General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i think i finally got scammed, info so you don't

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 06:13 PM
LoLo
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a set of stock Deluxe bars with risers off my 2007 Deluxe. Dont know if theyre different from th 2011. If ya want em PM me. just pay for the shipping

Old 01-05-2012, 06:23 PM
tincup64
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST
Everyone that says paypal will take care of it, is not reading the post very closely. He bought on "Ebay classifieds"...which is supposed to be local only. It is not covered under ebays normal protection... so you may be screwed...keep us posted.
you're right Tom, it was ebay classified. i did send them a dispute email and this was the response. not much help but at least they will remove the seller...maybe.

tin

Date: 2012-01-04 15:59:05
E-mail: deld64@aol.com
Ad Id: 11625501
i bought this item from your user on 12/22. paid with paypal. i've not received any return correspondence confirming shipping after multiple attempts to email, voicemail and texting. i've opened up a dispute with paypal and would like this resolved.

thank you

Date: 2012-01-05 00:21:41
Name: Jasmine
Hi Del,

Thank you for contacting eBay Classifieds Community Support.

I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing this unfortunate situation, Del. In order for us to take the proper action against this seller can you please confirm the item you purchased as well as the email address of the seller?

That being said there is little we can do to rectify this situation as eBay Classifieds is simply a local platform to connect buyers and sellers. All transactions and the details of the transactions are completed between the two parties. At no time does eBay Classifieds get involved in these details or the transaction itself. We do not offer any types of verification of who a person is, payment services or insurance. Therefore any disputes or issues regarding payment and shipment of an item must be dealt with directly between the buyer and seller. If you feel you have been defrauded, contact your local police department.

I'm sorry we couldn't be of more help, but I hope to hear back from you soon so I can remove this seller from our site right away.

Thanks,
Jasmine
www.ebayclassifieds.com

Was this reply helpful? yes / no

Old 01-05-2012, 06:44 PM
tincup64
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by LoLo
I have a set of stock Deluxe bars with risers off my 2007 Deluxe. Dont know if theyre different from th 2011. If ya want em PM me. just pay for the shipping
thanks lolo - very thoughtful. i will ask my dealer tomorrow as i am awaiting my parts book and let you know. i will gladly pay what they are worth.

tin

Old 01-06-2012, 04:34 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 20,117 Likes on 5,824 Posts

Originally Posted by SgtSkiddz
And none of us are talking about eBay covering anything. We are talking about PayPal. Yes they are owned by the same people but ANY purchase made on PayPal is covered. I checked specifically after reading this and PayPal does cover eBay classified purchases.

Except for the fact that it plainly says on the website that nothing on ebay classifieds is covered

How do I stay safe while using eBay Classifieds?

Solution While most individuals who use eBay Classifieds have success with buying, selling, renting or connecting with others, from time to time we do receive reports of people attempting to scam or defraud our users. We have found that one of the best ways to address this problem is to ensure that all transactions take place locally and in-person.

Please take the following precautions while using eBay Classifieds:

When buying or selling, you should meet in-person to see the product and exchange funds. eBay Classifieds is all about local transactions.

NEVER send or wire money to sellers or buyers. This includes mailing a check or using payment services like Bidpay, Western Union or Money Gram to pay for items found on eBay Classifieds. If a buyer sends an "overpayment" and asks that you send the difference back to them via a check/money order, this is a scam.

Do not give out personal or banking information (e.g. social insurance number, bank account number) over the Internet.

Inform eBay Classifieds of any attempted fraud or suspicious emails, Ads, or other activity by community members. In case of fraud, file a police report and contact us.

eBay Classifieds International Limited, eBay, PayPal or any other company does not offer any sort of buyer protection programs or secure payment systems for eBay Classifieds items. Any emails or web sites that refer to these programs are scams, even if they may have the eBay Classifieds logo. If you receive any emails promoting these services, please forward the message to our Help Center.

Use common sense. If something sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Old 01-07-2012, 04:18 PM
SgtSkiddz
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Except for the fact that it plainly says on the website that nothing on ebay classifieds is covered

How do I stay safe while using eBay Classifieds?

Solution While most individuals who use eBay Classifieds have success with buying, selling, renting or connecting with others, from time to time we do receive reports of people attempting to scam or defraud our users. We have found that one of the best ways to address this problem is to ensure that all transactions take place locally and in-person.

Please take the following precautions while using eBay Classifieds:

When buying or selling, you should meet in-person to see the product and exchange funds. eBay Classifieds is all about local transactions.

NEVER send or wire money to sellers or buyers. This includes mailing a check or using payment services like Bidpay, Western Union or Money Gram to pay for items found on eBay Classifieds. If a buyer sends an "overpayment" and asks that you send the difference back to them via a check/money order, this is a scam.

Do not give out personal or banking information (e.g. social insurance number, bank account number) over the Internet.

