had credit cards. Cut them all up years ago.
Now that's smart. I'm pretty much the same way, although
I didn't give up my credit card. I don't carry a balance on it
but I use it to pay for gasoline, I hate making two trips to the
inside just to gas up. It also comes in handy for those times
you need a card to reserve a room, and a few other things.

Old 01-06-2012 | 10:05 PM
Al.
Intermediate

I had to get rid of the credit cards because the wife couldn't control herself. Even a trip to walmart and she would come back with $200 of stuff we didn't need.

Most families have 2 car payments, and 2 or 3 credit card payments. That's how it was with us. $1000 a month in payments.

It's funny how so many people that have the higher incomes have less cash and more debt.
If a person can make 75 grand a year but live on 60 grand a year the cash adds up real fast.

Old 01-06-2012 | 10:09 PM
pccoder
|
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

ok, everyone, it wasn't a contest.

Just curious how everyone's bikes were paid for.

Quick Reply: Financed or paid up front?