Inform eBay Classifieds of any attempted fraud or suspicious emails, Ads, or other activity by community members. In case of fraud, file a police report and contact us.

eBay Classifieds International Limited, eBay, PayPal or any other company does not offer any sort of buyer protection programs or secure payment systems for eBay Classifieds items. Any emails or web sites that refer to these programs are scams, even if they may have the eBay Classifieds logo. If you receive any emails promoting these services, please forward the message to our Help Center.

Use common sense. If something sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
I sent an email to Paypals resolution center, here is thier answer.

Thank you for contacting PayPal.

If you buy something that never arrives, or if it arrives significantly different than described, you're eligible for a full refund through PayPal Purchase Protection.
You are eligible for PayPal Purchase Protection if:
You used PayPal, an eBay invoice or clicked the "Pay Now" button to purchase the item.
You paid for the item with one payment (items purchased with multiple payments are not eligible for Purchase Protection).
The dispute is for tangible, physical goods that can be posted and are not prohibited by PayPal. Payments for intangibles, services, licenses, items that violate eBay's Prohibited or Restricted items policy, and other digital content are not protected.
You open a dispute in your PayPal account via the Resolution Center within 45 days of the payment. You can work with the seller in the Resolution Center to resolve the problem.
If you can’t resolve the problem with the seller, you can ask us to investigate by escalating the dispute to a claim.
To learn more about PayPal Purchase Protection, click ‘Legal Agreements’ at the bottom of any PayPal page, and then click "PayPal User Agreement."
Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Sincerely,
Benjamin
Protection Services Department
PayPal, an eBay Company

Original Message Follows: ------------------------
Form Message customer subject: legacy
customer message: >Topic: 'Disputes'
>Sub Topic: 'Buyer Complaints'
>case_id: ''
>message: 'Don't want to open a dispute. Just have a question.
>If I use PayPal to purchase something on eBay classifieds, and don't receive the item, does PayPal protection cover that?'

Old 01-07-2012, 04:56 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 20,117 Likes on 5,824 Posts

I sent an email to Paypals resolution center, here is thier answer.

Read it...it is a "canned" answer about buying on ebay...not ebay classifieds.

You are eligible for PayPal Purchase Protection if:
You used PayPal, an eBay invoice or clicked the "Pay Now" button to purchase the item.
Ebay classifieds has none of these, just phone numbers to contact the seller.(or email if you don't want to post your number) You are expressly warned not to send anyone money.

Old 01-07-2012, 05:12 PM
SgtSkiddz
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Read it...it is a "canned" answer about buying on ebay...not ebay classifieds.

Ebay classifieds has none of these, just phone numbers to contact the seller.(or email if you don't want to post your number) You are expressly warned not to send anyone money.
Yeah, I noticed the the part about the "buy it now" etc, also. After reading all this, and due to my limited (never used it) use of ebay classifieds I would say its pretty much up in the air. I wouldn't count it out yet cause paypal covered a purchase I made off of Craigslist, so I guess its just up to their discretion. Lots of good info to be learned in this thread tho.

Old 01-09-2012, 04:16 PM
tincup64
Road Warrior

Yeah, I noticed the the part about the "buy it now" etc, also. After reading all this, and due to my limited (never used it) use of ebay classifieds I would say its pretty much up in the air. I wouldn't count it out yet cause paypal covered a purchase I made off of Craigslist, so I guess its just up to their discretion. Lots of good info to be learned in this thread tho.
perfect sgt.... this was exactly why i started the thread in the first place.

btw, still no word from the thief, or any bars....

tin

Old 01-09-2012, 04:30 PM
Jd Swiper
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bummer Dude, I hope you get your money recouped!

Old 01-20-2012, 04:53 PM
tincup64
Road Warrior

I got my money back from this thief. I went through the paypal resolution process and filed a claim. i stated my case online very clearly and with all the facts, emails, pictures and basically any documentation i could find. Then i had to wait. they tried to contact him for some kind of response and he blew them off also. he had 10 days to respond and he didn't. the entire process took 16 days and i got my $45 back less than a month from being ripped off. i don't think they ban him from payal though - that would have been icing on the cake. below is the response from paypal. thank you for ALL your support and keep his information around so you don't become another victim of this scammer.

tin

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Resolution of Your Case: #PP-001-614-XXX-XXX
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Del,

We have concluded our investigation into your case and have decided in your
favor.

We were able to recover $45.00 USD and this amount has been credited to
you. Please allow five business days for this adjustment to be posted.

If you are due any additional funds, we will make our best effort to
recover the balance from the seller.

If the seller's account has insufficient funds to complete the refund owed
to you, please be assured that we will take appropriate action against the
seller's account, which may include limitation of the seller's account
privileges.

Quick Reply: i think i finally got scammed, info so you don't